More Brooklyn Camera Dealer Store Front Pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Wiss, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    I was able to get out today and take a few more pictures. I also had a
    large bunch from a couple weeks ago that I had not yet put up. Many of
    these came from searching on Brooklyn at the nytimes.cnet.com web site. One
    came from the dealer e-mailing me to tell me I had an old picture, and to
    come take them at their new location. And some were from tips e-mailed in.
    Please keep these e-mail tips coming in. Especially if you discover a new
    web site associated with an existing picture. A workable e-mail link is at
    the bottom of the web page.

    All pictures can be found at: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

    As always this is my only announcement of these new pictures. Fell free to
    pass on this annoucement to other forums.

    The new pictures are mixed in alphabetically by assumed business name. So
    here is a summary of the new ones:

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0108.htm
    Apple Electronics, d.b.a. AppleElectronics.com and AppleCellular.com
    259 Avenue X
    New location.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0109.htm
    bestdigitalonline.com, paylessdigital.com and ubdigital.com. Probably also
    d.b.a. as allstarcamera.com.
    1151 McDonald Ave.
    Address from cnet and bestdigitalonline.com web site. ubdigital.com from
    http://www.pricescan.com/vendors/ubdigital.asp. Formerly located at 4718
    18th Ave according to
    http://www.price.com/vendor_review_display.html?vid=-2147483130

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0110.htm
    bestdigitalonline.com and paylessdigital.com
    1151 McDonald Ave.
    Close up of entrance.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0111.htm
    Big On Digital, d.b.a. bigondigi.com
    1641 McDonald Ave.
    A newer picture, now with an awning and sign.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0112.htm
    Blue Switch Digital Inc., d.b.a. blueswitchdigital.com
    673 Coney Island Ave.
    Close up of doors.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0113.htm
    Buzz 4 Digital, d.b.a. buzz4digital.com
    2005 Homecrest Ave.
    No address at web site. Address from cnet. The whois address (which I took)
    is also a home. No superpages reverse lookup on phone number.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0114.htm
    eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
    1845 Coney Island Avenue
    New location. There were people working behind the shutters. New address
    confirmed by phone. See next picture for former location.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0115.htm
    eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
    6512 Bay Parkway
    This is the address on the web site and whois. But there was a fire there
    in about October 2004. Now located at 1845 Coney Island Avenue. See prior
    picture.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0116.htm
    A. Hefco Technologies, d.b.a. HypeAudio.com
    1502 Kings Highway
    Address from cnet. Web site has above address as mail address, with 1643
    McDonald Ave as Brooklyn pickup facility.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0117.htm
    NextPlace, Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaKings.com
    724 Avenue P
    Address from cnet.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0118.htm
    NextPlace, Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaKings.com
    6735 Ridge Blvd.
    Address from whois. (I don't normally put whois addresses up, expect here I
    couldn't find another business looking address.)

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
    PCANDPlasma.com
    1915 E. 8th St.
    Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.
    718 fax number used to be us1digital.com's.
    212 fax number also belongs to us1camera.com

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0120.htm
    PriceMad.com
    1751 E 10th St.
    Address from cnet.nytimes.com. No address at web site. Feb 2004 web site
    had same zip code as above. Now web site just says New York, NY. The whois
    address is also a Brooklyn home. A google on their 212 fax number finds
    Barnetts Computer Warehouse, d.b.a. PCVideoOnline.com, 417 5th Ave.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0121.htm
    PriceritePhoto.com
    1274 49th Street
    Address from web site.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0122.htm
    Simon Cells, d.b.a. simoncells.com
    1701 Utica Ave.
    The only cameras they sell are built into cell phones.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0123.htm
    SkyNet Communications, d.b.a. BestBuyPlasma.com
    481 Kings Highway
    Current location.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0124.htm
    SkyNet Communications, d.b.a. BestBuyPlasma.com
    6400 18th Avenue
    Former location, but is still the address on cnet.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0125.htm
    Stop 4 Camera Inc, d.b.a stop4camera.com, a.k.a. HowdyCamera.com
    1809 Coney Island Ave.
    This is the address on their web site, and is Howdy Camera's web and whois
    address.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0126.htm
    Stop 4 Camera Inc, d.b.a stop4camera.com
    4303 12th Ave.
    Address from whois and BBB. Web site has 1809 Coney Island Ave.

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0127.htm
    Stop 4 Camera Inc, d.b.a stop4camera.com
    4303 12th Ave.
    Close up of door. These seem to be same people as www.XeStore.us, now out
    of business. XeStore's fax was: 718-836-1344

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0128.htm
    The Zone, d.b.a. thezoneny.com
    2284 Flatbush Ave.
    New location. Note streamers still up.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Don Wiss

    Mark² Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > I was able to get out today and take a few more pictures. I also had a
    > large bunch from a couple weeks ago that I had not yet put up. Many of
    > these came from searching on Brooklyn at the nytimes.cnet.com web site.

    One
    > came from the dealer e-mailing me to tell me I had an old picture, and to
    > come take them at their new location. And some were from tips e-mailed in.
    > Please keep these e-mail tips coming in. Especially if you discover a new
    > web site associated with an existing picture. A workable e-mail link is at
    > the bottom of the web page.

    Wow.
    I know most of these places are "trashy"...but this one really takes the
    cake:
    -----------------
    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
    PCANDPlasma.com
    1915 E. 8th St.
    Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.
    718 fax number used to be us1digital.com's.
    212 fax number also belongs to us1camera.com
    -----------------

    Amazing.

    Mark², Jan 13, 2005

  3. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 12 Jan 2005, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Wow.
    >I know most of these places are "trashy"...but this one really takes the
    >cake:
    >-----------------
    >http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
    >PCANDPlasma.com
    >1915 E. 8th St.
    >Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.

    Yea. There seemed to be some construction work going on. A fellow came out
    and relaxed on the chair on the porch. No business was taking place there
    when I visited a few weeks ago. I've learned that these people often don't
    update their address. Take for example this one:

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0115.htm
    eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
    6512 Bay Parkway
    This is the address on the web site and whois. But there was a fire there
    in about October 2004.

    Now when I phoned them and said I knew there had been a fire and where were
    they now he told me, and said the fire was three months ago. Now three
    months should be enough time to update a web site. Or would they rather we
    not really know their location? What one should do is call these
    PCANDPlasma people and find out where they really are. It can't be worse.
    Maybe someone can call them and say you saw this picture and you don't
    believe it. By now most of these dealers know I'm out there taking their
    picture.

    Now I got all the pictures I've taken put up. But then when researching
    these I found I can do a site search on dealtime.com for Brooklyn and
    "Store Location". So I'm now working on a list of more places to take
    pictures of. Some of the places don't sell cameras, and I've not decided
    how far from digital cameras I want to stray. I certainly don't want to get
    beyond electronics. Keeping track of all these people is a lot of work.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Don Wiss

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> schrieb
    > Now I got all the pictures I've taken put up. But then when researching
    > these I found I can do a site search on dealtime.com for Brooklyn and
    > "Store Location". So I'm now working on a list of more places to take
    > pictures of. Some of the places don't sell cameras, and I've not decided
    > how far from digital cameras I want to stray. I certainly don't want to
    > get
    > beyond electronics. Keeping track of all these people is a lot of work.

    Great thing Don ;)
    Isn't it risky (dangerous) to take these photos? Look at some fronts! I
    wouldn't walk in if I were in town.
    Can't believe I did some business with one of them some time ago.
    Didn't liked the phone call to verify my order after completing the online
    transaction. Guess its necessary for them to sell their accessories.

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    Jürgen Eidt, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Don Wiss

    -
    > >-----------------
    > >http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0119.htm
    > >PCANDPlasma.com
    > >1915 E. 8th St.
    > >Address from web site, pricescan, and cnet. No address in whois.

    > Yea. There seemed to be some construction work going on. A fellow came out
    > and relaxed on the chair on the porch. No business was taking place there
    > when I visited a few weeks ago. I've learned that these people often don't
    > update their address. Take for example this one:
    >
    > http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0115.htm
    > eStore of N.Y. Inc., d.b.a. PlasmaHouse.com
    > 6512 Bay Parkway
    > This is the address on the web site and whois. But there was a fire there
    > in about October 2004.
    >
    > Now when I phoned them and said I knew there had been a fire and where

    were
    > they now he told me, and said the fire was three months ago. Now three
    > months should be enough time to update a web site. Or would they rather we
    > not really know their location? What one should do is call these
    > PCANDPlasma people and find out where they really are. It can't be worse.
    > Maybe someone can call them and say you saw this picture and you don't
    > believe it. By now most of these dealers know I'm out there taking their
    > picture.
    >
    > Now I got all the pictures I've taken put up. But then when researching
    > these I found I can do a site search on dealtime.com for Brooklyn and
    > "Store Location". So I'm now working on a list of more places to take
    > pictures of. Some of the places don't sell cameras, and I've not decided
    > how far from digital cameras I want to stray. I certainly don't want to

    get
    > beyond electronics. Keeping track of all these people is a lot of work.
    >
    > Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    At risk of sounding like an alarmist (which I ASSURE you I am not--as I'd
    LOVE to participate in your sort of "service" and don't shy away from
    thugs), but it SERIOUSLY surprises me that you have not met with real
    threats, or out-right assault/battery or worse in this process...especially
    considering that they know who you are, and what you do.
    -Mark

    Mark², Jan 13, 2005
  6. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 12 Jan 2005, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >At risk of sounding like an alarmist (which I ASSURE you I am not--as I'd
    >LOVE to participate in your sort of "service" and don't shy away from
    >thugs), but it SERIOUSLY surprises me that you have not met with real
    >threats, or out-right assault/battery or worse in this process...especially
    >considering that they know who you are, and what you do.

    But I have. I reported about one. See:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group..._doneTitle=Back to Search&&d#5b0f8fbe67ab7e97

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Jan 13, 2005
  7. Don Wiss

    me Guest

    > I was able to get out today and take a few more pictures. I also had a
    > large bunch from a couple weeks ago that I had not yet put up. Many of
    > these came from searching on Brooklyn at the nytimes.cnet.com web site.

    One
    > came from the dealer e-mailing me to tell me I had an old picture, and to
    > come take them at their new location. And some were from tips e-mailed in.
    > Please keep these e-mail tips coming in. Especially if you discover a new
    > web site associated with an existing picture. A workable e-mail link is at
    > the bottom of the web page.
    >
    > All pictures can be found at: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

    If it were possible it might be useful to list the length of time these
    companies have been in business. Some business have started from humble
    beginnings in meager facilities and progressed into thriving concerns.
    I notice that on your home page you say "infamous Brooklyn storefronts", is
    it fair to say that they are all infamous? I don't say these companies are
    good or bad but appearances might not tell the whole story.
    You might want to put a link to the BBB so people could see which businesses
    are members or if there are any current complaints.
    Here is the national BBB link: http://www.bbbonline.org/ You may already
    know the website for the NY BBB.
    Sign,
    me

    me, Jan 13, 2005
  8. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:26:42 -0600, me <anonymous@_.com> wrote:

    >If it were possible it might be useful to list the length of time these
    >companies have been in business. Some business have started from humble
    >beginnings in meager facilities and progressed into thriving concerns.

    I'm going to pass on this. Enough time is involved with this page as it is.

    >I notice that on your home page you say "infamous Brooklyn storefronts", is
    >it fair to say that they are all infamous? I don't say these companies are
    >good or bad but appearances might not tell the whole story.

    I forgot about that. I probably should take it off. I don't want to pass
    any judgement on the stores here. These days I simply put up all I can
    find, and some of them have to be reliable. The page has become famous.

    >You might want to put a link to the BBB so people could see which businesses
    >are members or if there are any current complaints.
    >Here is the national BBB link: http://www.bbbonline.org/ You may already
    >know the website for the NY BBB.

    I do have the NY site link around here. At one time one could deep link to
    their review of a place. Then they changed into a database. I have often
    used them to find out the address for a place that is trying real hard to
    hide it. Though I didn't use it for this last batch.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Jan 14, 2005
  9. Don Wiss

    R. Makul Guest

    Hello Don:

    While I find your pictures interesting, and in some cases, rather
    amusing, I am not sure about the often surprised and shocked reactions
    of others. What do they expect?

    If you insist on buying something mail order, or over the net, from
    vendors with the very lowest price, it isn't very surprising that
    their operation is based out of some hole in the wall in a low rent
    district. If you want Willoughby-Peerless facilities, expect to pay
    Willoughby-Peerless prices.

    R. Makul, Jan 14, 2005
  10. Don Wiss

    me Guest

    "R. Makul" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Don:
    >
    > While I find your pictures interesting, and in some cases, rather
    > amusing, I am not sure about the often surprised and shocked reactions
    > of others. What do they expect?
    >
    > If you insist on buying something mail order, or over the net, from
    > vendors with the very lowest price, it isn't very surprising that
    > their operation is based out of some hole in the wall in a low rent
    > district. If you want Willoughby-Peerless facilities, expect to pay
    > Willoughby-Peerless prices.

    Willoughby-Peerless:
    http://www.manhattancc.org/marketplace/directory/company_detail.cfm?QID=3228&ClientID=11001
    For those like myself who don't live in NY.
    ;-)
    me

    me, Jan 14, 2005
  11. "Oliver Costich" <> wrote in message

    > Exactly. It's the low overhead the permits the lowest prices. Fancy
    > facilities and personal attention from salespeople cost money.

    You can sell things for even lower prices if you don't actually ship them.

    Andrew Koenig, Jan 19, 2005
  12. Don Wiss

    DL Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:22:20 -0500, Oliver Costich
    <> wrote:

    >I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
    >problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
    >prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
    >Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
    >(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
    >actually one of the better looking of the group.

    Saw those for $299 at Costco yesterday. Was sorely tempted.

    - -

    DL

    http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

    >> Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a bastard.
    >>

    >First of all, Cedeño is not my buddy.

    ::::::::::::::::

    Halter Sucks!

    DL, Jan 21, 2005
  13. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Oliver Costich <> wrote:

    >I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
    >problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
    >prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
    >Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
    >(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
    >actually one of the better looking of the group.

    Did they phone to push accessories? What I saw in their inside was a
    warehouse. But they could have people on phones elsewhere.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Jan 21, 2005
  14. On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:58:49 -0500, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Oliver Costich <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
    >>problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
    >>prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
    >>Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
    >>(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
    >>actually one of the better looking of the group.

    >Did they phone to push accessories? What I saw in their inside was a
    >warehouse. But they could have people on phones elsewhere.

    Yes they sent me an email to call them about my order, which seems to
    be a Brooklyn trademark. But they were not aggressive or hard sell.
    They simply asked if I had high speed compact flash cards and
    batteries. When I said I did, they thanked me and said they would send
    the camera out right away. They even sent it Fedex 2-day when I paid
    for 3-day. It was the US model with all accessories.

    A far cry from some horror stories about US warranties and accessories
    not included. Their ratio of negative ratings is one of the better
    ones for the Brooklyn group though hardly exemplary. On Pricegrabber,
    you have to go $75 higher on a $420 item to get out of Brooklyn.

    Oliver Costich, Jan 21, 2005
  15. On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:02:19 -0800, DL
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:22:20 -0500, Oliver Costich
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
    >>problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
    >>prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
    >>Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
    >>(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
    >>actually one of the better looking of the group.

    >Saw those for $299 at Costco yesterday. Was sorely tempted.

    My Costco had the 5200 for $350 which is a lesser camera. After
    rebate, I'm putting out under $240 including shipping.

    Oliver Costich, Jan 21, 2005
  16. Don Wiss

    Donald Link Guest

    >>>I've dealt with several of the Brooklyn photo stores and never had a
    >>>problem. You have to ask questions and put up with some slime, but the
    >>>prices are excellent. I received a Nikon 5400 today that I ordered
    >>>Monday from Butterfly Photo. Was new with all accessories, and $180
    >>>(30%) less than local stores (and no tax). Of course Butterfly is
    >>>actually one of the better looking of the group.

    >>Did they phone to push accessories? What I saw in their inside was a
    >>warehouse. But they could have people on phones elsewhere.

    >Yes they sent me an email to call them about my order, which seems to
    >be a Brooklyn trademark. But they were not aggressive or hard sell.
    >They simply asked if I had high speed compact flash cards and
    >batteries. When I said I did, they thanked me and said they would send
    >the camera out right away. They even sent it Fedex 2-day when I paid
    >for 3-day. It was the US model with all accessories.
    >
    >A far cry from some horror stories about US warranties and accessories
    >not included. Their ratio of negative ratings is one of the better
    >ones for the Brooklyn group though hardly exemplary. On Pricegrabber,
    >you have to go $75 higher on a $420 item to get out of Brooklyn.

    I am with you and have purchased a Sony Camcorder, Sony Digital camera
    and a ton of other items from Ebay sellers fron these New York Store
    fronts and all of them had a ton of positive feedback and established
    reputation. Hell of a lot less than the the local computer stores
    with their high overhead and ignorant sales people. Over the last
    five years I have had absolutly no problems. Then again, I do a lot
    of reading and research prior to purchasing. I could care less if the
    seller lives in a nut house.

    Donald Link, Jan 21, 2005
  17. Don Wiss

    Guest

    These pictures are very timely, I had been agonizing over whether to
    purchase a Nikon D70 kit from PriceRitePhoto
    (http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0121.htm) or from a local
    store (http://www.samys.com) which was more expensive but that I know
    is legit. Now that I see your pictures I'm even happier that I did.

    On the other hand, in fairness, I should mention that our business has
    ordered something like $50,000 in monitors from BestBuyPlasma, #123 on
    your list (http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0123.htm), and
    the service has always been fine. They have always delivered as
    promised with no hassles and a minimum of the obligatory pressure about
    buying the extended warranty. If I had seen your picture before
    placing our first order I doubt if I would have ever purchased from
    them. So I guess the moral of the story is, as someone else has
    already pointed out, you can't have it both ways. If you expect rock
    bottom prices and the appearance of Best Buy it ain't going to happen.

    Thanks for the tour of Brooklyn... makes me glad I stick to Manhattan
    when I'm in town.

    , Jan 22, 2005