    the RAM to 512MB. Would this have a positive effect on the CPU ?

    Thank you,

    Daniel

    Daniel, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Daniel

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Daniel <> wrote:

    > Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
    > the RAM to 512MB.

    Me too! Why, it was only yesterday that I had windows 98se at 64mb ram.

    > Would this have a positive effect on the CPU?

    Have a positive effect on the cpu? That's a joke right?

    > Thank you, Daniel.

    You can repay me by sucking my cock.

    pcbutts1, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    No that's not a joke. I gave this as an example (tho extreme). Sorry if
    I seem a total newbie and perhaps asked the "wrong" question here.

    Daniel, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Daniel

    Guest

    Your processor first goes to L1 Cache, then to L2 Cache, then to ram
    and finally to your hard drive when it is looking for information.

    If you only have 64 meg of ram, your processor is forced to go to a
    major bottleneck, the hard drive more often.

    Having more ram would free up your processor to perform other
    operations. More ram will have a positive effect on your entire
    computer.

    chilimac

    On 8 Jul 2005 18:18:38 -0700, "Daniel" <> wrote:

    >Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
    >the RAM to 512MB. Would this have a positive effect on the CPU ?
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    >Daniel

    , Jul 9, 2005
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thank you for your answer. So if I have very little ram (as per my
    example) then it would make sense that the cpu may be working at near
    maximum all the time but when ram is increased substantially then the
    workload on the cpu (and on the system in general) is lessened ... Am I
    correct ?

    Daniel, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Daniel

    Plato Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
    > the RAM to 512MB. Would this have a positive effect on the CPU ?

    Yes. For SE 128 is really the minimum as SE uses more than 64 just to
    bootup.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Ok, thank you so much for the replies.

    Daniel, Jul 10, 2005
  8. Daniel

    Drifter Guest

    On 8 Jul 2005 18:31:45 -0700, "Daniel" <> wrote:

    >Thank you for your answer. So if I have very little ram (as per my
    >example) then it would make sense that the cpu may be working at near
    >maximum all the time but when ram is increased substantially then the
    >workload on the cpu (and on the system in general) is lessened ... Am I
    >correct ?

    No, what is happening is that your CPU is waiting a lot for the Hard
    drive to finish reading/writing virtual memory.
    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Jul 10, 2005
  9. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Alright, thank you again.

    Daniel, Jul 12, 2005
  10. "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Let's say I have Windows 98SE at 64mb ram and 800 PIII and I increase
    > the RAM to 512MB. Would this have a positive effect on the CPU ?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Daniel

    You are really asking the wrong question, what you want to
    know is whether adding ram will speed up whatever your PC
    is doing.
    They answers is YES!!! AND NO!!

    It depends you see, if you system is 'disc bound' ie it
    dos not have enough fre memory to do its jobs and
    constantly had to access the hard drive for 'virtual memory'
    then it should show quite a dramatic improvement.

    However if your PC is not disc bound it will make
    "bugger all" diference.
    The more things you run at once the more likely
    it will become diskbound. However people usually
    only run one application at a time (usually).

    For example my old CPU struggles to play some
    modern video ( .wmv) as it is just not up to the job.
    No ammount of extra memory is likely to help (I think).
    I very much doubt it is disk bound as I would hear
    my very noisy drives crunchinig away if it was.
    (or drive light flashing).

    The PC which I will be buyiiiig this week (Athlon 64 3200)will
    have a CPU about 20 times faster than wot I
    have now (Cyrix MII).

    Donald McTrevor, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Alright, thank you again for the informative reply! :)

    Daniel, Jul 21, 2005