More good news for Apple

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Who is this, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Who is this

    Who is this Guest

    At LinuxWorld, Sun showed off "Mad Hatter," its upcoming unified
    desktop, which will sell for half the price of Windows, according to
    eWEEK : "The demo, dubbed 'Looking Glass,' used transparent, 3D windows
    that could rotate in space and hide behind one another, drastically
    increasing the desktop space. The GUI demonstration also featured a Mac
    OS X-like 'dock' containing thumbnail copies of recently viewed
    documents.... As for the Apple connection, Schwartz said that the
    practically every Sun employee owns an Apple desktop at home. 'We would
    love to partner with Apple ...They're everyone's favorite company, and
    iTunes is really cool.'"

    and

    Contractor Lockheed Martin: "Terra Soft has provided device driver
    enhancements, kernel development, tuned firmware allowing serial
    (RS-232) port-based control; performance testing, and management of
    third party engineering and systems integration." Navy submarines will
    utilize on-board HPC clusters for the realtime image processing. The
    Xserves, running Yellow Dog Linux, provide a "solution twice as dense,
    less power consumptive, and higher performance than the previous
    solution at a similar cost."

    and

    The Darwin team at Apple has released version 2.0 of the Apple Public
    Source License , which includes numerous changes to "make it even easier
    for Open Source developers to use and comply with, has been certified as
    conforming to the definition of a "Free Software License". Users can
    also use a new or existing "Apple ID" to access the source code under
    the terms of APSL 2.0, rather than needing a separate Darwin account
    Who is this, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Who is this

    Anybody Guest

    In article <>, Who is this
    <> wrote:

    > At LinuxWorld, Sun showed off "Mad Hatter," its upcoming unified
    > desktop, which will sell for half the price of Windows, according to
    > eWEEK : "The demo, dubbed 'Looking Glass,' used transparent, 3D windows
    > that could rotate in space and hide behind one another, drastically
    > increasing the desktop space. The GUI demonstration also featured a Mac
    > OS X-like 'dock' containing thumbnail copies of recently viewed
    > documents.... As for the Apple connection, Schwartz said that the
    > practically every Sun employee owns an Apple desktop at home. 'We would
    > love to partner with Apple ...They're everyone's favorite company, and
    > iTunes is really cool.'"
    >

    > and
    >

    > Contractor Lockheed Martin: "Terra Soft has provided device driver
    > enhancements, kernel development, tuned firmware allowing serial
    > (RS-232) port-based control; performance testing, and management of
    > third party engineering and systems integration." Navy submarines will
    > utilize on-board HPC clusters for the realtime image processing. The
    > Xserves, running Yellow Dog Linux, provide a "solution twice as dense,
    > less power consumptive, and higher performance than the previous
    > solution at a similar cost."
    >
    > and
    >
    > The Darwin team at Apple has released version 2.0 of the Apple Public
    > Source License , which includes numerous changes to "make it even easier
    > for Open Source developers to use and comply with, has been certified as
    > conforming to the definition of a "Free Software License". Users can
    > also use a new or existing "Apple ID" to access the source code under
    > the terms of APSL 2.0, rather than needing a separate Darwin account

    and

    Sun exec: 'practically every employee' owns a Mac
    Jonathan Schwartz, executive vice-president of Sun's software group,
    recently told eWeek that practically every Sun employee owns an Apple
    desktop at home. "We would love to partner with Apple," he said.
    "They're everyone's favorite company, and iTunes is really cool."
    Anybody, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Who is this

    T.N.O Guest

    "Anybody" wrote
    | Sun exec: 'practically every employee' owns a Mac

    What a coincidence, the number of Sun employees = the number of mac
    owners...

    :)
    T.N.O, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Who is this

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <3f336763$>, "T.N.O" <>
    wrote:

    > "Anybody" wrote
    > | Sun exec: 'practically every employee' owns a Mac
    >
    > What a coincidence, the number of Sun employees = the number of mac
    > owners...
    >

    > :)

    Sun has 25 million employees? Shee-it.

    -- Bruce
    Bruce Hoult, Aug 9, 2003
  5. Who is this

    T.N.O Guest

    "Bruce Hoult" wrote
    | > | Sun exec: 'practically every employee' owns a Mac
    | >
    | > What a coincidence, the number of Sun employees = the number of mac
    | > owners...
    | > :)
    |
    | Sun has 25 million employees? Shee-it.

    it was jest...