    That ain't supposed to happen is it?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 8, 2004

  2. AD. wrote:
    > I opened the lid to see that the batteries had bulged (no leaks
    > though) quite a bit and were now jammed in tight.
    > That ain't supposed to happen is it?

    not that I know of... how long have they been in there?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 8, 2004

  3. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:54:49 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> I opened the lid to see that the batteries had bulged (no leaks though)
    >> quite a bit and were now jammed in tight. That ain't supposed to happen
    >> is it?

    > not that I know of... how long have they been in there?

    I think about 2.5 years.

    I've swapped them out for new ones (that was a mission), but I'm hoping
    its not a fault with the unit.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 8, 2004
  4. AD.

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:30:50 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >ooo-err!
    >
    >And I'm not talking about capacitors either, but UPS batteries.
    >
    >Has anyone had the batteries in a UPS bulge and get hotter than normal?
    >
    >It's an oldish rack mount APC SmartUPS 1400, and after the change
    >battery light came on I went to swap the batteries but the old ones
    >refused to slide out.
    >
    >I opened the lid to see that the batteries had bulged (no leaks
    >though) quite a bit and were now jammed in tight.
    >
    >That ain't supposed to happen is it?
    >
    >Cheers
    >Anton

    May be its a 220v unit running on 240v and you are putting to much charge
    into the batteries..

    Or may be the unit is faulty..?

    Geronimo, Nov 8, 2004
  5. AD. wrote:
    >>>I opened the lid to see that the batteries had bulged (no leaks though)
    >>>quite a bit and were now jammed in tight. That ain't supposed to happen
    >>>is it?

    >>not that I know of... how long have they been in there?

    > I think about 2.5 years.

    whats the recommended change frequency on them?
    or just if the light comes on?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 8, 2004
  6. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:01:02 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    > May be its a 220v unit running on 240v and you are putting to much
    > charge into the batteries..

    I don't think would be that, it has worked ok since 96.

    > Or may be the unit is faulty..?

    I hope not :)

    The other thing I don't know is when they started bulging. Whether it over
    a week or two, or over a year or two.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 8, 2004
  7. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:01:26 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>not that I know of... how long have they been in there?

    >> I think about 2.5 years.

    > whats the recommended change frequency on them? or just if the light comes
    > on?

    I think you are supposed to be able to get at least 3 years (more like 5)
    out of them, but the little red light has the final say :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 8, 2004
  8. AD.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:01:02 +1300, Geronimo wrote:
    >
    >> May be its a 220v unit running on 240v and you are putting to much
    >> charge into the batteries..

    > I don't think would be that, it has worked ok since 96.
    >

    >> Or may be the unit is faulty..?

    > I hope not :)
    >
    > The other thing I don't know is when they started bulging. Whether it
    > over a week or two, or over a year or two.

    Aren't the batteries supposed to be vented? Maybe the last batch you put in
    weren't vented for some reason? Same brand? These are SLA batteries right?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2004
  9. AD.

    TomV Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:30:50 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >ooo-err!
    >
    >And I'm not talking about capacitors either, but UPS batteries.
    >
    >Has anyone had the batteries in a UPS bulge and get hotter than normal?
    >
    >It's an oldish rack mount APC SmartUPS 1400, and after the change
    >battery light came on I went to swap the batteries but the old ones
    >refused to slide out.
    >
    >I opened the lid to see that the batteries had bulged (no leaks
    >though) quite a bit and were now jammed in tight.
    >
    >That ain't supposed to happen is it?
    >
    >Cheers
    >Anton

    RUN!!!!!!

    TomV, Nov 8, 2004
  10. AD.

    Daniel Guest

    SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) Batterys have valves that let out gas's if these dont
    let out gas's this can happen i beleve this is what has happend to you.

    Daniel

    Daniel, Nov 8, 2004
  11. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:34:39 +1300, TomV wrote:

    > RUN!!!!!!

    hehe I now have visions of turning into an acidic superhero after it
    explodes!

    A bit like Radioactive Man from The Simpsons.

    AD., Nov 8, 2004