    7 years if that for the one the King is pushing.

    Those multinationals, photographing grubby take-away menus,
    they're quite a piece of work.

    Adam, May 4, 2010

  2. Adam

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    news:hrogjg$5uc$...

    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/3655387/Battle-of-the-whoppers
    >
    > Despite the wonderful "King won't be satisfied .. " ads
    > on TV, B.K. find it necessary to get the lawyers to write
    > to a tiny burger joint in Nelson, about their similarly
    > titled burger.
    >
    > A great article. 12 years for the Nelson burger, and
    > 7 years if that for the one the King is pushing.
    >
    > Those multinationals, photographing grubby take-away menus,
    > they're quite a piece of work.

    Maybe they are getting their own back... They couldn't call
    themselves burger king in Oz, as that name was already registered by a seedy
    little burger bar... Here they are called Hungry Jacks.

    Tony in Oz, May 4, 2010

  3. In article <hrogjg$5uc$>, Adam <> wrote:
    >http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/3655387/Battle-of-the-whoppers
    >
    >Despite the wonderful "King won't be satisfied .. " ads
    >on TV, B.K. find it necessary to get the lawyers to write
    >to a tiny burger joint in Nelson, about their similarly
    >titled burger.
    >
    >A great article. 12 years for the Nelson burger, and
    >7 years if that for the one the King is pushing.
    >
    >Those multinationals, photographing grubby take-away menus,
    >they're quite a piece of work.

    Raises an interesting question ... if 'prior art' effectively negates a
    patent, why is this not so in the copyright/trademark/branding area ?

    Yes, I know the practical answer here is ... 'because our lawyers are bigger
    than yours and our money pile is bigger than yours too ... but surely the
    first doer of things ought to have some rights, even if they are smaller ?
    :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 5, 2010
  4. In message <hrquoj$vns$-september.org>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Raises an interesting question ... if 'prior art' effectively negates a
    > patent, why is this not so in the copyright/trademark/branding area ?

    Because lumping different things under the “intellectual property†label
    does not make them the same.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 5, 2010
  5. Adam

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:51:58 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 5/05/2010 9:03 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have seen Burger Kings in Sydney. I think that they were called
    >>> Hungry Jacks long before Burger King bought out the chain but being
    >>> Ozz customers they felt that Australians wouldn't take to an
    >>> American name to the Australian company..

    >><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack%27s> explains it well

    > Interesting reading. I have often wondered what would happen if a
    > foreign-owned company attempted to start up in NZ using a trade name
    > that was already registered locally and owned by a local company. It
    > Oz, at least, it appears that Burger King Corporation lost and the
    > (presumably local) owner of the Burger King trade name retained
    > ownership such that the BKC master franchisee (Competitive Foods) had
    > to trade under a different name in Oz.
    > --
    > Crash

    Thats what I said....