more NIKON D50 questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LouisB, May 1, 2006.

  1. LouisB

    LouisB Guest

    What makes the most sense in terms of bundles?

    1. Buy the body and select a couple of lenses, in which case, which ones?

    2. Buy A bundle, in which case should I go for the 18-55mm zoom or the
    18-70mm zoom, which seem to be the common bundles?

    My main interest is outdoor scenes and indoor performance photography (e.g.
    my son's rock band). And occasional snapping.

    Last time I owned a SLR I recall having a really nice 24mm-40mm zoom which
    was a very cool lens. Allowed me lots of creative work outdoors. I think my
    most used lens after that was the standard 50mm lens for family shots etc. I
    think I had a zoom, probably a 200mm jobby but I don't know I used it much
    at all.

    I'm not necessarily after saving money, more making sure I don't get a
    bundle and then find that actually the zoom range of the lens is not what I
    want.

    Is there anywhere on the internet where there are examples which demonstrate
    the zoom range of the 18-70mm lens?

    I may be wrong in my assumption but given the massive size of a picture, why
    do you need anything other than a wide angle, say 18mm, because surely you
    can zoom into the bit of the picture you want and create a fairly decent
    result from that????

    TIA for the collective wisdom of your responses

    LouisB
    ------
    "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

    LouisB, May 1, 2006

  2. LouisB <> wrote:

    > I may be wrong in my assumption but given the massive size of a picture, why
    > do you need anything other than a wide angle, say 18mm, because surely you
    > can zoom into the bit of the picture you want and create a fairly decent
    > result from that????

    I am going to avoid your other questions for now, other than to say get the
    18-70mm, I do not think you will regret it.

    Now, why not use wide for everything? Well, a normal perspective on a 35mm
    camera is about 50mm (about 35mm on a Nikon D50). Anything over that will
    cause space to compress as the focal length increases. Anything less than
    that will cause space to expand as focal length decreases. What this means is
    that wide angle lenses (< 50mm on a 35mm camera) will make an image to gather
    more data and to make the distance of an object from the camera appear to be
    further than it actually is. With a telephoto lens (> 50mm on a 35mm camera),
    distance in a picture from the camera will appear to be less than it really
    is. Try taking the same picture of a person standing in front of building
    using both a wide angle lens up close and a telephoto lens from a distance.
    You will note the difference immediately, as the building will appear further
    behind the person in a wide angle photo than it would with a telephoto photo.

    Also, cropping reduces resolution, so relying on cropping during post
    processing to compose your image is likely to affect the quality of your
    image.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 1, 2006