More MS spyware??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve Robertson, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. I didnt know that a mouse driver needs internet access
    Zone Alarm warned that the mouse software was trying to connect.

    Steve Robertson, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Steve Robertson

    Dogg Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:41:02 GMT, (Steve Robertson)
    wrote:

    >I didnt know that a mouse driver needs internet access
    >Zone Alarm warned that the mouse software was trying to connect.

    To check for updates? Run a startup editor and see if you can stop it
    from starting up.

    Dogg, Aug 25, 2004

  3. Steve Robertson wrote:
    > I didnt know that a mouse driver needs internet access
    > Zone Alarm warned that the mouse software was trying to connect.

    more? what was the other spyware? :)

    it'll just be checking for updates, just deny it with ZA.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 25, 2004
  4. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:
    >Steve Robertson wrote:
    >> I didnt know that a mouse driver needs internet access
    >> Zone Alarm warned that the mouse software was trying to connect.

    >more? what was the other spyware? :)

    Ah lest start with WIn95. They were caught gathering info about all the
    programs on the HD as part of the registration process.
    MS claimed it was a mistake in the programming.
    Evere wondered why NetBui(originall MS's recommended protocol for small
    netwoks) is well & truly hidden on Xp & TCPIP is so hard disable. Could it be
    that TCPIP is needed to phone home.
    Dont even get me started on MS's involvement in the Moon Landing hoax.

    Steve Robertson, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Steve Robertson

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:40:38 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:
    >>Steve Robertson wrote:
    >>> I didnt know that a mouse driver needs internet access Zone Alarm
    >>> warned that the mouse software was trying to connect.

    >>more? what was the other spyware? :)
    >>

    > Ah lest start with WIn95. They were caught gathering info about all the
    > programs on the HD as part of the registration process. MS claimed it was
    > a mistake in the programming. Evere wondered why NetBui(originall MS's
    > recommended protocol for small netwoks) is well & truly hidden on Xp &
    > TCPIP is so hard disable. Could it be that TCPIP is needed to phone home.
    > Dont even get me started on MS's involvement in the Moon Landing hoax.

    So you're saying NetBEUI is now hidden on the moon?

    That's probably a good thing!

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 26, 2004
  6. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:54:10 +1200, AD. <> says...
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:40:38 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > > <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>more? what was the other spyware? :)
    > >>

    > > Ah lest start with WIn95. They were caught gathering info about all the
    > > programs on the HD as part of the registration process. MS claimed it was
    > > a mistake in the programming. Evere wondered why NetBui(originall MS's
    > > recommended protocol for small netwoks) is well & truly hidden on Xp &
    > > TCPIP is so hard disable. Could it be that TCPIP is needed to phone home.

    No it isn't.

    Netbeui is of very little use to most network users - it can't be routed.

    I'm surprised to hear anyone even uses it these days.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Steve Robertson

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:13:24 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Netbeui is of very little use to most network users - it can't be routed.
    >
    > I'm surprised to hear anyone even uses it these days.

    Also, its one advantage of requiring next to no configuration, is no
    longer relevant now that similar newbie friendly auto configuration
    features are now part of MS and Apple TCP/IP stacks.

    Its packets might be more efficiently sized than TCP/IP, but that
    advantage will be quickly lost once the network bogs down in broadcast
    packets.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 26, 2004

  8. >
    >Netbeui is of very little use to most network users - it can't be routed.

    SMALL NETWORKS that dont need/want internet acess on most PC's.

    Steve Robertson, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Steve Robertson

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message

    > Netbeui is of very little use to most network users - it can't be routed.

    LOL, that's the whole point why you would want to use NetBEUI. For a secure
    internal network.

    > I'm surprised to hear anyone even uses it these days.

    It has is uses in certain circumstances.

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 8, 2004
  10. Steve Robertson

    thing Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Netbeui is of very little use to most network users - it can't be routed.
    >>

    > LOL, that's the whole point why you would want to use NetBEUI. For a secure
    > internal network.
    >

    >>I'm surprised to hear anyone even uses it these days.
    >>

    > It has is uses in certain circumstances.

    I would consider your defination of netbui being "secure" as a little
    strange.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Steve Robertson

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >> "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Netbeui is of very little use to most network users - it can't be routed.
    >>>

    >> LOL, that's the whole point why you would want to use NetBEUI. For a
    >> secure internal network.
    >>

    >>>I'm surprised to hear anyone even uses it these days.
    >>>

    >> It has is uses in certain circumstances.

    > I would consider your defination of netbui being "secure" as a little
    > strange.

    Ummm..... "secure" is relative.

    NetBEUI is a non-routable protocol (as was already mentioned), traffic
    cannot be routed to the internet.

    In the context I was using - NetBEUI is a "relatively" secure protocol to
    use on an internal network that IS ALSO connected to the internet because
    the internal network's traffic CANNOT be routed to the internet.

    If on the other hand, you want to imply that I claimed that NetBEUI was
    without weaknesses, then you'll have to debate further with yourself -
    because I don't see the point in picking a fight for the sake of picking a
    fight.

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 8, 2004

  12. >It doesn't gain you much. For a NetBEUI only LAN that has say a dial up

    But it does stop PC's from getting internet access: some bosses want this.
    People with internet access tend to use it (use it for Porn, Kazza etc:hello
    spyware & big internet bills).
    Probhably irrelevant now with the gateway setting.
    MS did originally(pre WinXp) recommend Netbui over TCPIP for SMALL networks.

    Steve Robertson, Sep 8, 2004
  13. Steve Robertson

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:23:18 +1200, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > In the context I was using - NetBEUI is a "relatively" secure protocol to
    > use on an internal network that IS ALSO connected to the internet because
    > the internal network's traffic CANNOT be routed to the internet.

    It doesn't gain you much. For a NetBEUI only LAN that has say a dial up
    connection on one of the machines, if that machine gets owned/trojaned
    there's nothing stopping the cracker remotely browsing the LAN from the
    dialup machine itself.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 8, 2004
  14. Steve Robertson

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:41:20 +0000, Steve Robertson wrote:

    >>It doesn't gain you much. For a NetBEUI only LAN that has say a dial up

    > But it does stop PC's from getting internet access: some bosses want this.
    > People with internet access tend to use it (use it for Porn, Kazza
    > etc:hello spyware & big internet bills).

    True, but it also prevents you using an intranet or cheap standards based
    (eg smtp, imap, pop3, ldap etc) internal email system. It also prevents
    you using Active Directory, Windows Update, AV updates etc.

    These days a LAN without TCP/IP is pretty limited in what it can do.

    > Probhably irrelevant now with the gateway setting. MS did originally(pre
    > WinXp) recommend Netbui over TCPIP for SMALL networks.

    That was purely because it was easy to configure, not for any security
    reasons.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 8, 2004