More HSRP Problems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by roblet, May 13, 2008.

  1. roblet

    roblet

    Joined:
    May 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    HI I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this. I'm getting different answers to what I have discovered myself.

    We're setting up a new WAN.
    At HQ we have a 3560 running two LACP trunked interfaces to the providers cloud. Across this we are running dot1q tagged vlans, 1 per remote site.

    Each site has a connection to the providers cloud, this is where they put the dot1q tag on.
    At the remote sites we have an 1800 series router. This connects over a backup DSL circuit.

    The HQ VLAN interface and the 1800 LAN interface are running HSRP between them.

    If a break occurs in the provider network the 1800 becomes the active router (it takes the virtual address). The clients still have connectivity, however the HQ VLAN interface is still up all be it in standby mode. Traffic arriving at that router destined for the remote site is routed out of the VLAN and lost in the provider network. The reason is that the VLAN is a directly connected network. and routing protocol (EIGRP) doesn't override and make the traffic go across the backup DSL network.

    The providers tell me the solution is to use separate autonomous systems, but I don't see (or know) how that would work. Another post on this forum suggests floating statics for a similar problem, but it seems that still isn't right as traffic coming across the trunk from other remote sites would still be lost.

    Having read and reread the cisco docs it seems to me that it should work as it is, but it doesn't.

    I should point out this equipment is not live yet - I've simulated it all with the kit set up on a few desks.

    Any help or thoughts of where to look next would be much appreciated!

    Thanks
    Rob

    roblet, May 13, 2008