More Needless single-user start-up choice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Hoberg, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Paul Hoberg

    Paul Hoberg Guest

    "Paul Hoberg" <> wrote in
    @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

    > I'm the only user of my WinXP HE computer. One of the updates
    > made a change, so now when I start the computer, it stops

    mid-way
    > and makes me click on my name. I do not use a password, so I

    can
    > see no benefit for this opportunity to pick a user - only one -
    > me. Also, this seems dangerously susceptible to a virus or
    > hacker, because some of my software protection does not start up
    > until after I select myself as the user. This software was
    > installed before the change occurred, and I was not given a

    choice
    > of when during the start-up process these virus protections and
    > firewall protections should begin. Can I change it back, so I

    can
    > turn on the computer, then leave for a few minutes, and come

    back
    > to find the start-up process completely finished? How?

    control panel, administrative services, computer management...
    open local users and groups - click users
    delete all the user accounts added by the .net framework
    It will now boot straight into windows.

    Jj, thanks for the help... but, the computer management window
    does not offer any "open local users and groups". Is it hidden
    from me, because, while I'm the only user, I do not have
    administrator privileges?
    Paul Hoberg, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Paul Hoberg

    Jj Guest

    "Paul Hoberg" <> wrote in news:SSN_a.2366$2x.294
    @rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net:

    >> control panel, administrative services, computer management...
    >> open local users and groups - click users
    >> delete all the user accounts added by the .net framework
    >> It will now boot straight into windows.

    > Jj, thanks for the help... but, the computer management window
    > does not offer any "open local users and groups". Is it hidden
    > from me, because, while I'm the only user, I do not have
    > administrator privileges?

    To clarify, in the computer management window in the left pane, you should
    see:
    Computer MAnagement (local)
    Sytem Tools

    Expand the branches under sytem tools to get to Users:
    Sytem Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users

    Click "users" in the left pane to get the list of users in the right pane.
    Delete the unnecessary accounts from there by right clicking.

    If you can't see any of that and can't log in as administrator then I'm not
    sure what to do...
    Jj, Aug 14, 2003