    in a furious spasm of crapmarking?

    Stay tuned, or have something better to do.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jun 27, 2004

  2. David Preece

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David Preece wrote:

    > Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
    > affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
    > affecting the prescott P4.
    >
    > http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
    >
    > Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
    >
    > Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
    > be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
    > in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
    >
    > Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
    >
    > Dave

    Huh? AMD is already regarded as the quality brand.

    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2004

  3. David Preece

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <kmpDc.4756$>,
    David Preece <> wrote:

    > Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
    > affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
    > affecting the prescott P4.
    >
    > http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
    >
    > Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
    >
    > Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
    > be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
    > in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
    >
    > Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
    >
    > Dave

    Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
    all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
    dont think their reputation is at stake.

    whoisthis, Jun 27, 2004
  4. David Preece

    theseus Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <kmpDc.4756$>,
    > David Preece <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
    > > affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
    > > affecting the prescott P4.
    > >
    > > http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
    > >
    > > Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
    > >
    > > Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
    > > be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
    > > in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
    > >
    > > Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
    > >
    > > Dave

    > Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
    > all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
    > dont think their reputation is at stake.

    The Mac community must be proud to have you as their own version of "Divine"

    theseus, Jun 27, 2004
  5. David Preece

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <iFrDc.4979$>,
    "theseus" <> wrote:

    > > Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
    > > all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
    > > dont think their reputation is at stake.

    > The Mac community must be proud to have you as their own version of "Divine"

    Um...where was the pro Mac stance, it was even anti-pc, its just a fact,
    intel have repeatedly had problems with its chip design.

    whoisthis, Jun 27, 2004
  6. David Preece

    Daniel Guest

    > David Preece wrote:
    >
    >> Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
    >> affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
    >> affecting the prescott P4.
    >>
    >> http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
    >>
    >> Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
    >>
    >> Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
    >> be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
    >> in a furious spasm of crapmarking?
    >>
    >> Stay tuned, or have something better to do.
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Huh? AMD is already regarded as the quality brand.

    Yea, i thought they were too???? arnt they?

    Daniel

    Daniel, Jun 27, 2004
  7. David Preece

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:47:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Huh? AMD is already regarded as the quality brand.

    Only amongst enthusiasts.

    In the world of corporate buyers, the average view of AMD is closer to
    Wogers misinformed FUD. Sad but true.

    They will spout 'compatibility' as an issue, when they don't realise how
    many incompatibilities Intel has within it's lineup, and how much updated
    compilers and operating systems shield them from that.

    The more informed ones will talk about issues with third party chipset (eg
    VIA), but forget that over the years Intel has had just as many chipsets
    go badly (eg i820) as turn out well (eg BX).

    I am hoping though that the Opteron is the product that finally breaks
    through all the Intel Inside bollocks. Hopefully AMD doesn't have to wait
    for Dell to make that happen.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 27, 2004
  8. In article <kmpDc.4756$>,
    says...
    > Hot on the heels of the Grantsdale recall (which has apparently only
    > affected the channel and not any end users), we have a number of bugs
    > affecting the prescott P4.
    >
    > http://theinquirer.net/?article=16823
    >
    > Many of which result in a hung system, none of which have a workaround.
    >
    > Is Intel's reputation for quality about to take a nosedive? We will soon
    > be seeing Via and AMD regarded as the quality brands? Will Woger explode
    > in a furious spasm of crapmarking?

    What else is new - we've seen it ALL before.

    Original Celeron CPU, Rambus, 810/820 chipset, yadda yadda yadda

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004
  9. In article <>, mer
    says...
    > In article <iFrDc.4979$>,
    > "theseus" <> wrote:
    >

    > > > Intell have had chip problems for donkeys ages....the 486, pentium etc
    > > > all has issues, some could barely add let alone multiply 2 numbers. So I
    > > > dont think their reputation is at stake.

    > > The Mac community must be proud to have you as their own version of "Divine"
    > >

    > Um...where was the pro Mac stance, it was even anti-pc, its just a fact,
    > intel have repeatedly had problems with its chip design.

    Not to the degree you claim, just a few minor problems here and there

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004
  10. David Preece

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:10:52 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > I am hoping though that the Opteron is the product that finally breaks
    > through all the Intel Inside bollocks. Hopefully AMD doesn't have to wait
    > for Dell to make that happen.

    The AMD64 is a lovely chip. you should see the speed at which it can
    compile!!

    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

    Divine, Jun 28, 2004
  11. David Preece

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:16:27 +1200, Divine wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:10:52 +1200, AD. wrote:
    >
    >> I am hoping though that the Opteron is the product that finally breaks
    >> through all the Intel Inside bollocks. Hopefully AMD doesn't have to
    >> wait for Dell to make that happen.

    > The AMD64 is a lovely chip. you should see the speed at which it can
    > compile!!

    Like the 80 sec kernel compiles the OpenBSD team were raving about with
    the quad Opteron that AMD lent them for their hackathon.

    They make pretty tidy web servers too.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 28, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    >In article <>, mer
    >says...

    >> > The Mac community must be proud to have you as their own version of
    >> > "Divine"
    >> >

    >> Um...where was the pro Mac stance, it was even anti-pc, its just a fact,
    >> intel have repeatedly had problems with its chip design.

    >Not to the degree you claim, just a few minor problems here and there

    2003 April 14: Intel Delays New Pentium 4 Chip:
    <http://news.com.com/Intel delays new Pentium 4 chip/2100-1006_3-996611.h
    tml>

    2000 May 10: Rambus at the Root of Intel's Memory Troubles:
    <http://news.com.com/Rambus at the root of Intel's memory troubles/2100
    -1040_3-240376.html>

    2000 February 22: Bugs Found in Servers, Workstations Using Intel
    Chipset
    <http://news.com.com/Bugs found in servers, workstations using Intel ch
    ipset/2100-1001_3-237127.html>

    1999 December 1: Bug in New Pentium IIIs Hampers Boot-Up
    <http://news.com.com/Bug in new Pentium IIIs hampers boot-up/2100-1040_3-
    233755.html>

    1999 September 28: Xeon Chip Problem Delays Servers
    <http://news.com.com/Xeon chip problem delays servers/2100-1040_3-230782.
    html>

    1997 November 7: Pentium Bug Surfaces
    <http://news.com.com/Pentium+bug+surfaces/2100-1001_3-205144.html>

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2004
  13. In article <>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > In article <>,
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, mer
    > >says...

    > >> Um...where was the pro Mac stance, it was even anti-pc, its just a fact,
    > >> intel have repeatedly had problems with its chip design.

    > >Not to the degree you claim, just a few minor problems here and there

    > 2003 April 14: Intel Delays New Pentium 4 Chip:
    > <http://news.com.com/Intel delays new Pentium 4 chip/2100-1006_3-996611.h
    > tml>
    >
    > 2000 May 10: Rambus at the Root of Intel's Memory Troubles:
    > <http://news.com.com/Rambus at the root of Intel's memory troubles/2100
    > -1040_3-240376.html>
    >
    > 2000 February 22: Bugs Found in Servers, Workstations Using Intel
    > Chipset
    > <http://news.com.com/Bugs found in servers, workstations using Intel ch
    > ipset/2100-1001_3-237127.html>
    >
    > 1999 December 1: Bug in New Pentium IIIs Hampers Boot-Up
    > <http://news.com.com/Bug in new Pentium IIIs hampers boot-up/2100-1040_3-
    > 233755.html>
    >
    > 1999 September 28: Xeon Chip Problem Delays Servers
    > <http://news.com.com/Xeon chip problem delays servers/2100-1040_3-230782.
    > html>
    >
    > 1997 November 7: Pentium Bug Surfaces
    > <http://news.com.com/Pentium+bug+surfaces/2100-1001_3-205144.html>

    Umm lessee, about one bug every two years.

    How many bugs have been found in Windows in the same timeframe?

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 28, 2004
  14. AD. wrote:
    >>The AMD64 is a lovely chip. you should see the speed at which it can
    >>compile!!

    > Like the 80 sec kernel compiles the OpenBSD team were raving about with
    > the quad Opteron that AMD lent them for their hackathon.
    > They make pretty tidy web servers too.

    heh, so do old celerons... but then again, it depends on your needs.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 28, 2004