    1. Advertising

  2. Rich

    peter Guest

    peter, Oct 11, 2010

  3. John McWilliams, Oct 11, 2010
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 10, 10:50 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2010-10-10 17:04:55 -0700, Rich <> said:
    >
    > > Ha ha. LOSERS!  (owners).

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/08/iphone.glass.back.cracks.cn...

    > So?
    > Just
    >
    > add it to the list of stuff you are not going to buy.
    > Apple, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Sigma, etc.

    I don't equate Olympus, Fuji, Sony or Sigma as rushing junk to
    market. Some of what they make don't suit what I want, but they
    aren't as low as Apple.

    Rich, Oct 11, 2010
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 10, 8:08 pm, peter <> wrote:
    > On 10/10/2010 8:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    >
    > > Ha ha. LOSERS!  (owners).

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/08/iphone.glass.back.cracks.cn...

    > Uhm!
    >
    > There are still some unanswered3d questions on the table. Did you not
    > see them?
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Probably not. Much like I don't hear the 5th same question from some
    drunk in a bar.

    Rich, Oct 11, 2010
  6. Rich

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:08:14 -0400, peter <>
    wrote:
    : On 10/10/2010 8:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    : > Ha ha. LOSERS! (owners).
    : >
    : > http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/08/iphone.glass.back.cracks.cnet/index.html?hpt=Sbin
    : >
    :
    : Uhm!
    :
    : There are still some unanswered3d questions on the table. Did you not
    : see them?

    You mean like this one?

    Q: Would shattering be a problem if the iPhone's back panel were made of
    plastic instead of glass?

    A: Almost certainly not, since scratched plastic rarely shatters.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 11, 2010
  7. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 11, 5:20 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2010-10-11 00:39:10 -0700, Rich <> said:
    >

    > > On Oct 10, 10:50 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    > > wrote:

    > >> So?
    > >> Just

    > >> add it to the list of stuff you are not going to buy.
    > >> Apple, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Sigma, etc.

    > > I don't equate Olympus, Fuji, Sony or Sigma as rushing junk to
    > > market.  Some of what they make don't suit what I want, but they
    > > aren't as low as Apple.

    > Aah! General Motors then.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    GM cars are more reliable than Eurotrash yuppies all drive.

    Rich, Oct 11, 2010
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 11, 9:54 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 10/11/10 2:39 AM, in article
    > , "Rich"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > On Oct 10, 10:50 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    > > wrote:

    > >> So?
    > >> Just

    > >> add it to the list of stuff you are not going to buy.
    > >> Apple, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Sigma, etc.

    > > I don't equate Olympus, Fuji, Sony or Sigma as rushing junk to
    > > market.  Some of what they make don't suit what I want, but they
    > > aren't as low as Apple.

    > Ignorance is bliss. You are one happy motherfucker.

    Apple Queen.

    Rich, Oct 11, 2010
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 11, 12:52 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:08:14 -0400, peter <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 10/10/2010 8:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    > : > Ha ha. LOSERS!  (owners).
    > : >
    > : >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/08/iphone.glass.back.cracks.cn....
    > : >
    > :
    > : Uhm!
    > :
    > : There are still some unanswered3d questions on the table. Did you not
    > : see them?
    >
    > You mean like this one?
    >
    > Q:  Would shattering be a problem if the iPhone's back panel were made of
    > plastic instead of glass?

    The back panel is glass?? If the front panel was plastic, it would
    scratch more easily, much more easily. Which is why (since not all
    cameras have the option of sapphire display windows like Leica) I
    cover the LCD's on mine with protective film.

    Rich, Oct 11, 2010
  10. Rich

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > wrote:
    : > : On 10/10/2010 8:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    : > : > Ha ha. LOSERS!  (owners).
    : > : >
    : > : >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/08/iphone.glass.back.cracks.cn...
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > : Uhm!
    : > :
    : > : There are still some unanswered3d questions on the table. Did you not
    : > : see them?
    : >
    : > You mean like this one?
    : >
    : > Q:  Would shattering be a problem if the iPhone's back panel were made of
    : > plastic instead of glass?
    :
    : The back panel is glass?? If the front panel was plastic, it would
    : scratch more easily, much more easily. Which is why (since not all
    : cameras have the option of sapphire display windows like Leica) I
    : cover the LCD's on mine with protective film.

    Yes, glass. It gets scratched and sometimes shatters as a result. You posted
    the original link. Didn't you read the article?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 12, 2010
  11. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 11, 10:27 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), Rich <> wrote:
    >
    > : On Oct 11, 12:52 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > : > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:08:14 -0400, peter <>: > wrote:
    >
    > : > : On 10/10/2010 8:04 PM, Rich wrote:
    > : > : > Ha ha. LOSERS!  (owners).
    > : > : >
    > : > : >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/08/iphone.glass.back.cracks..cn...
    > : > : >
    > : > :
    > : > : Uhm!
    > : > :
    > : > : There are still some unanswered3d questions on the table. Did you not
    > : > : see them?
    > : >
    > : > You mean like this one?
    > : >
    > : > Q:  Would shattering be a problem if the iPhone's back panel were made of
    > : > plastic instead of glass?
    > :
    > : The back panel is glass??  If the front panel was plastic, it would
    > : scratch more easily, much more easily.  Which is why (since not all
    > : cameras have the option of sapphire display windows like Leica) I
    > : cover the LCD's on mine with protective film.
    >
    > Yes, glass. It gets scratched and sometimes shatters as a result. You posted
    > the original link. Didn't you read the article?
    >
    > Bob

    It is a junk design. The glass is more thermally stable than normal
    glass, but there is no mention of it being any harder or able to
    resist impact any better than good old crown glass.

    (CNN) -- The iPhone 4 may be an attractive gadget, but keeping it
    looking good can be a high-maintenance task.

    Owners of Apple's newest smartphone are 82 percent more likely than
    those with older models to have their digital companions damaged in
    the first four months they own them, according to a report by
    SquareTrade.

    The company, which sells warranties for electronics products, examined
    about 22,000 reports from its customers who had iPhone 4s and about
    20,000 for iPhone 3G devices, which debuted in 2008.

    "The iPhone 4 is a more fragile device than its predecessors," said
    SquareTrade Marketing Vice President Vince Tseng. "The surface
    area ... which you can scratch or break has basically doubled."

    Whereas the iPhone 3G and the aesthetically identical 3GS were encased
    in plastic, the iPhone 4's backside uses the same glass that covers
    its screen. The original iPhone had an aluminum back.

    At least a quarter of the reported damage for the iPhone 4 involved
    the glass pane on the back, the SquareTrade survey said.

    But Apple has expressed delight with the so-called aluminosilicate
    glass it uses -- though the Cupertino, California, company didn't
    immediately respond to a request for comment for this story.

    "We developed a glass that's 30 times harder than plastic," Apple
    Chief Steve Jobs said onstage during the unveiling of the iPhone 4.
    The company has also said it's "20 times stiffer than plastic."

    The glass is "comparable in strength to sapphire crystal," Jonathan
    Ive, Apple's senior vice president of industrial design, said in an
    online marketing video.

    Some reports have indicated that Apple's use of glass on the iPhone
    4's back has posed a problem for customers using protective cases.

    When Apple announced it would give away free cases to help customers
    with cellular signal issues, Jobs said fewer third-party manufacturers
    offered cases at the product's launch. If fewer iPhone 4 owners are
    protecting their devices, then that could explain the increase in
    damage, said Tseng of SquareTrade.

    "Some customers didn't want to use a protective case," Tseng observed,
    based on reports, "because they wanted to admire the beautiful
    backside of the iPhone 4."

    Rich, Oct 13, 2010
  12. Rich

    -hh Guest

    > Rich <> said:
    >
    > > GM cars are more reliable than Eurotrash yuppies all drive.

    > OK! I'll concede the new Buick Regal GS is quite interesting,
    > considering it is a rebadged Opel Insignia OPC built on the GM Epsilon
    > II platform.
    >
    > ...and it will be built in Germany and China. We will get ours as soon
    > as the ship docks.

    Good luck with it - - I had owned its GM predicessor (GM2900 platform)
    and the simple summary was "Loved the car ... when it ran".

    IIRC, 3 transmission repairs and an engine rebuild by 60K miles, none
    of which were covered by warranty (how convenient), which summed to
    over $7K out of pocket, before finally geting the 3rd Tranny repaired
    for free, along with a partial refund on the engine rebuild from
    finally-successful complaint escalations to corporate.

    What caused the failures is particularly ironic for any complaint from
    Rich: all of the tranny failures were due to GM/Vauxhall choosing to
    use **metal** parts instead of plastic, which due to a dissimilar
    metal based galvanic corrosion, created a ticking time bomb of self-
    destruction obsolescence.

    -hh

    -hh, Oct 13, 2010
  13. Rich

    -hh Guest

    On Oct 13, 12:07 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2010-10-13 06:48:36 -0700, -hh <> said:
    >

    > > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >> OK! I'll concede the new Buick Regal GS is quite interesting,
    > >> considering it is a rebadged Opel Insignia OPC built on the GM Epsilon
    > >> II platform.

    > >> ...and it will be built in Germany and China. We will get ours as soon
    > >> as the ship docks.

    > > Good luck with it - - I had owned its GM predicessor (GM2900 platform)
    > > and the simple summary was "Loved the car ... when it ran".

    > > IIRC, 3 transmission repairs and an engine rebuild by 60K miles, none
    > > of which were covered by warranty (how convenient), which summed to
    > > over $7K out of pocket, before finally geting the 3rd Tranny repaired
    > > for free, along with a partial refund on the engine rebuild from
    > > finally-successful complaint escalations to corporate.

    > > What caused the failures is particularly ironic for any complaint from
    > > Rich:  all of the tranny failures were due to GM/Vauxhall choosing to
    > > use **metal** parts instead of plastic, which due to a dissimilar
    > > metal based galvanic corrosion, created a ticking time bomb of self-
    > > destruction obsolescence.

    > > -hh

    > Now wait a minute! I have no intention of buying a GM product
    > regardless of the "Eurotrash" credentials of the new Buick/Opel. The
    > "we" I referred to when I wrote "...and it will be built in Germany and
    > China. We will get ours as soon as the ship docks. " was the North
    > American market, not my household.

    Ah, my apologies.

    > I was the one who vowed never to even think about a GM product again
    > after my Olds Cutlass nightmare. That led me to my mechanically
    > reliable life with various Subarus, Fords, and Mercedes.
    >
    > My current vehicle is a 2008 Mercedes E350, which has been joyfully reliable.
    >
    > Anyway it is good to see you actually agree with my assessment of GM
    > quality control.

    ....and getting "better" every day:

    <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-15/general-motors-
    recalls-303-100-impala-cars-for-seat-belt-malfunction-risk.html>

    -hh

    -hh, Oct 15, 2010