More from Tom's about SSDs.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 11, 2011.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    As the group is so quiet. ;-)

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hard-drive,2956.html

    They took four systems from a 2005 P4 to a 2010 i5-750, equipped with
    contemporary mechanical HDDs (but ACHI-capable motherboards), benched them
    and concluded:

    "So long as you're running at least an Athlon 64 X2 or Core processor and at
    least a couple gigabytes of memory, an SSD could end up being the most
    significant upgrade available to you. Of course, if you're a gamer, a new
    graphics card is almost always going to be the way to go. For everyone else,
    though, an SSD will almost certainly facilitate more performance than a RAM
    upgrade, and it might very well out-class a new processor, too. You don't
    even need to go all-out on an SSD. Simply adding a 64 or 128 GB drive for
    your operating system and most performance-sensitive apps can make all of
    the difference. You're looking at a game-changing piece of hardware for
    somewhere between $120 and $250 bucks."

    Sounds awesome huh? However, what they didn't mention specifically (but was
    there on the 'system specs' page if you looked for it) was that all machines
    were running W7 x64 Ultimate, sp1. They were quite vocal about the need for
    ACHI but not so much about the OS. Since they were upgrading systems
    starting with a P4 then the OS would need to be upgraded too. Right? Then
    surely it should have been mentioned prominently in the foreward and
    conclusion?

    <shrug> My bitch of the day. AFAIK there are apps that can be run with XP
    that handle the TRIM etcetera that SSDs need and is included with W7 (and
    Vista). I just think Tom's should have touched on it, and perhaps mentioned
    if it would have had much of an impact running an SSD w.th XP. (It's my
    understanding that >40% of the Windows installed base is still pre-Vista.)

    Ok, weather's fine, gotta mow the lawn <shudder>. Hello pain+++.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Aug 11, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-08-11, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > As the group is so quiet. ;-)
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hard-drive,2956.html
    >
    > They took four systems from a 2005 P4 to a 2010 i5-750, equipped with
    > contemporary mechanical HDDs (but ACHI-capable motherboards), benched them
    > and concluded:
    >
    > "So long as you're running at least an Athlon 64 X2 or Core processor and at
    > least a couple gigabytes of memory, an SSD could end up being the most
    > significant upgrade available to you. Of course, if you're a gamer, a new
    > graphics card is almost always going to be the way to go. For everyone else,
    > though, an SSD will almost certainly facilitate more performance than a RAM
    > upgrade, and it might very well out-class a new processor, too. You don't
    > even need to go all-out on an SSD. Simply adding a 64 or 128 GB drive for
    > your operating system and most performance-sensitive apps can make all of
    > the difference. You're looking at a game-changing piece of hardware for
    > somewhere between $120 and $250 bucks."

    [snip]

    I often wonder in cases such as this whether or not the writer is having his
    wallet stuffed. Follow the money as the saying goes. Or whether the writer
    is simply telling things as he sees things, read, it it his honest belief.
    Either way a grain or two of salt, plus what others say is a good idea.

    Interesting programmes now seem to be apps on the desktop. '...your operating
    system and most performance-sensitive apps can make all...'

    '... So long as you're running at least an Athlon 64 X2 or Core processor
    and ...' What the heck is a Core processor?

    Sorry, but these slight "errors" make me yawn, rather than think YEAH!
    Gordon, Aug 11, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Ralph Fox, Aug 11, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 8/11/2011 5:40 PM, Gordon wrote:

    > '... So long as you're running at least an Athlon 64 X2 or Core processor
    > and ...' What the heck is a Core processor?

    What intel made after the end of the pentium processor lines
    Richard, Aug 11, 2011