More on photography in public & police action

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Heslop, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/yepyj4

    Snapper to sue police

    Oct 29 2006

    By Sarah Robertson, The Sunday Sun

    A furious Press photographer is to sue a North police force for false
    arrest, claiming he also lost £8000 worth of equipment after being
    cuffed.

    Marc McMahon, who was working with his daughter Carly, 16, said the
    incident was sparked when he tried to take a picture of a man
    threatening to jump off Newcastle's Tyne Bridge.

    He was approached by two police officers and one said he couldn't take
    photographs, despite seeing his ID.

    Marc, 36, said: "I told the officer we were well within our rights to
    take photos as there was no police cordon, it was a public place and
    there were other people standing about taking photographs."

    He began setting up his equipment and the officer arrested him for a
    breach of the peace.

    Marc, of Longbenton, North Tyneside, alleges that when his daughter
    tried to take a photo of him being arrested with her mobile phone it
    was knocked out of her hand and damaged.

    He said: "Despite me having a camera body in one hand and a monopod in
    the other I held my hands out for him to allow him to put his
    handcuffs on me.

    "When the van arrived to take me to the station I asked the officer to
    collect my equipment that was still on the pavement, but I was
    ignored."

    Marc was kept in the cells for 10 minutes and claims when he was
    released he asked for the paperwork for his arrest, only to be given a
    Post-It note with the incident number on and date.

    His equipment has never been found and he claims CCTV footage shows a
    man walking away from the scene with a black backpack that looked like
    his camera bag.

    Mr McMahon has asked his solicitor Peter Dodds to file a complaint
    against Northumbria Police for aggressive assault, unlawful arrest,
    unlawful detainment and excessive use of force on October 17.
    He also made a complaint for negligence for the loss of his camera
    bag.

    He said he is unable to work and wants an apology for the stress
    caused to him by the arrest and compensation for the loss of the
    equipment.

    A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry
    out their jobs when covering events which are happening in public
    places.

    "However the actions of the media must not compromise police
    operations, put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.

    "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening
    to jump from the Tyne Bridge.

    "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Paul Heslop wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/yepyj4

    []
    > A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    > need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry
    > out their jobs when covering events which are happening in public
    > places.
    >
    > "However the actions of the media must not compromise police
    > operations, put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    >
    > "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    > exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening
    > to jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    >
    > "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    Proving that there are plenty of shades of grey between black and white.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > http://tinyurl.com/yepyj4

    > []
    > > A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    > > need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry
    > > out their jobs when covering events which are happening in public
    > > places.
    > >
    > > "However the actions of the media must not compromise police
    > > operations, put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    > >
    > > "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    > > exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening
    > > to jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    > >
    > > "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    > Proving that there are plenty of shades of grey between black and white.
    >
    > David

    I think the real problem here is the treatment of his equipment. It
    seems very VERY heavy handed to arrest someone for something and leave
    their equipment behind, specially in the area in which this happened.
    They'll steal the shoes from a dying man round here and yet they
    knowingly left his equipment standing in the open to be stolen.

    Otherwise yes, there are certainly two sides to the story.

    Paul Heslop, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Paul Heslop wrote:
    []
    > I think the real problem here is the treatment of his equipment. It
    > seems very VERY heavy handed to arrest someone for something and leave
    > their equipment behind, specially in the area in which this happened.
    > They'll steal the shoes from a dying man round here and yet they
    > knowingly left his equipment standing in the open to be stolen.
    >
    > Otherwise yes, there are certainly two sides to the story.

    Yes, the equipment should have been treated better. Perhaps things had
    become too heated, and he was unable to make a polite request about his
    kit?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > []
    > > I think the real problem here is the treatment of his equipment. It
    > > seems very VERY heavy handed to arrest someone for something and leave
    > > their equipment behind, specially in the area in which this happened.
    > > They'll steal the shoes from a dying man round here and yet they
    > > knowingly left his equipment standing in the open to be stolen.
    > >
    > > Otherwise yes, there are certainly two sides to the story.

    > Yes, the equipment should have been treated better. Perhaps things had
    > become too heated, and he was unable to make a polite request about his
    > kit?
    >
    > David

    I wouldn't be surprised. I think the police, and a lot of other
    agencies, are quick to assume everyone is the same. they're so used to
    dealing with troublemakers they don't always think that a certain
    situation could be handled differently. If I am right about the
    incident this guy was trying to photograph it brought a lot of roads
    to a standstill as they shut off two bridges and another is being
    repaired. I can imagine tempers being frayed quite a bit!

    Paul Heslop, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Paul Heslop

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:Ga11h.43443$...
    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/yepyj4

    > []
    >> A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    >> need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry
    >> out their jobs when covering events which are happening in public
    >> places.
    >>
    >> "However the actions of the media must not compromise police
    >> operations, put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    >>
    >> "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    >> exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening
    >> to jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    >>
    >> "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    > Proving that there are plenty of shades of grey between black and white.
    >
    > David

    Sounds more like shades of red to me, if you know what I mean.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 29, 2006
  7. Paul Heslop

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Heslop wrote:
    >> > http://tinyurl.com/yepyj4

    >> []
    >> > A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    >> > need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry
    >> > out their jobs when covering events which are happening in public
    >> > places.
    >> >
    >> > "However the actions of the media must not compromise police
    >> > operations, put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    >> >
    >> > "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    >> > exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening
    >> > to jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    >> >
    >> > "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    >> Proving that there are plenty of shades of grey between black and white.
    >>
    >> David

    > I think the real problem here is the treatment of his equipment. It
    > seems very VERY heavy handed to arrest someone for something and leave
    > their equipment behind, specially in the area in which this happened.
    > They'll steal the shoes from a dying man round here and yet they
    > knowingly left his equipment standing in the open to be stolen.
    >
    > Otherwise yes, there are certainly two sides to the story.
    > --
    > Paul

    You would think if the arrest was conducted properly, the equipment would
    have been held as evidence.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 29, 2006
  8. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > David J Taylor wrote:

    > >> []

    > >> Proving that there are plenty of shades of grey between black and white.
    > >>
    > >> David

    > > I think the real problem here is the treatment of his equipment. It
    > > seems very VERY heavy handed to arrest someone for something and leave
    > > their equipment behind, specially in the area in which this happened.
    > > They'll steal the shoes from a dying man round here and yet they
    > > knowingly left his equipment standing in the open to be stolen.
    > >
    > > Otherwise yes, there are certainly two sides to the story.
    > > --
    > > Paul

    > You would think if the arrest was conducted properly, the equipment would
    > have been held as evidence.
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    well, if there was truth in them slapping the camera phone out of his
    daughter's hand then I'd say it definitely wasn't handled properly.

    Paul Heslop, Oct 29, 2006
  9. Paul Heslop

    Phil Stovell Guest

    On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:00:34 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/yepyj4
    >

    > Snapper to sue police
    >
    > Oct 29 2006
    >
    > By Sarah Robertson, The Sunday Sun
    >
    > A furious Press photographer is to sue a North police force for false
    > arrest, claiming he also lost £8000 worth of equipment after being
    > cuffed.
    >
    > Marc McMahon, who was working with his daughter Carly, 16, said the
    > incident was sparked when he tried to take a picture of a man threatening
    > to jump off Newcastle's Tyne Bridge.
    >
    > He was approached by two police officers and one said he couldn't take
    > photographs, despite seeing his ID.
    >
    > Marc, 36, said: "I told the officer we were well within our rights to take
    > photos as there was no police cordon, it was a public place and there were
    > other people standing about taking photographs."
    >
    > He began setting up his equipment and the officer arrested him for a
    > breach of the peace.
    >
    > Marc, of Longbenton, North Tyneside, alleges that when his daughter tried
    > to take a photo of him being arrested with her mobile phone it was knocked
    > out of her hand and damaged.
    >
    > He said: "Despite me having a camera body in one hand and a monopod in the
    > other I held my hands out for him to allow him to put his handcuffs on me.
    >
    > "When the van arrived to take me to the station I asked the officer to
    > collect my equipment that was still on the pavement, but I was ignored."
    >
    > Marc was kept in the cells for 10 minutes and claims when he was released
    > he asked for the paperwork for his arrest, only to be given a Post-It note
    > with the incident number on and date.
    >
    > His equipment has never been found and he claims CCTV footage shows a man
    > walking away from the scene with a black backpack that looked like his
    > camera bag.
    >
    > Mr McMahon has asked his solicitor Peter Dodds to file a complaint against
    > Northumbria Police for aggressive assault, unlawful arrest, unlawful
    > detainment and excessive use of force on October 17. He also made a
    > complaint for negligence for the loss of his camera bag.
    >
    > He said he is unable to work and wants an apology for the stress caused to
    > him by the arrest and compensation for the loss of the equipment.
    >
    > A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    > need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry out
    > their jobs when covering events which are happening in public places.
    >
    > "However the actions of the media must not compromise police operations,
    > put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    >
    > "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    > exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening to
    > jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    >
    > "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    Cross-posted to uk.legal, where the increasing use of police state tactics
    is of interest.

    --
    Phil Stovell, South Hampshire, UK

    "They said I should not take him to the police, but rather
    let him pay a dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife"

    Phil Stovell, Oct 30, 2006
  10. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Phil Stovell wrote:

    > Cross-posted to uk.legal, where the increasing use of police state tactics
    > is of interest.
    >
    > --
    > Phil Stovell, South Hampshire, UK
    >
    > "They said I should not take him to the police, but rather
    > let him pay a dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife"

    I'm glad you did that and not me :O)

    Paul Heslop, Oct 30, 2006
  11. Paul Heslop

    Phil Stovell Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:29:03 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> Cross-posted to uk.legal, where the increasing use of police state
    >> tactics is of interest.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil Stovell, South Hampshire, UK
    >>
    >> "They said I should not take him to the police, but rather let him pay a
    >> dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife"

    > I'm glad you did that and not me :O)

    A car with blacked out windscreens just parked opposite my house and

    NO CARRIER

    Phil Stovell, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Paul Heslop

    Alex Heney Guest

    On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:23:22 +0000, Phil Stovell <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >> He said he is unable to work and wants an apology for the stress caused to
    >> him by the arrest and compensation for the loss of the equipment.
    >>
    >> A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    >> need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry out
    >> their jobs when covering events which are happening in public places.
    >>
    >> "However the actions of the media must not compromise police operations,
    >> put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    >>
    >> "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    >> exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening to
    >> jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    >>
    >> "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    I can understand their argument as to why media type photography could
    exacerbate the situation,and therefore can understand why they might
    arrest him if he refused to stop setting up.

    But NOTHING gives them any excuse for handcuffing him if he was coming
    peacefully.

    And NOTHING excuses them leaving his equipment on the pavement.
    --
    Alex Heney, Global Villager
    Help stamp out, eliminate, and abolish redundancy!

    Alex Heney, Oct 30, 2006
  13. Paul Heslop

    Dead Paul Guest

> [...]

    >> made a complaint for negligence for the loss of his camera bag.
    >>
    >> He said he is unable to work and wants an apology for the stress caused
    >> to him by the arrest and compensation for the loss of the equipment.
    >>
    >> A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    >> need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry
    >> out their jobs when covering events which are happening in public
    >> places.
    >>
    >> "However the actions of the media must not compromise police operations,
    >> put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    >>
    >> "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    >> exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening to
    >> jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    >>
    >> "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    > Cross-posted to uk.legal, where the increasing use of police state tactics

    No no no, they are only interested in sex cases here. Pedo related is best.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

    Dead Paul, Oct 30, 2006
  14. Paul Heslop

    Joan Guest

    Why didn't the daughter look after the camera gear?

    What happened to the camera body that was in his hand?

    --
    Joan

    Joan, Oct 30, 2006
  15. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Heslop, Oct 30, 2006
  16. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Joan wrote:

    > Why didn't the daughter look after the camera gear?
    >
    > What happened to the camera body that was in his hand?
    >
    > --
    > Joan
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

    good questions, it doesn't mention daughter after her getting her
    camera phone knocked out of her hand, so we have to assume she was
    either crying over it or running after dad. Assumption also that he
    actually took camera body etc with him... but I just found this
    article which says that the daughter is his assistant! Surely she
    should have wrapped everything up for him?

    http://tinyurl.com/ybtkob

    Paul Heslop, Oct 30, 2006
  17. Paul Heslop

    Mike Guest

    "Phil Stovell" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> complaint for negligence for the loss of his camera bag.
    >>
    >> He said he is unable to work and wants an apology for the stress caused
    >> him by the arrest and compensation for the loss of the equipment.
    >>
    >> A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "Police officers are aware of the
    >> need to work with the media and let reporters and photographers carry out
    >> their jobs when covering events which are happening in public places.
    >>
    >> "However the actions of the media must not compromise police operations,
    >> put anyone in danger or obstruct the police.
    >>
    >> "In this case, officers were concerned that media attention could have
    >> exacerbated what was already a tense situation with a man threatening to
    >> jump from the Tyne Bridge.
    >>
    >> "This led to an arrest for breach of the peace."

    > Cross-posted to uk.legal, where the increasing use of police state tactics

    Something like that happened to me but I wasn't arrested. And I'm only 15!

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Oct 30, 2006
  18. Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Joan wrote:
    >>
    >> Why didn't the daughter look after the camera gear?
    >>
    >> What happened to the camera body that was in his hand?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joan
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

    > good questions, it doesn't mention daughter after her getting her
    > camera phone knocked out of her hand, so we have to assume she was
    > either crying over it or running after dad. Assumption also that he
    > actually took camera body etc with him... but I just found this
    > article which says that the daughter is his assistant! Surely she
    > should have wrapped everything up for him?
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ybtkob

    How accurate is "The Sunday Sun"?

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 30, 2006
  19. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Something like that happened to me but I wasn't arrested. And I'm only 15!
    >
    > --
    > Mike

    But harder for you to say you're a press man, Mike.

    Paul Heslop, Oct 30, 2006
  20. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > Joan wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Why didn't the daughter look after the camera gear?
    > >>
    > >> What happened to the camera body that was in his hand?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Joan
    > >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

    > > good questions, it doesn't mention daughter after her getting her
    > > camera phone knocked out of her hand, so we have to assume she was
    > > either crying over it or running after dad. Assumption also that he
    > > actually took camera body etc with him... but I just found this
    > > article which says that the daughter is his assistant! Surely she
    > > should have wrapped everything up for him?
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/ybtkob

    > How accurate is "The Sunday Sun"?
    >
    > David

    I don't think it has anything to with the notorious Sun newspaper. Its
    sister papers are pretty good, the daily Journal and Chronicle. I
    suppose it depends on viewpoint but the sunday papers always seem to
    lean a little towards sensationalist/celeb stuff and the sunday Sun
    does a little too. The second article I posted is from
    www.pressgazette.co.uk/

    Paul Heslop, Oct 30, 2006