    if this is why I tend to get noisy shadows with ACR compared to DPP?
    I also played with white balance and the problem remained. Has anyone
    else experienced this issue?

    W, Oct 17, 2006

  2. W

    bmoag Guest

    You really should try a few other converters to realize that the programmers
    have made arbitrary decisions about baseline settings when images are first
    opened.
    You should, however, be able to get images to the same point regardless of
    the converter using both the converter and Photoshop.
    Photographers have preferences for different converters because their
    aesthetic preferences correspond to those that guide the programming of the
    converter they prefer or the workflow that the converter follows.
    Having tried nearly every Nikon compatible converter I can only see this as
    an aesthetic and not a technical issue.

    bmoag, Oct 17, 2006

  3. W

    W Guest

    I understand your point and it generally makes sense. However, when I
    find the reality of 'standing on my head' in an unsuccessrful attempt
    to make ACR not clip the low end of the blue channel (leaving a spike
    at 0) while DPP does this at its default starting point with this image
    I begin to wonder. I also see the attendant noisy shadows which I
    suspect is related to this. I have to wonder if in the 'gamma
    conversion' stage (or who nows where), ACR just doesn't (at least for
    the 20D) 'do it right' and the user is left to unsuccessfully try to
    correct its 'mistakes'.
    All I really want to do is shoot photos. I thought I was happily
    settled on ACR, but these issues are convincing me otherwise. I don't
    know the details of the basic RAW conversion stage, but I have to
    wonder if ACR is making some 'wrong assumption' about the blue pixels
    in the Bayer array or gamma correction or who knows what. I don't know
    how much these things differ between sensors, but I would think Canon
    knows the details of their sensor better than any third party. I am not
    a fan of DPP user interface, I love CA correction in ACR (lens
    correction in PS proper does not seem to do as good a job). BUT, if DPP
    gives 'better looking' results overall (cleaner shadows, better overall
    rendition), I will have to go there.

    W, Oct 18, 2006