More questions about digitizing slides

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Skylamar, Aug 26, 2010.

  1. Skylamar

    Skylamar Guest

    I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    about Windows.

    She doesnÕt have lots to spend but I've seen good reviews of the
    CanoScan 8800F and the CanoScan9000F on Amazon. I think she should
    purchase one of them, but I need to find out what the differences are
    between them first.

    Anyway, I'm trying to figure out, once she gets the scanner, how she
    should proceed. At what resolution should she scan the slides? How
    should she store them?

    I have no idea what resolutions make sense. As for storing the photos,
    I'm thinking maybe she will need to buy a small external hard drive.
    However, I'm also thinking that relying on just one drive is risky if
    we want the photos to be secure for years. So, I'm wondering if she
    should put the slides, or at least the most important ones, onto an
    online backup service. I just don't know if she'll be willing to pay a
    monthly fee if the number of slides requires one. Over time, paying the
    monthly fee could cost more than having Costco or some other company
    scan the slides to DVDs/CDs instead of having her do all the scanning
    herself.

    Another idea, at least for now, is to get a USB Flash Drive, 16GB or
    32GB and save the photos onto it. In addition to doing regular
    backups, every week, I save my Mac's most important files to two 16GB
    USB drives (which I put in a safe) and it works great.

    I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    the 9000F comes with:

    CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
    Adobe¨ Photoshop¨ Elements, ArcSoft¨ PhotoStudio¨, MP Navigator EX,
    NewSoft¨ Presto! PageManager¨ (Windows only), ScanSoft¨ OmniPage ¨ SE

    I have Photoshop Elements for Mac but I'm not familiar with the other
    PC software that comes with the scanner. I know that Photoshop
    Elements, the retail version, comes with Adobe Bridge. But I want
    software for my mom that is simple to use.

    Thanks for reading this.

    Skylamar
    Skylamar, Aug 26, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Skylamar

    nospam Guest

    In article <i55alj$9n7$>, Skylamar
    <> wrote:

    > Anyway, I'm trying to figure out, once she gets the scanner, how she
    > should proceed. At what resolution should she scan the slides? How
    > should she store them?


    scan at the highest native resolution the scanner can do. you can
    always reduce it later but you don't want to rescan again if you want
    something better if you didn't do it right the first time.

    > I have no idea what resolutions make sense. As for storing the photos,
    > I'm thinking maybe she will need to buy a small external hard drive.
    > However, I'm also thinking that relying on just one drive is risky if
    > we want the photos to be secure for years.


    get two or more drives and make backups. put one offsite.

    > So, I'm wondering if she
    > should put the slides, or at least the most important ones, onto an
    > online backup service. I just don't know if she'll be willing to pay a
    > monthly fee if the number of slides requires one. Over time, paying the
    > monthly fee could cost more than having Costco or some other company
    > scan the slides to DVDs/CDs instead of having her do all the scanning
    > herself.


    some online services offer free storage for a small amount of space,
    like a gig or two. photos add up fast but it might be enough.

    > Another idea, at least for now, is to get a USB Flash Drive, 16GB or
    > 32GB and save the photos onto it. In addition to doing regular
    > backups, every week, I save my Mac's most important files to two 16GB
    > USB drives (which I put in a safe) and it works great.


    whatever you do, make multiple copies.

    > I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    > allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    > browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    > the 9000F comes with:


    lightroom or aperture, and you'll probably want vuescan to do the
    scanning not the canon software. iphoto might even suffice for
    cataloging them.
    nospam, Aug 26, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Skylamar

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <i55alj$9n7$>,
    Skylamar <> wrote:
    >I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >about Windows.


    Since the last post, Rollie Camera has come out with what might be a
    "better" cheap film scanner. Rollie is (or at least was) a real
    camera company and this ~$150 device might have a decent lens & light
    source.


    http://www.rcp-technik.com/typo3/index.php?id=rollei-scanner&L=1

    >
    >She doesnÕt have lots to spend but I've seen good reviews of the
    >CanoScan 8800F and the CanoScan9000F on Amazon. I think she should
    >purchase one of them, but I need to find out what the differences are
    >between them first.
    >
    >Anyway, I'm trying to figure out, once she gets the scanner, how she
    >should proceed. At what resolution should she scan the slides? How
    >should she store them?
    >


    Scan at max quality and burn CDs. You can better experiment with
    presentation once you have a couple hundred shots to work with.

    --
    Al Dykes
    News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising.
    - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail
    Al Dykes, Aug 26, 2010
    #3
  4. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 8/26/2010 4:41 AM, nospam wrote:

    > some online services offer free storage for a small amount of space,
    > like a gig or two. photos add up fast but it might be enough.


    FWIW, FlickrPro costs around $30 a year and has unlimited storage.

    - --
    - -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture -- http://bigstormpicture.com
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Getty: http://www.gettyimages.com/search/search.aspx?artist=Ryan McGinnis
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMdmrMAAoJEIzODkDZ7B1b1NgH/3zleSMcBKL8BRxUPR/IEcch
    4hKFCqfD9TkgHW/GCbwuW02rjRsZraVOEjo7YzsBJ7TbbNilvMwUHfXmPRMyGST0
    C71loIkZkeKYMZFiW71/s+MYiDwL45MNzaaZ9bl9p23ecH5unboefw3zX8v0Y8ye
    59ZYRfOoulXlXex1MOlmVSSYGHBXutEaicU3sQuTjVuFcXjqB347g1nnK3qE2Lmd
    JQ6Ib1+E5huBVrKK+z8wOQXq8RkQjO1Zgdza+QjJUl7oXJ2mTEnfAHE+RAcaO9Ig
    Gh25GI7G1LJJryO1nq7DOJJYjWmhbo2YfftET+uKhn6VY1nMVNObpn0Opzj0cbs=
    =QSvj
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Ryan McGinnis, Aug 26, 2010
    #4
  5. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 8/26/2010 4:03 AM, Skylamar wrote:
    > I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    > decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    > savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    > Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    > about Windows.


    Unless your mom is some kind of computer whiz and doesn't mind sitting
    in front of a computer for one or two hundred hours, this project is
    probably going to be beyond her.

    - --
    - -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture -- http://bigstormpicture.com
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Getty: http://www.gettyimages.com/search/search.aspx?artist=Ryan McGinnis

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMdmu+AAoJEIzODkDZ7B1bDC4H/3QmUc/sUalX3/NZ/2CRxbpe
    4N+05wjjEm38VWCQ+QkXiAZL9iIppJMdjJXfYHFXXEBjaf+mN9HHy5ihsNxbJUs7
    8EEilEYX2O3hM8F+KwQvQR8Bbp0RRq0beqfWXTxeOsyKTvSTWYVJZ+ov5dRWWxO6
    dQskUNJgxpAvNDcEea55mSVfNyQv8aoqMvfJu+TnywCZqkbdH3qc1+yPtTVc7E9g
    izjLMIhOB3rAoNX2X/aJj3Ea/DUM+OEN+IokzgA9VxBWf5IqjPNYgiujFE7d0Yvs
    7xce5y7jceNq5hHMyesr3PLIxgBs+J271X6MTidE5TsOFOUsSpEYZp0sYW8YSxc=
    =kTzG
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Ryan McGinnis, Aug 26, 2010
    #5
  6. Skylamar

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 8/26/2010 9:27 AM, Ryan McGinnis wrote:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > On 8/26/2010 4:03 AM, Skylamar wrote:
    >> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >> about Windows.

    >
    > Unless your mom is some kind of computer whiz and doesn't mind sitting
    > in front of a computer for one or two hundred hours, this project is
    > probably going to be beyond her.
    >
    > - --
    > - -Ryan McGinnis
    > The BIG Storm Picture -- http://bigstormpicture.com
    > Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    > Getty: http://www.gettyimages.com/search/search.aspx?artist=Ryan McGinnis
    >
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
    > Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
    >
    > iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMdmu+AAoJEIzODkDZ7B1bDC4H/3QmUc/sUalX3/NZ/2CRxbpe
    > 4N+05wjjEm38VWCQ+QkXiAZL9iIppJMdjJXfYHFXXEBjaf+mN9HHy5ihsNxbJUs7
    > 8EEilEYX2O3hM8F+KwQvQR8Bbp0RRq0beqfWXTxeOsyKTvSTWYVJZ+ov5dRWWxO6
    > dQskUNJgxpAvNDcEea55mSVfNyQv8aoqMvfJu+TnywCZqkbdH3qc1+yPtTVc7E9g
    > izjLMIhOB3rAoNX2X/aJj3Ea/DUM+OEN+IokzgA9VxBWf5IqjPNYgiujFE7d0Yvs
    > 7xce5y7jceNq5hHMyesr3PLIxgBs+J271X6MTidE5TsOFOUsSpEYZp0sYW8YSxc=
    > =kTzG
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


    I found just using the camera and a slide viewer would satisfy family
    members when it's a question of that or nothing.
    Dave Cohen, Aug 26, 2010
    #6
  7. Skylamar

    Peter Guest

    "Ryan McGinnis" <> wrote in message
    news:4c766aca$0$4285$...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > On 8/26/2010 4:41 AM, nospam wrote:
    >
    >> some online services offer free storage for a small amount of space,
    >> like a gig or two. photos add up fast but it might be enough.

    >
    > FWIW, FlickrPro costs around $30 a year and has unlimited storage.
    >



    One of my criteria is that the site support disabling of the right click.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 26, 2010
    #7
  8. Skylamar

    Peter Guest

    "Ryan McGinnis" <> wrote in message
    news:4c766bbe$0$23828$...
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > On 8/26/2010 4:03 AM, Skylamar wrote:
    >> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >> about Windows.

    >
    > Unless your mom is some kind of computer whiz and doesn't mind sitting
    > in front of a computer for one or two hundred hours, this project is
    > probably going to be beyond her.
    >



    Its' not hard, just tedious.
    Besides, it will keep his mom busy with a useful project. I don't consider
    that a bad thing.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 26, 2010
    #8
  9. Skylamar

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:

    > I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    > decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    > savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person. Also,
    > I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot about
    > Windows.


    What is the objective? Is it 'archival' in case something should happen
    to the slides? Is it because no one wants to drag out the projector any
    more? Or is it simply because that's the 'thing' to do these days?

    As another poster mentioned, it's going to be VERY time consuming if she
    intends to scan every slide at an archival resolution. Unless there is an
    overriding concern, I'd suspect she'd get tired of the whole process
    before the job is done. A more manageable task would be to do 'preview
    scans' at low resolution of the entire set and then do the 'good' ones at
    higher resolution.

    >
    > She doesn’t have lots to spend but I've seen good reviews of the
    > CanoScan 8800F and the CanoScan9000F on Amazon. I think she should
    > purchase one of them, but I need to find out what the differences are
    > between them first.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm trying to figure out, once she gets the scanner, how she
    > should proceed. At what resolution should she scan the slides? How
    > should she store them?
    >
    > I have no idea what resolutions make sense. As for storing the photos,
    > I'm thinking maybe she will need to buy a small external hard drive.
    > However, I'm also thinking that relying on just one drive is risky if we
    > want the photos to be secure for years. So, I'm wondering if she should
    > put the slides, or at least the most important ones, onto an online
    > backup service. I just don't know if she'll be willing to pay a monthly
    > fee if the number of slides requires one. Over time, paying the monthly
    > fee could cost more than having Costco or some other company scan the
    > slides to DVDs/CDs instead of having her do all the scanning herself.
    >
    > Another idea, at least for now, is to get a USB Flash Drive, 16GB or
    > 32GB and save the photos onto it. In addition to doing regular backups,
    > every week, I save my Mac's most important files to two 16GB USB drives
    > (which I put in a safe) and it works great.


    At this point in time, there is little evidence as to the long term
    survivability of the media you mention. Once the scans are complete,
    assuming archiving is the main objective, I'd strongly consider two
    external hard drives. Backup the entire collection to both drives and
    store them separately - perhaps one 'on site' and another in a safety
    deposit box. Once per year (or more) resave to both drives and rotate
    their locations.

    I would not rely on an online service. That would (probably) be fine as
    long as they are there, but they could go belly up at any time without
    notice.

    >
    > I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    > allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to browse
    > through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site, the 9000F
    > comes with:
    >
    > CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide, Adobe®
    > Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX, NewSoft®
    > Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE


    In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
    much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
    would not count on it for more than that.

    What sort of 'organization' is she likely to need? One would hope that
    the slides are 'organized' to some degree - if so then it's easy to copy
    that organization when they are scanned in - but expect to be called in
    any case.

    >
    > I have Photoshop Elements for Mac but I'm not familiar with the other PC
    > software that comes with the scanner. I know that Photoshop Elements,
    > the retail version, comes with Adobe Bridge. But I want software for my
    > mom that is simple to use.
    >
    > Thanks for reading this.
    >
    > Skylamar
    ray, Aug 26, 2010
    #9
  10. Skylamar

    Peter Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:
    >
    >> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person. Also,
    >> I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot about
    >> Windows.

    >

    <snip>

    >> I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    >> allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to browse
    >> through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site, the 9000F
    >> comes with:
    >>
    >> CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide, Adobe®
    >> Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX, NewSoft®
    >> Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE

    >
    > In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
    > much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
    > would not count on it for more than that.
    >



    How much of that software have you actually used?
    Exactly what is wrong with:

    PS Elements;
    ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
    users;
    OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used constantly.

    I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with. But,
    clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.




    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 26, 2010
    #10
  11. Skylamar

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:
    >>
    >>> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >>> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >>> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >>> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >>> about Windows.

    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    >>> allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    >>> browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    >>> the 9000F comes with:
    >>>
    >>> CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
    >>> Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX,
    >>> NewSoft® Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE

    >>
    >> In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
    >> much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
    >> would not count on it for more than that.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
    > with:
    >
    > PS Elements;
    > ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
    > users;
    > OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
    > constantly.
    >
    > I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
    > But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.


    Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
    said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is
    not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
    with computer or photographic equipment.
    ray, Aug 26, 2010
    #11
  12. Skylamar

    nospam Guest

    In article <4c768e71$0$5514$-secrets.com>, Peter
    <> wrote:

    > One of my criteria is that the site support disabling of the right click.


    what for? that does absolutely nothing other than annoy users because
    there is a lot more than save image in the contextual menu and it is
    trivially circumvented anyway.

    if you don't want people to steal the photos, do not post them where
    people can steal them. period.
    nospam, Aug 26, 2010
    #12
  13. Skylamar

    Skylamar Guest

    On 2010-08-26 09:14:48 -0700, ray said:

    > What is the objective? Is it 'archival' in case something should happen
    > to the slides? Is it because no one wants to drag out the projector any
    > more? Or is it simply because that's the 'thing' to do these days?


    The main reason is that my mom moved to a smaller house and the boxes
    of slides are taking up too much room. Also, she never uses the
    projector anymore.

    I also wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded.
    Skylamar, Aug 26, 2010
    #13
  14. Skylamar

    Peter Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >>>> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >>>> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >>>> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >>>> about Windows.
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>> I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    >>>> allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    >>>> browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    >>>> the 9000F comes with:
    >>>>
    >>>> CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
    >>>> Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX,
    >>>> NewSoft® Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE
    >>>
    >>> In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
    >>> much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
    >>> would not count on it for more than that.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
    >> with:
    >>
    >> PS Elements;
    >> ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
    >> users;
    >> OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
    >> constantly.
    >>
    >> I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
    >> But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.

    >
    > Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
    > said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is
    > not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
    > with computer or photographic equipment.



    Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.


    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 26, 2010
    #14
  15. Skylamar

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:58:24 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"ray" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ray" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >>>>> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >>>>> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >>>>> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >>>>> about Windows.
    >>>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>>>> I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    >>>>> allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    >>>>> browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    >>>>> the 9000F comes with:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
    >>>>> Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX,
    >>>>> NewSoft® Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE
    >>>>
    >>>> In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
    >>>> much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
    >>>> would not count on it for more than that.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
    >>> with:
    >>>
    >>> PS Elements;
    >>> ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
    >>> users;
    >>> OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
    >>> constantly.
    >>>
    >>> I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
    >>> But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.

    >>
    >> Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
    >> said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is
    >> not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
    >> with computer or photographic equipment.

    >
    >
    >Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.


    As far as I'm concerned, it is quite possible two separate conditions
    to be extant: 1) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
    useful, and 2) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
    useless. It depends on the specific programs.



    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 26, 2010
    #15
  16. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 8/26/2010 10:29 AM, Peter wrote:
    W, FlickrPro costs around $30 a year and has unlimited storage.
    >>

    >
    >
    > One of my criteria is that the site support disabling of the right click.


    Why would this matter? You can upload photos set to "private" and you
    can set access paramaters rather easily for known family.


    - --
    - -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture -- http://bigstormpicture.com
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Getty: http://www.gettyimages.com/search/search.aspx?artist=Ryan McGinnis

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMdtjYAAoJEIzODkDZ7B1b9gUIAJfRMUj4eSryNVM6WdN/+CKD
    6jeplRMwR/GLezIGCTKAHCRbyEYG67yL7bVCyjuUoeKewUCvhfeR75UED7LWipTV
    eLYSe5QuiPUp2pZoh3oL0qwXkH2dp6XdLVFqmkvkrRsKiISA/F2j31T6fcvrbAhp
    L4uiKAoUKnM6zKDXqYBMoSHTgDQTB1qQw9eb15yqEhz6D9cmS126a9ehuO2Im+9H
    h5Vd0LC3Kw38STYPD0StOb88YDXg/Z3PFAsX8mT92CZmgbZ60eTzCnsMIiW0Pw6+
    4ZeaOVsR/YuiOEmdr3JGTKzc8DMTxTcHYMSTa2cHt+BV/FicsdWygB05oOVOHJs=
    =wkF1
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Ryan McGinnis, Aug 26, 2010
    #16
  17. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 8/26/2010 10:32 AM, Peter wrote:

    > Its' not hard, just tedious.
    > Besides, it will keep his mom busy with a useful project. I don't
    > consider that a bad thing.


    Depends on how you define "hard" -- some moms would figure it out rather
    quickly (mine would), others... well, lets just say that I deal with a
    lot of people who need my help to show them how to delete photos off of
    their P&S SD card. The kind of people who can't figure out that
    pressing the trash can button and then pressing yes will delete your
    photos for you probably won't figure out how to run a Nikon Coolscan.


    - --
    - -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture -- http://bigstormpicture.com
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Getty: http://www.gettyimages.com/search/search.aspx?artist=Ryan McGinnis

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMdtlwAAoJEIzODkDZ7B1bd1AH/REBv1sGvrLE2Oz++7I2aM6G
    ICsZPV59iT3cVO2PXjS69x4+H6AzUSnb/lURhtC99rWsUQ29rYMqOWTnGZ+FRVw/
    7YF1DtwRDxZaC3fmeWUduwukQ3Pc4E7322N3FUIQkCBaR8cs2Fj5Ulb6QPExGLUt
    xC1tiZj0Ct+Om/nscBbEgvfGjN3cG2tsKu7ucZAwOqCLCz/hDGkpHrplEN8TauDB
    bCfxpChHTu4k8QuDpFpc1+b974PVRb4ucrx8kNkW6OuuSrE2cwweaObEipYU0aZk
    qTUavEtUUnOukT9eM0ikXm5nix9AZz469LqUY/6dMFSvCdjj8/fOv7zr9Dc2tNY=
    =V/4I
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Ryan McGinnis, Aug 26, 2010
    #17
  18. Skylamar

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:58:24 -0400, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"ray" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "ray" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >>>>>> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >>>>>> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >>>>>> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >>>>>> about Windows.
    >>>>>
    >>>> <snip>
    >>>>
    >>>>>> I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    >>>>>> allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    >>>>>> browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    >>>>>> the 9000F comes with:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
    >>>>>> Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX,
    >>>>>> NewSoft® Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
    >>>>> much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
    >>>>> would not count on it for more than that.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
    >>>> with:
    >>>>
    >>>> PS Elements;
    >>>> ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
    >>>> users;
    >>>> OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
    >>>> constantly.
    >>>>
    >>>> I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
    >>>> But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.
    >>>
    >>> Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
    >>> said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment
    >>> is
    >>> not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
    >>> with computer or photographic equipment.

    >>
    >>
    >>Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.

    >
    > As far as I'm concerned, it is quite possible two separate conditions
    > to be extant: 1) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
    > useful, and 2) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
    > useless. It depends on the specific programs.
    >



    Absolutely true. Now let's put my comment in context --
    The precise statement to which I replied -- "In my experience, the software
    that comes with the equipment is not of much use...."

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Aug 26, 2010
    #18
  19. Skylamar

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:19:57 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:58:24 -0400, "Peter"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"ray" <> wrote in message
    >>>news:...
    >>>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> "ray" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    >>>>>>> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    >>>>>>> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
    >>>>>>> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    >>>>>>> about Windows.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> <snip>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>> I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    >>>>>>> allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    >>>>>>> browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    >>>>>>> the 9000F comes with:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
    >>>>>>> Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX,
    >>>>>>> NewSoft® Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
    >>>>>> much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
    >>>>>> would not count on it for more than that.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
    >>>>> with:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> PS Elements;
    >>>>> ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
    >>>>> users;
    >>>>> OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
    >>>>> constantly.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
    >>>>> But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.
    >>>>
    >>>> Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
    >>>> said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment
    >>>> is
    >>>> not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
    >>>> with computer or photographic equipment.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.

    >>
    >> As far as I'm concerned, it is quite possible two separate conditions
    >> to be extant: 1) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
    >> useful, and 2) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
    >> useless. It depends on the specific programs.
    >>

    >
    >
    >Absolutely true. Now let's put my comment in context --
    >The precise statement to which I replied -- "In my experience, the software
    >that comes with the equipment is not of much use...."


    Mostly, I wouldn't know. The only software that I've downloaded from
    a disk that came with any camera I've owned was a trial version of Nik
    Software. Nice program, but too expensive for my use for what it
    does. Just a quicker way of obtaining effects that I can do in CS4.

    Nik, like Topaz, has some interesting applications but the full sets
    are expensive.




    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 26, 2010
    #19
  20. i did a project just like this a few summers ago...aprox 1,500 older
    35mm slides...go onto e bay and buy yourself a nikon cool scan
    machine...use it a few weeks, do
    your scanning, and sell it back on ebay...all you are out is your
    time...i think i was doing, like one slide per 15 secs...after i got
    going...it wasn't too bad...family members were very happy to see the
    results...good luck !!! richard / colorado


    On Aug 26, 3:03 am, Skylamar <> wrote:
    > I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
    > decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
    > savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't  help her in person.  
    > Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
    > about Windows.
    >
    > She doesnÕt have lots to spend but I've seen good reviews of the
    > CanoScan 8800F and the CanoScan9000F on Amazon. I think she should
    > purchase one of them, but I need to find out what the differences are
    > between them first.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm trying to figure out, once she gets the scanner, how she
    > should proceed.  At what resolution should she scan the slides? How
    > should she store them?
    >
    > I have no idea what resolutions make sense.  As for storing the photos,
    > I'm thinking maybe she will need to buy a small external hard drive.
    > However, I'm also thinking that relying on just one drive is risky if
    > we want the photos to be secure for years. So,  I'm wondering if she
    > should put the slides, or at least the most important ones, onto an
    > online backup service. I just don't know if she'll be willing to pay a
    > monthly fee if the number of slides requires one. Over time, paying the
    > monthly fee could cost more than having Costco or some other company
    > scan the slides to DVDs/CDs instead of having her do all the scanning
    > herself.
    >
    > Another idea, at least for now, is to get a USB Flash Drive, 16GB or
    > 32GB and save the photos onto it.  In addition to doing regular
    > backups, every week, I save my Mac's most important files to two 16GB
    > USB drives (which I put in a safe) and it works great.
    >
    > I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
    > allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
    > browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
    > the 9000F comes with:
    >
    > CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
    > Adobe¨ Photoshop¨ Elements, ArcSoft¨ PhotoStudio¨, MP Navigator EX,
    > NewSoft¨ Presto! PageManager¨ (Windows only), ScanSoft¨ OmniPage ¨ SE
    >
    > I have Photoshop Elements for Mac but I'm not familiar with the other
    > PC software that comes with the scanner.  I know that Photoshop
    > Elements, the retail version, comes with Adobe Bridge. But I want
    > software for my mom that is simple to use.
    >
    > Thanks for reading this.
    >
    > Skylamar
    ~^ beancounter ~^, Aug 26, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Don and Liz Campbell

    Digitizing 35 mm Slides

    Don and Liz Campbell, Feb 7, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    737
    David Dyer-Bennet
    Feb 15, 2005
  2. Mirsky

    Need Advice on Digitizing Slides

    Mirsky, Apr 24, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    615
    Michael Weinstein
    Apr 28, 2006
  3. IRO

    Digitizing slides with FZ30?

    IRO, Jul 6, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    372
    Malcolm
    Jul 7, 2006
  4. MB
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    2,398
    tomm42
    Jan 15, 2007
  5. newscans

    Negatives, Slides, Photo Scanning/Digitizing

    newscans, Jan 8, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    353
    newscans
    Jan 8, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page