More Ram = Slower?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. I was running 2GB (Corsair 2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram) on Windows
    Vista Home Premium x64 and Vista rated it at a 5.3. Today I installed an
    extra 2GB (same type of ram for all 4 sticks) which brings my computer up 2
    (Corsair 4 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram) and Vista rated it at 5.2.
    Is there any reason for this performance drop? I thought more ram was
    suspost to be better. Is my ram not configured right in the bios?

    This is what I have right now.

    Timing Mode - [Manual]
    Memclock index value (Mhz) - [400Mhz]
    Cas# latency (Tcl) - [3]
    Min Ras # active time (Tras) - [7T]
    Ras# to cas# delay (Trcd) - [3T]
    Row precharge time (Trp) - [3T]
    Row cycle time (Trp) - [10T]
    Row refresh cycle time (Trfc) - [11T]
    Read-to-write time (Trwt) - [4T]
    Write Recovery Time (Twr) - [3T]
    1T/2T memory timing - [2T]
    S/W Dram over 4G Remapping - Enabled
    H/W Dram over 4G Remapping - Enabled

    My System Specs:

    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64
    LG Flatron Slim 19" LCD Monitor
    Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ~2.2Ghz Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce7900 GT PCI-Express 256MB Graphics Card
    500 Watt Power Supply
    Corsair 4 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram
    Pioneer DVD-RW/DVR-111D/CD-ROM-RW
    Creative Megaworks THX 250-D 2.1 Speaker System

    I want the best performance out of my computer so if you guys can tell me
    what to edit/change I would appreciate it.

    =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, Feb 11, 2007

  2. NpGreg04 wrote:
    > I was running 2GB (Corsair 2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram) on
    > Windows Vista Home Premium x64 and Vista rated it at a 5.3. Today I
    > installed an extra 2GB (same type of ram for all 4 sticks) which
    > brings my computer up 2 (Corsair 4 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR
    > Ram) and Vista rated it at 5.2. Is there any reason for this
    > performance drop? I thought more ram was suspost to be better. Is
    > my ram not configured right in the bios?
    >
    > This is what I have right now.
    >
    > Timing Mode - [Manual]
    > Memclock index value (Mhz) - [400Mhz]
    > Cas# latency (Tcl) - [3]
    > Min Ras # active time (Tras) - [7T]
    > Ras# to cas# delay (Trcd) - [3T]
    > Row precharge time (Trp) - [3T]
    > Row cycle time (Trp) - [10T]
    > Row refresh cycle time (Trfc) - [11T]
    > Read-to-write time (Trwt) - [4T]
    > Write Recovery Time (Twr) - [3T]
    > 1T/2T memory timing - [2T]
    > S/W Dram over 4G Remapping - Enabled
    > H/W Dram over 4G Remapping - Enabled
    >
    > My System Specs:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x64
    > LG Flatron Slim 19" LCD Monitor
    > Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
    > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ~2.2Ghz Processor
    > NVIDIA GeForce7900 GT PCI-Express 256MB Graphics Card
    > 500 Watt Power Supply
    > Corsair 4 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram
    > Pioneer DVD-RW/DVR-111D/CD-ROM-RW
    > Creative Megaworks THX 250-D 2.1 Speaker System
    >
    > I want the best performance out of my computer so if you guys can
    > tell me what to edit/change I would appreciate it.
    >
    > I want the best performance out of my computer so if you guys can
    > tell me what to edit/change I would appreciate it

    With some motherboards the DDR 400 clock is automatically downgraded to 333
    when 4 sticks are installed.
    --
    email: http://viadresse.com/?15121940
    garcin lazare, Feb 11, 2007

  3. Hi, 2X 1GB is better as you found out. 3 or 4X slows the memory to a 2T
    memory process. it is a flaw with the Asus board. Check it out better at
    www.overclockers.com 2GB should be fine.

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RpbHVw?=, Feb 11, 2007
  4. These are good points, (the answers above!). But do realize that the Vista
    Rating is not a Benchmarking that you can use for absolute comparison. It
    gives a comparison to what other components were tested as they went through
    production. This goes a while back, and maybe your 4GB isn't comparing as
    well to other 4GB's that were tested at the time, as your 2GB compared to
    the 2GB's that was tested at the time!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 11, 2007
  5. It does not have to be that way.
    I have 4x1024 MBytes BallistiX DDR2 PC-8000 and my Windows Experience Index
    is almost as high as possible, 5.9 Memory.

    http://max.ownit.nu/WEI5.8.png

    My board is an Asus, as you see in my signature.

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
    Core 2 Extreme X6800

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Feb 11, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    According to the rating it is based on memory operations per second. The
    rating may have changed because Microsoft has moved the goal posts, but if
    needed, the larger memory is still faster to access than anything on disk
    (pagefile), so if used, your system will respond faster even if the memory
    operation is the same or even a little slower.

    John Barnes, Feb 11, 2007
  7. What do you mean by "Microsoft has moved the goal posts"?

    This is really strange, whenever I refresh my performace test, I am now only
    getting 5.0. I tried the test with 2GB and it rated my ram to be a 5.0. I
    then put back my other 2GB (4GB all together now) and it's saying it's 5.0.
    So now basically it's saying 2GB is the same rating as 4GB. I dunno if this
    is a good thing or bad bec. yesterday it was saying 2GB was faster than 4GB
    and now it's saying it's the same rating. But shouldn't I have a 5.9 rating
    like how Maratonmannen has. I managed to get 5.9 once yesterday (I dunno
    what I did) but for some reason I can't get to the 5.9 again.

    Should I really concern myself with the Vista Performace rating? Will my
    4GB increase my performace (even if it's a slight one) over 2GB?

    =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, Feb 12, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=

    Dshai Guest

    If it runs and does what you want it to do then what difference does a
    number in a non-essential program really make?

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Feb 12, 2007
  9. What John is saying (and I agree) is - if you need 4GB, and don't have it,
    then your processor will operate from the pagefile much of the time. If then
    you add memory to 4GB, then you will see better performance - but, like I
    said above, you may not see it in the 'rating' because it is not an absolute
    comparison.

    More RAM isn't going to be faster on it's own, it's just more of the same
    thing. It is only when you start using it that you see how over-stressed
    your system was with only 2GB available. So, if you don't see any
    performance increse, you have elbow-room in there to stress it further
    without seing any performance decrese!

    The greatest use of benchmarks, that I can see is to confirm that your gear
    is great - or more often that it stinks! There isn't anything available to
    benchmark your personal satisfaction. If you get 5.3 from PC 3200 DDR
    memory - then that is overwhelmingly great, I think. I get 5.7 from DDR2 800
    CL4.0 memory and that was pretty expensive!

    The Vista Performance rating is still not a true Benchmark, just an index
    into the performance of the available hardware at the time when they
    initially tested the system.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 12, 2007
  10. I have posted my issue I was having on many forums and I got many replies. I
    have concluded the following:

    (1) With an Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard, with 4GB, it will auto set the MHz to
    333. To set it to 400 MHz, I had to go into the bios and change the settings
    from Auto to Manual. So it is possible to run 4GB at 400 MHz. Setting it to
    400Mhz improved performance.

    (2) Windows Vista Performance Rating is not a true benchmark.

    (3) Microsoft just updated the Vista Performance Rating a few days ago. I
    am getting 5.0 with my 4GB of ram now. I tried 2GB and I got 5.0 as well. I
    am assuming that since 2GB and 4GB run at Duel Channel mode, they are running
    at the same speed and 4GB is not faster than 2GB. I tried 1GB and 3GB and
    got a lower rating due to they were running at single channel mode.

    (4) 4GB is better than 2GB when using Windows x64 even though the Vista
    Performance rating is saying they are the same. Windows XP/Vista x32 can
    only utilize around 2.5GB max (from what I heard). Windows XP/Vista x64 can
    use 4GB efficiently. So when I am multi-tasking, 4GB will def. come in handy
    with Windows Vista x64.

    Other things I have observed:

    -Creative Sound Cards crackle/pop when using more than 3GB. So I had to get
    rid of my Creative X-fi and use onboard sound. No biggies, since I have
    really good speakers, I hardly notice any difference between Onboard and
    Creative X-fi.

    -Although 4GB does not speed up anything, I am sure it will come in handy
    when I alt + tab out of a video game and when I am doing some heavy
    multi-tasking. Since more games are more demanding now a days, they require
    more ram and that is where I will benefit the most with using 4GB over 2GB.
    Not sure if I’ll get any higher frame rates, lol.

    I want to thank everyone who replied with there input. You guys and girls
    helped me out a lot.

    -NpGreg04

    PS: If I am missing anything else or if any of you had any questions,
    please feel free to ask.

    =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=, Feb 12, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    > (2) Windows Vista Performance Rating is not a true benchmark.

    It is a true benchmark, just not what you want. Changing what an arbitrary
    number represents makes sense as the system components increase their
    abilities.

    > (3) Microsoft just updated the Vista Performance Rating a few days ago.
    > am getting 5.0 with my 4GB of ram now. I tried 2GB and I got 5.0 as well.
    > am assuming that since 2GB and 4GB run at Duel Channel mode, they are
    > running
    > at the same speed and 4GB is not faster than 2GB. I tried 1GB and 3GB and
    > got a lower rating due to they were running at single channel mode.

    The bandwidth, frequency and latency are what will affect what the rating is
    based on

    > (4) 4GB is better than 2GB when using Windows x64 even though the Vista
    > Performance rating is saying they are the same. Windows XP/Vista x32 can
    > only utilize around 2.5GB max (from what I heard). Windows XP/Vista x64
    > can
    > use 4GB efficiently. So when I am multi-tasking, 4GB will def. come in
    > handy
    > with Windows Vista x64.

    32-bit can use the 4gig. Some for the system and some for programs.

    >> -Creative Sound Cards crackle/pop when using more than 3GB. So I had to
    >> get

    > rid of my Creative X-fi and use onboard sound. No biggies, since I have
    > really good speakers, I hardly notice any difference between Onboard and
    > Creative X-fi.

    Interesting. Glad you have a satisfactory solution.

    > -Although 4GB does not speed up anything, I am sure it will come in handy
    > when I alt + tab out of a video game and when I am doing some heavy
    > multi-tasking. Since more games are more demanding now a days, they
    > require
    > more ram and that is where I will benefit the most with using 4GB over
    > 2GB.
    > Not sure if I’ll get any higher frame rates, lol.

    While it doesn't increase the flow thru your memory bus, it does speed
    things up that would otherwise have to access hard disk/pagefile for
    instructions or data which is much, much slower.
    John Barnes, Feb 12, 2007
  12. Pardon me, but I think you are 'off' on that one, John. Benchmarks result in
    absolute figures. You measure what something is capable of. These figures
    you don't go about adjusting as technology moves on.

    Granted, the Performance Index is based on benchmarks - an Index into the
    absolute performance of the device as measured by the benchmark - the Index
    you can later adjust to fit in devices that wasn't available for testing
    earlier. An Index is therefore, itself, not a true benchmark.

    I won't continue stressing the point, it would be splitting hairs and is
    meaningless - after all, you may be right, it's just a matter of definition.
    I just think it sad if the meaninglessness carries over into people's minds
    about what the performance index is supposed to point at, namely, a figure
    describing the ability of the hardware to take advantage of AeroGlass and
    nothing more, I believe. It was never intended to be used as a benchmark.
    And I'll be very surprised if they'll continue to adjust the Rating for very
    much longer, it is rapidly outliving it's life expectancy as it is.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 12, 2007