    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-pc-makers-less-for-preloading-more/6144>.

    I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    OpenOffice.Org instead...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 12, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    > 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    > Dimdows Live Essentials
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p...>.
    >
    > I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    > OpenOffice.Org instead...

    Wot! Micro$oft should be paying OEM vendors to install this stuff, as
    well as Windows Starter.

    peterwn, May 12, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    >> 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    >> Dimdows Live Essentials
    >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p...>.
    >>
    >> I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    >> OpenOffice.Org instead...

    > Wot! Micro$oft should be paying OEM vendors to install this stuff, as
    > well as Windows Starter.

    Do the vendors get paid if the customer does the purchase of a full
    version of office and upgrades the preinstalled one?

    Richard, May 12, 2010
  4. In message
    <>, peterwn
    wrote:

    > Wot! Micro$oft should be paying OEM vendors to install this stuff, as
    > well as Windows Starter.

    That’s Office Starter. And to add insult to injury, not only are Microsoft
    charging for it, but it’s infested with ads as well.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 12, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:50:31 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall
    > Office 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing
    > Bar and Dimdows Live Essentials
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-pc-makers-less-for-preloading-

    more/6144>.

    > I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would
    > bundle OpenOffice.Org instead...

    Probably $800 each PC if any Open Source software is installed!

    Sweetpea, May 12, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    > 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    > Dimdows Live Essentials
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p...>.
    >
    > I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    > OpenOffice.Org instead...

    On Tuseday night my vista had a suspected rootkit so I recovered the
    original NEC setup to my desktop, talk about crap on it....so anyway
    after removing all the unwanted trialware, I upgraded to Windows 7
    Ultimate....pretty easy, it didnt install any rubbish...either....I
    guess MS pays NEC etc to have the crap there....but doesnt do it on
    its own CDs...

    Today however I installed Ubuntu 10.4 32 and 64bit desktops on vmware
    ESXi...as a carry on from yesterday with RH5u5WS and Vista (yes, on
    ESXi)....I have to say Ubuntu is the easiest setup I have ever seen/
    done....if you cant install the latest Ubuntu then dont ever go near a
    computer is all I can say.

    regards

    thingy, May 13, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On May 12, 5:45 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    > > 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    > > Dimdows Live Essentials
    > > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p....>.

    > > I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    > > OpenOffice.Org instead...

    > Wot! Micro$oft should be paying OEM vendors to install this stuff, as
    > well as Windows Starter.

    I would think so....

    regards

    thingy, May 13, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On May 12, 8:17 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > > On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    > >> 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    > >> Dimdows Live Essentials
    > >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p....>.

    > >> I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    > >> OpenOffice.Org instead...

    > > Wot! Micro$oft should be paying OEM vendors to install this stuff, as
    > > well as Windows Starter.

    > Do the vendors get paid if the customer does the purchase of a full
    > version of office and upgrades the preinstalled one?

    Probably....

    regards

    thingy, May 13, 2010
  9. On May 12, 8:17 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > > On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    > >> 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    > >> Dimdows Live Essentials
    > >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p....>.

    > >> I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    > >> OpenOffice.Org instead...

    > > Wot! Micro$oft should be paying OEM vendors to install this stuff, as
    > > well as Windows Starter.

    > Do the vendors get paid if the customer does the purchase of a full
    > version of office and upgrades the preinstalled one?

    Yes if the customer purchases a version of Office from that vendor
    they get paid.
    The customer enters the product key they purchased, and Office Starter
    2010 converts into the Office 2010 version they purchased, in about a
    minute depending on HDD speed

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, May 13, 2010
  10. On May 13, 9:06 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    > > 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    > > Dimdows Live Essentials
    > > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p....>.

    > > I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    > > OpenOffice.Org instead...

    > On Tuseday night my vista had a suspected rootkit so I recovered the
    > original NEC setup to my desktop, talk about crap on it....so anyway
    > after removing all the unwanted trialware, I upgraded to Windows 7
    > Ultimate....pretty easy, it didnt install any rubbish...either....I
    > guess MS pays NEC etc to have the crap there....but doesnt do it on
    > its own CDs...

    what is the crap trialware from NEC?

    <snip>

    Nathan Mercer, May 13, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 13/05/10 21:06, thingy wrote:
    ..

    > On Tuseday night my vista had a suspected rootkit so I recovered the
    > original NEC setup to my desktop, talk about crap on it....so anyway
    > after removing all the unwanted trialware, I upgraded to Windows 7
    > Ultimate....pretty easy, it didnt install any rubbish...either....I
    > guess MS pays NEC etc to have the crap there....but doesnt do it on
    > its own CDs...
    >
    > Today however I installed Ubuntu 10.4 32 and 64bit desktops on vmware
    > ESXi...as a carry on from yesterday with RH5u5WS and Vista (yes, on
    > ESXi)....I have to say Ubuntu is the easiest setup I have ever seen/
    > done....if you cant install the latest Ubuntu then dont ever go near a
    > computer is all I can say.
    >
    > regards

    Check out gnome-shell for a new desktop experience
    install the usual way

    alt f2 "gnome-shell --replace" to start
    alt f2 "debugexit" to stop

    victor, May 13, 2010
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On May 13, 9:06 pm, thingy <> wrote:

    > Today however I installed Ubuntu 10.4 32 and 64bit desktops on vmware
    > ESXi...as a carry on from yesterday with RH5u5WS and Vista (yes, on
    > ESXi)....I have to say Ubuntu is the easiest setup I have ever seen/
    > done....if you cant install the latest Ubuntu then dont ever go near a
    > computer is all I can say.

    There is some guy called DFS on comp.os.linux.advocacy who is for ever
    whining about how Ubuntu is difficult to install and how things do not
    work. Cannot understand why he just does not get Windows and be done
    with it. Must be one of the world's biggest masochists - or a Micro
    $oft shill.

    peterwn, May 13, 2010
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 13/05/2010 9:06 p.m., thingy wrote:
    > On May 12, 4:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> So Microsoft will be charging PC vendors $5 per copy to preinstall Office
    >> 2010 Starter Edition, but this drops to $2 if they include Bing Bar and
    >> Dimdows Live Essentials
    >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/office-2010-microsoft-to-charge-p...>.
    >>
    >> I wonder what the price tag would be if vendors suggested they would bundle
    >> OpenOffice.Org instead...

    > On Tuseday night my vista had a suspected rootkit so I recovered the
    > original NEC setup to my desktop, talk about crap on it....so anyway
    > after removing all the unwanted trialware, I upgraded to Windows 7
    > Ultimate....pretty easy, it didnt install any rubbish...either....I
    > guess MS pays NEC etc to have the crap there....but doesnt do it on
    > its own CDs...
    >
    > Today however I installed Ubuntu 10.4 32 and 64bit desktops on vmware
    > ESXi...as a carry on from yesterday with RH5u5WS and Vista (yes, on
    > ESXi)....I have to say Ubuntu is the easiest setup I have ever seen/
    > done....if you cant install the latest Ubuntu then dont ever go near a
    > computer is all I can say.
    >
    > regards

    Thanks
    I just downloaded the free vmware player, installed it as a complete
    virtualization novice just accepting the defaults and installed the
    latest 64bit Ubuntu 10.04.
    Amazing ! the network works, the sound works, the video works, printing
    works.
    Time to explore.

    victor, May 14, 2010