    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
    out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    > There were some Hitchcock movies released on LD through Criterion, but
    > not all have made it to DVD. I don't expect to see North by Northwest
    > reissued by Criterion when there is a fine DVD from the studio
    > available, but what about Blackmail, Sabotage, Secret Agent, and Young
    > and Innocent? Any hope Criterion will be able to put these on DVD?

    Well, according to The Digital Bits' 5/20/2004 "Rumour Mill" column...

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

    ....MGM is issuing _Sabotage_ and _Young and Innocent_ (along with _The Lady
    Vanishes_, _Notorious_, _The Paradine Case_, _Rebecca_, _Spellbound_ and
    _The 39 Steps_) in November. And while both films are public domain -- as
    evinced by their having been released repeatedly by the likes of Madacy,
    Delta and Rykodisc -- I doubt that Criterion will want to go head-to-head
    with MGM on them. So the MGM discs will probably be the ones to have.

    I'll be picking the MGM releases of those two films up, certainly. As for
    the other films, I'll wait to see whether MGM improves on the previous
    transfers done by Criterion (_The Lady Vanishes_, _Notorious_, _Rebecca_,
    _Spellbound_, _The 39 Steps_) and Anchor Bay (_The Paradine Case_).

    Haven't heard anything about decent-quality editions of _Blackmail_ or
    _Secret Agent_, sadly.

    doug

    --
    "But her sense of taste is such that she'll distinguish with her tongue
    The subtleties a spectrograph would miss..."

    Douglas Bailey, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Douglas Bailey wrote:
    > I'll be picking the MGM releases of those two films up, certainly. As for
    > the other films, I'll wait to see whether MGM improves on the previous
    > transfers done by Criterion (_The Lady Vanishes_, _Notorious_, _Rebecca_,
    > _Spellbound_, _The 39 Steps_) and Anchor Bay (_The Paradine Case_).

    I'm not worried that I'll wind up having the inferior version, Criterion
    packed in plenty of extras for their Hitchcock movies, especially
    Rebecca (having watched those screen tests, I wish they'd cast Anne
    Baxter instead, and without the putty nose, she was gorgeous).

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    drsd2kill Guest

    YOUNG AND INNOCENT and SABOTAGE are coming from MGM this fall, presumably in
    nice clean prints through their partnership with Carlton in the UK (the UK DVD
    of YOUNG AND INNOCENT blows away any US LD or DVD release).

    I made NTSC R0 DVD editions of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, SECRET AGENT, and
    YOUNG AND INNOCENT from the R2 PAL DVD releases if anyone is interested...

    drsd2kill, Jun 24, 2004
  5. On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:28:21 -0400, Douglas Bailey
    <> wrote:

    >Grand Inquisitor wrote:
    >> There were some Hitchcock movies released on LD through Criterion, but
    >> not all have made it to DVD. I don't expect to see North by Northwest
    >> reissued by Criterion when there is a fine DVD from the studio
    >> available, but what about Blackmail, Sabotage, Secret Agent, and Young
    >> and Innocent? Any hope Criterion will be able to put these on DVD?

    >Well, according to The Digital Bits' 5/20/2004 "Rumour Mill" column...
    >
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    >

    >Haven't heard anything about decent-quality editions of _Blackmail_ or
    >_Secret Agent_, sadly.
    >
    >doug

    The Criterion laserdisc of "Blackmail" is indeed much better than the
    DVD release (Laserlight). However in Germany a pristine print has
    been found and restored, far better even than the quite good elements
    used on the laserdisc, and there is some talk about Kino releasing R1
    and R2 DVDs of the film.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 25, 2004
  6. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > The Criterion laserdisc of "Blackmail" is indeed much better than the
    > DVD release (Laserlight). However in Germany a pristine print has
    > been found and restored, far better even than the quite good elements
    > used on the laserdisc, and there is some talk about Kino releasing R1
    > and R2 DVDs of the film.
    >
    > . Steve .

    Does it have the elusive silent version?

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 25, 2004
  7. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 19:45:39 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    >> The Criterion laserdisc of "Blackmail" is indeed much better than the
    >> DVD release (Laserlight). However in Germany a pristine print has
    >> been found and restored, far better even than the quite good elements
    >> used on the laserdisc, and there is some talk about Kino releasing R1
    >> and R2 DVDs of the film.
    >>
    >> . Steve .

    >Does it have the elusive silent version?

    I don't know, but considering how Kino tends to put together a good
    packge, (witness "The Blue Angel") it's certainly possible.

    . Steve

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 26, 2004