More life from hard disk with bad sectors

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ardent, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    Hi All

    One of my hard disks continued to develop bad sectors and every time I
    was using format to mark the bad sectors. Suddenly I got an idea of
    not only marking the bad sector but also keeping the head from
    accessing areas around the bad sector.

    By the time I did this to my hard disks it had only 1 gb of its 2 gb
    capacity usable. (You can imagine the number of bad sectors!).

    The bad sectors developed during a three month period. After marking
    the areas so the read head did not go anywhere near the bad sectors I
    have been using this hard disk for more than two years without any new
    bad sector appearing!

    You can read my experience here

    http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/ninelives.htm

    HTH

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only

    Ardent, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Ardent

    Michael-NC Guest

    For Christ's sake, just throw the dam thing away. Who in their right mind
    wants a 2GB hard drive that's rife with bad sectors???

    Please, go away and don't come back!

    Michael-NC, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Ardent

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    "Ardent" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > One of my hard disks continued to develop bad sectors and every time I

    As soon as a HD begins to develop more than a very few bad sectors then
    assume the HD is DOA as the rest will go bad soon. Replace the HD. We'll
    keep your post as perfect proof of this point.

    Ron Reaugh, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Ardent

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Ron Reaugh" <> wrote in

    > As soon as a HD begins to develop more than a very few bad sectors
    > then assume the HD is DOA as the rest will go bad soon. Replace the
    > HD. We'll keep your post as perfect proof of this point.

    I consider anything > 0 bad sectors as meaning "The drive is dying,
    immediately replace it"

    Jim Berwick, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Ardent

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Nonsense. Your drive had bad sectors when it was shipped.

    Eric Gisin, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Ardent

    Monster Guest

    lol, back in the old days (286, 386) harddrives weren't cheap so when an hd
    developed bad sectors, the bad sector areas was partitioned off and never
    used again :)

    Monster, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Ardent

    CJT Guest

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > Nonsense. Your drive had bad sectors when it was shipped.

    Not that are visible. By the time you see any, there are really
    quite a few. That's different from a few random ones at the time
    of manufacture.

    CJT, Jul 26, 2004
  8. Ardent

    J. Clarke Guest

    Monster wrote:

    > lol, back in the old days (286, 386) harddrives weren't cheap so when an
    > hd developed bad sectors, the bad sector areas was partitioned off and
    > never used again :)

    Still are. But it's handled transparently by drive now. When an IDE drive
    is showing bad sectors it generally means that it's got more than the
    onboard sparing can handle, which means that it's _real_ bad.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Jul 26, 2004
  9. Ardent

    Eric Gisin Guest

    "CJT" <> wrote in message
    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    >
    > > Nonsense. Your drive had bad sectors when it was shipped.

    > Not that are visible. By the time you see any, there are really
    > quite a few. That's different from a few random ones at the time
    > of manufacture.

    There are hundreds of initial bad sectors on each of my three SCSI drives.

    It is quite normal to develop a few new ones each year, and that does NOT
    indicate the drive is failing. Normally they are not visible, because they are
    corrected and remapped.

    Eric Gisin, Jul 26, 2004
  10. Ardent

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Gisin <> wrote:
    >"CJT" <> wrote in message
    >> Eric Gisin wrote:
    >>
    >> > Nonsense. Your drive had bad sectors when it was shipped.

    >> Not that are visible. By the time you see any, there are really
    >> quite a few. That's different from a few random ones at the time
    >> of manufacture.
    >>

    >There are hundreds of initial bad sectors on each of my three SCSI drives.
    >
    >It is quite normal to develop a few new ones each year, and that does NOT
    >indicate the drive is failing. Normally they are not visible, because they are
    >corrected and remapped.

    SMART monitering will tell you when if the device is within
    manufacturer's tolerances. Everest from Lavalist is a nice package
    (free for noncommercial use.) I don't have a link handy.

    With XP I've seen an event log entry following a perceptable pause on
    my PC. The log showed that a block had just meen remapped.

    If I see a single additional block remapped on a machine being used
    for revenue-producing business use I plan to swap that disk
    out, asap.

    I'd mark the disk and use it for some don't-care-if-burns purpose.
    The disk doesn't get a third chance.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes, Jul 26, 2004
  11. "Ardent" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi All
    >
    > One of my hard disks continued to develop bad sectors and every time I
    > was using format to mark the bad sectors. Suddenly I got an idea of
    > not only marking the bad sector but also keeping the head from
    > accessing areas around the bad sector.
    >
    > By the time I did this to my hard disks it had only 1 gb of its 2 gb
    > capacity usable. (You can imagine the number of bad sectors!).
    >
    > The bad sectors developed during a three month period. After marking
    > the areas so the read head did not go anywhere near the bad sectors I
    > have been using this hard disk for more than two years without any new
    > bad sector appearing!
    >
    > You can read my experience here
    >
    > http://members.tripod.com/~diligent/ninelives.htm

    Several possible flaws in your method.

    1) only works for drives smaller than 8GB

    2) no drive has 256 physical heads and 63 sectors per track so
    1 logical cylinder is already many physical cylinders
    With 4 heads and ~600 sectors/tr. you already reserve ~6
    physical cylinders per logical cylinder.

    3) it's not the heads that need keeping away from the damaged
    spots but the slider that they are mounted on, which is much
    wider. The slider can cover into the hundreds of cylinders.

    Btw, why not finish the experiment and zero-write the whole
    drive and use it as one normally would, and see what happens.

    If your theory is correct it should soon die. Somehow, I doubt that.

    Folkert Rienstra, Jul 26, 2004
  12. "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message news:Xns953213B4820A8jimbsnipnet@207.103.26.26
    > "Ron Reaugh" <> wrote in news:NCZMc.325853$:
    >
    > > As soon as a HD begins to develop more than a very few bad sectors
    > > then assume the HD is DOA as the rest will go bad soon. Replace
    > > the HD. We'll keep your post as perfect proof of this point.

    > I consider anything > 0 bad sectors as meaning "The drive is dying,
    > immediately replace it"

    Well, maybe you should look into your S.M.A.R.T. data then, every hour.
    It might be in it's death throws already and you not even know it.

    Folkert Rienstra, Jul 27, 2004
  13. Ardent

    Roger Blake Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:02:11 -0700, Eric Gisin <> wrote:
    >Nonsense. Your drive had bad sectors when it was shipped.

    Modern hard drives do bad block forwarding, invisible to the operating
    system and thus the end user. If you start actually seeing bad blocks
    it means that all the spares have been used and the drive is in the
    process of dying a grievous death.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

    Roger Blake, Jul 28, 2004
  14. Ardent

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Clueless gibberish. Read my and Folkert's reply to J Clarke.

    Eric Gisin, Jul 28, 2004
  15. Ardent

    Wizard Guest

    My experience is that Blake is correct. Bad blocks, once seen, grow like
    weeds.

    Wizard, Jul 28, 2004
  16. Ardent

    Elsje Seager Guest

    Ardent wrote:

    > Sandy Archer
    > Reply to newsgroups only

    Ja mein hier!

    --
    Your free insult: Thou absenting, debating, purulent fungus orphaning
    french canadian.

    Elsje Seager, Jul 28, 2004
  17. Michael-NC wrote:

    > For Christ's sake, just throw the dam thing away. Who in their right mind
    > wants a 2GB hard drive that's rife with bad sectors???

    > Please, go away and don't come back!

    Please ignore this top posting fucktard. He is american and has his head
    firmly wedged up his anal passage.
    --
    Your free insult: Thou resolving, cohabiting, minimalist zombie bearding
    chicken-fucker.

    Margreet Briscoe, Jul 28, 2004
  18. Ron Reaugh wrote:

    > "Ardent" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> One of my hard disks continued to develop bad sectors and every time I

    > As soon as a HD begins to develop more than a very few bad sectors then
    > assume the HD is DOA

    DOA? Dead on arrival???

    You silly bugger.
    --
    Your free insult: Thou bounding, capturing, puerile gimcrack pleaching
    horse's arse.

    Jenneke Misak, Jul 28, 2004
  19. Ardent

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Many of us have reported seeing bad blocks caused by power problems,
    which cease when that is fixed.

    The explanation "running out of spare sectors" is absolutely idiotic. It is
    not possible to remap that many without getting lots of prior warning.

    Eric Gisin, Jul 28, 2004
  20. Ardent

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Margreet Briscoe " <> wrote in message
    > Michael-NC wrote:
    >
    > > For Christ's sake, just throw the dam thing away. Who in their right

    mind
    > > wants a 2GB hard drive that's rife with bad sectors???

    > > Please, go away and don't come back!

    > Please ignore this top posting fucktard. He is american and has his head
    > firmly wedged up his anal passage.

    How did you know I could do that???

    http://www.lonelyarts.com/metacreations/HeadUpAss.jpg

    Michael-NC, Jul 28, 2004