    next time some multinational company decides that owning your computers is
    a good idea?"
    http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html

    Peter, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Who are the security companies really working for?

    For pete sake $$$$, nothing else. Where have you been?

    Gordon, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Peter

    thingy Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >

    >>Who are the security companies really working for?

    > For pete sake $$$$, nothing else. Where have you been?

    Yep, its the latest salesman snake oil, lots of fancy security products
    to sell....at high margins....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Peter

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >>

    >>> Who are the security companies really working for?

    >> For pete sake $$$$, nothing else. Where have you been?
    >>

    > Yep, its the latest salesman snake oil, lots of fancy security products
    > to sell....at high margins....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I should add low outcomes.

    eg

    We took on a junior sys admin last year 50% of his job was security
    under the security manager learning, he left within 6 months to get a
    "plumb job" with a government organisation.....had'nt learnt much in
    that time, now he "evaluates" security toys all day......gotta laugh.....

    thats life I guess.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 18, 2005
  5. On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >"What happens when the creators of malware collude with the very companies
    >we hire to protect us from that malware?
    >We users lose, that's what happens. A dangerous and damaging rootkit gets
    >introduced into the wild, and half a million computers get infected before
    >anyone does anything.
    >Who are the security companies really working for? It's unlikely that this
    >Sony rootkit is the only example of a media company using this technology.
    >Which security company has engineers looking for the others who might be
    >doing it? And what will they do if they find one? What will they do the
    >next time some multinational company decides that owning your computers is
    >a good idea?"
    >http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html

    Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
    Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs

    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Nov 21, 2005
  6. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "What happens when the creators of malware collude with the very
    >> companies we hire to protect us from that malware?
    >> We users lose, that's what happens. A dangerous and damaging rootkit
    >> gets introduced into the wild, and half a million computers get
    >> infected before anyone does anything.
    >> Who are the security companies really working for? It's unlikely
    >> that this Sony rootkit is the only example of a media company using
    >> this technology. Which security company has engineers looking for
    >> the others who might be doing it? And what will they do if they find
    >> one? What will they do the next time some multinational company
    >> decides that owning your computers is a good idea?"
    >> http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html
    >>

    > Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
    > Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
    >
    > http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

    "The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
    in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
    violations, and that any money would go to the state."

    So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state. I'm all for Sony getting a
    knee in the nuts over this but the "damages", if any, should go to the
    people who bought the CDs in question. I don't see how the state can be
    awarded damages in this case.

    Oh, well, it is Texas, home of Dubya.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2005
  7. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:
    [msge snipped]

    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >> Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
    >> Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
    >>
    >> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

    >"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
    >in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
    >violations, and that any money would go to the state."
    >
    >So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

    Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
    before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
    Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
    What law/s does NZ have on the books?

    > I'm all for Sony getting a knee in the nuts over this but the "damages", if any, should go to the
    >people who bought the CDs in question.

    I don't recall any single or Class Action lawsuit having been brought
    [to date].

    >I don't see how the state can be awarded damages in this case.
    >
    >Oh, well, it is Texas, home of Dubya.

    LOL.

    In California, the Electronic Frontier Foundation filed a suit with
    similar allegations.

    Now what ya say!
    Oh, well it is California, home of [fill in the blank].

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Nov 22, 2005
  8. Peter

    -=rjh=- Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    > [msge snipped]
    >

    >>texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
    >>>Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
    >>>
    >>>http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

    >>"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
    >>in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
    >>violations, and that any money would go to the state."
    >>
    >>So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

    > Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
    > before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
    > Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
    > What law/s does NZ have on the books?
    >

    >>I'm all for Sony getting a knee in the nuts over this but the "damages", if any, should go to the
    >>people who bought the CDs in question.

    > I don't recall any single or Class Action lawsuit having been brought
    > [to date].
    >

    >>I don't see how the state can be awarded damages in this case.
    >>
    >>Oh, well, it is Texas, home of Dubya.

    > LOL.
    >
    > In California, the Electronic Frontier Foundation filed a suit with
    > similar allegations.
    >
    > Now what ya say!
    > Oh, well it is California, home of [fill in the blank].

    Um..the Governator?

    -=rjh=-, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Peter

    Mutlley Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
    ><> wrote:
    >[msge snipped]
    >
    >>texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >>> Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
    >>> Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
    >>>
    >>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

    >>"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
    >>in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
    >>violations, and that any money would go to the state."
    >>
    >>So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

    >Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
    >before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
    >Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
    >What law/s does NZ have on the books?

    Their lawyers to there to sue the pants off their customers who dare
    download a track from a CD.

    Mutlley, Nov 22, 2005
  10. Peter

    shannon Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >> [msge snipped]

    >>> "The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
    >>> in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
    >>> violations, and that any money would go to the state."
    >>>
    >>> So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

    >> Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
    >> before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
    >> Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
    >> What law/s does NZ have on the books?

    > Their lawyers to there to sue the pants off their customers who dare
    > download a track from a CD.

    But they haven't managed to find one yet because NZers are so scared
    that they don't do such things.

    shannon, Nov 22, 2005
  11. On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:55:32 +1300, shannon <> wrote:

    >Mutlley wrote:
    >> texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>> [msge snipped]

    >>> Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
    >>> before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
    >>> Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
    >>> What law/s does NZ have on the books?

    >> Their lawyers to there to sue the pants off their customers who dare
    >> download a track from a CD.

    >But they haven't managed to find one yet because NZers are so scared
    >that they don't do such things.

    For some reason, I thought there had already been a case of peeps in
    NZ being prosecuted for d/l from the likes of Kaaza et al.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Nov 22, 2005
  12. On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:14:27 +1300, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >><> wrote:
    >>[msge snipped]

    >>>"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
    >>>in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
    >>>violations, and that any money would go to the state."
    >>>
    >>>So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

    >>Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
    >>before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
    >>Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
    >>What law/s does NZ have on the books?

    >Their lawyers to there to sue the pants off their customers who dare
    >download a track from a CD.

    How true!

    But still no excuse for their lawyers to check out the various laws
    States have on their books.

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Nov 22, 2005
  13. Peter

    shannon Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    > For some reason, I thought there had already been a case of peeps in
    > NZ being prosecuted for d/l from the likes of Kaaza et al.
    >
    > Cath

    Not that I know of, its the sort of thing that would be publicised for
    its deterrent value if there was such a case.

    shannon, Nov 23, 2005
  14. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    > Now what ya say!
    > Oh, well it is California, home of [fill in the blank].

    The state with the Governator? Need I say more?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2005
  15. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Um..the Governator?

    LOL, should have read more before posting. I like your thinking BTW. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2005