    and why do you have chosen for option A or option B

    Thanks in advanced

    , Jun 4, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > lets say i have a random motherboard that supports up to 4 DDR2 DIMM,
    > lets say i want to buy 4 gigz of RAM
    >
    > what would be better if I buy
    > A 2 times 2 Gigz, or
    > B 4 times 1 Gig of RAM
    > and why do you have chosen for option A or option B
    >
    > Thanks in advanced

    I would choose the cheapest option.

    Just because the mother board will hold four DDR2s does not necessarily mean
    that it will hold 4 1 gig. DDR2s, it may be limited to 512M chipsets.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 4, 2008

  3. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > lets say i have a random motherboard that supports up to 4 DDR2 DIMM,
    > lets say i want to buy 4 gigz of RAM
    >
    > what would be better if I buy
    > A 2 times 2 Gigz, or
    > B 4 times 1 Gig of RAM
    > and why do you have chosen for option A or option B
    >
    > Thanks in advanced

    The earlier tests on DDR2, showed virtually no difference between
    running two sticks and running four sticks. For example, on
    Anandtech, they didn't have to change CAS, to make the memory
    run properly. There were only minor differences in timing.

    Every motherboard is different in this regard -

    1) Some only run properly, using the latest BIOS.
    2) Some seem to have problems with 4GB or 8GB installed.
    Bumping Vdimm or Vnb, sometimes helps in the transition from
    three sticks to four sticks.
    3) Memory is now available, at much higher speeds than the
    original Anandtech bus loading tests. At the higher speeds,
    there are fewer guarantees that four sticks will work as well.
    Just because a memory says "DDR2-1066", doesn't mean it
    will work at that speed in all motherboards. You may have
    to accept a lower operating speed.

    If the memory is being run at one of the higher speeds, I'd
    probably buy the 2x2GB setup.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 4, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Jun 4, 5:21 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > lets say i have a random motherboard that supports up to 4 DDR2 DIMM,
    > > lets say i want to buy 4 gigz of RAM

    > > what would be better if I buy
    > > A 2 times 2 Gigz, or
    > > B 4 times 1 Gig of RAM
    > > and why do you have chosen for option A or option B

    > > Thanks in advanced

    > The earlier tests on DDR2, showed virtually no difference between
    > running two sticks and running four sticks. For example, on
    > Anandtech, they didn't have to change CAS, to make the memory
    > run properly. There were only minor differences in timing.
    >
    > Every motherboard is different in this regard -
    >
    > 1) Some only run properly, using the latest BIOS.
    > 2) Some seem to have problems with 4GB or 8GB installed.
    > Bumping Vdimm or Vnb, sometimes helps in the transition from
    > three sticks to four sticks.
    > 3) Memory is now available, at much higher speeds than the
    > original Anandtech bus loading tests. At the higher speeds,
    > there are fewer guarantees that four sticks will work as well.
    > Just because a memory says "DDR2-1066", doesn't mean it
    > will work at that speed in all motherboards. You may have
    > to accept a lower operating speed.
    >
    > If the memory is being run at one of the higher speeds, I'd
    > probably buy the 2x2GB setup.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for the help i really appreciate it.
    I'm very crazy with pc and have to know the full knowhow what is
    better and what can increase performance. :d

    , Jun 6, 2008
  5. ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jun 6, 9:34 am, wrote:
    > On Jun 4, 5:21 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:
    > > > lets say i have a random motherboard that supports up to 4 DDR2 DIMM,
    > > > lets say i want to buy 4 gigz of RAM

    > > > what would be better if I buy
    > > > A 2 times 2 Gigz, or
    > > > B 4 times 1 Gig of RAM
    > > > and why do you have chosen for option A or option B

    > > > Thanks in advanced

    > > The earlier tests on DDR2, showed virtually no difference between
    > > running two sticks and running four sticks. For example, on
    > > Anandtech, they didn't have to change CAS, to make the memory
    > > run properly. There were only minor differences in timing.

    > > Every motherboard is different in this regard -

    > > 1) Some only run properly, using the latest BIOS.
    > > 2) Some seem to have problems with 4GB or 8GB installed.
    > >     Bumping Vdimm or Vnb, sometimes helps in the transition from
    > >     three sticks to four sticks.
    > > 3) Memory is now available, at much higher speeds than the
    > >     original Anandtech bus loading tests. At the higher speeds,
    > >     there are fewer guarantees that four sticks will work as well.
    > >     Just because a memory says "DDR2-1066", doesn't mean it
    > >     will work at that speed in all motherboards. You may have
    > >     to accept a lower operating speed.

    > > If the memory is being run at one of the higher speeds, I'd
    > > probably buy the 2x2GB setup.

    > >     Paul

    > Thanks for the help i really appreciate it.
    > I'm very crazy with pc and have to know the full knowhow what is
    > better and what can increase performance. :d- Hide quoted text -

    _______________
    Memory is the most important - even more critical than the type of
    processor - parameter!

    Having enough memory ensures that you probably will never have to use
    hard-disk space as "virtual" memory, called swap-file or page-filing.
    Using the hard-drive as memory results in more frequent and severe
    fragmentation. I recently defraged a laptop that was T H I R T Y - F
    O U R P E R C E N T fragmented! You read that right - 34%.

    Over time, even with running defrag, the operating system will become
    corrupted and the computer will die a slow horrible death due to
    depleted/insufficient resources. Having sufficient memory also speeds
    up boot-up and how quickly programs start running.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 7, 2008
  6. It depends on what you want to do with your computer.
    I have herd that some people that game when they but 4 1gb ram sticks they
    lose some frames per a seconds on the graphics.
    If you are not going to do gameing i would have 4 1gb sticks.
    If you only wanted it for photoshop or multimedia i would do it.
    But you should know this all windows os's except for windows xp pro 64x
    edition and vista x64 editions can only acess 3.50 gb of it.

    computergeek3000, Oct 21, 2008
  7. Baron Guest

    computergeek3000 wrote:

    > It depends on what you want to do with your computer.
    > I have herd that some people that game when they but 4 1gb ram sticks
    > they lose some frames per a seconds on the graphics.
    > If you are not going to do gameing i would have 4 1gb sticks.
    > If you only wanted it for photoshop or multimedia i would do it.
    > But you should know this all windows os's except for windows xp pro
    > 64x
    > edition and vista x64 editions can only acess 3.50 gb of it.
    >
    > "overcookd" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ;7998460 Wrote:
    >>> lets say i have a random motherboard that supports up to 4 DDR2
    >>> DIMM, lets say i want to buy 4 gigz of RAM
    >>>
    >>> what would be better if I buy
    >>> A 2 times 2 Gigz, or
    >>> B 4 times 1 Gig of RAM
    >>> and why do you have chosen for option A or option B
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advanced

    >> Go for the option that costs less and will fit in the macine.
    >> simple
    >>

    >> --
    >> overcookd

    If you run speed tests on your ram with one then two or more sticks you
    may see a slow down compared to one. If your machine is capable of
    interleaving two or four sticks you may see a speeding up compared to
    just one.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.