More bad news for Linux advocates

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    In the US and UK markets, at least, Asus will be selling the Eee with either
    Windows XP or Linux pre-installed for the **same price**.

    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/30/windows-xp-powered-eee-pc-laptop-400-april-9th/

    http://www.product-reviews.net/2008...-with-microsoft-windows-xp-at-best-buy-39999/

    Oh, and these kind of reviews really hurt:

    http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-the-windows-xp-version-of-the-asus-eee-pc
    ""When we reviewed the first iteration of the Eee PC we had three main
    gripes: The webcam can't yet be used for video chats, it's not easy to load
    new applications, and there is no mobile broadband support. All three of
    those issues were solved in the Windows version of the system. "

    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4351
    "Still, the biggest criticism from consumers was the use of Asus' customized
    Xandros Linux as an operating system. The "Eee" in Eee PC stands for "Easy
    to Learn, easy to work, easy to play." Unfortunately, although the
    point-and-click Linux interface was indeed simple, most customers didn't
    find it "easy." In fact, the single most common modification that customers
    made to their Eee PCs was the installation of Windows XP."
    impossible, Apr 7, 2008

  2. impossible

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:18:50 GMT
    "impossible" <> wrote:

    > In the US and UK markets, at least, Asus will be selling the Eee with
    > either Windows XP or Linux pre-installed for the **same price**.
    >
    > http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/30/windows-xp-powered-eee-pc-laptop-400-april-9th/
    >
    > http://www.product-reviews.net/2008...-with-microsoft-windows-xp-at-best-buy-39999/
    >
    > Oh, and these kind of reviews really hurt:
    >
    > http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-the-windows-xp-version-of-the-asus-eee-pc
    > ""When we reviewed the first iteration of the Eee PC we had three
    > main gripes: The webcam can't yet be used for video chats, it's not
    > easy to load new applications, and there is no mobile broadband
    > support. All three of those issues were solved in the Windows version
    > of the system. "
    >
    > http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4351
    > "Still, the biggest criticism from consumers was the use of Asus'
    > customized Xandros Linux as an operating system. The "Eee" in Eee PC
    > stands for "Easy to Learn, easy to work, easy to play."
    > Unfortunately, although the point-and-click Linux interface was
    > indeed simple, most customers didn't find it "easy." In fact, the
    > single most common modification that customers made to their Eee PCs
    > was the installation of Windows XP."

    Hi
    Looking at the bestbuy web site, I was interested in buying the windows
    version but if you do a comparison the windows version doesn't support
    mpeg or have a card reader and the warranty is half of the linux
    version... interesting.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp
    Malcolm, Apr 7, 2008

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:18:50 GMT
    > "impossible" <> wrote:
    >
    >> In the US and UK markets, at least, Asus will be selling the Eee with
    >> either Windows XP or Linux pre-installed for the **same price**.
    >>
    >> http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/30/windows-xp-powered-eee-pc-laptop-400-april-9th/
    >>
    >> http://www.product-reviews.net/2008...-with-microsoft-windows-xp-at-best-buy-39999/
    >>
    >> Oh, and these kind of reviews really hurt:
    >>
    >> http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-the-windows-xp-version-of-the-asus-eee-pc
    >> ""When we reviewed the first iteration of the Eee PC we had three
    >> main gripes: The webcam can't yet be used for video chats, it's not
    >> easy to load new applications, and there is no mobile broadband
    >> support. All three of those issues were solved in the Windows version
    >> of the system. "
    >>
    >> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4351
    >> "Still, the biggest criticism from consumers was the use of Asus'
    >> customized Xandros Linux as an operating system. The "Eee" in Eee PC
    >> stands for "Easy to Learn, easy to work, easy to play."
    >> Unfortunately, although the point-and-click Linux interface was
    >> indeed simple, most customers didn't find it "easy." In fact, the
    >> single most common modification that customers made to their Eee PCs
    >> was the installation of Windows XP."
    >>

    > Hi
    > Looking at the bestbuy web site, I was interested in buying the windows
    > version but if you do a comparison the windows version doesn't support
    > mpeg or have a card reader and the warranty is half of the linux
    > version... interesting.

    Never trust a bestbuy spec sheet -- they're notoriously sloppy about those
    things, especially when it comes to manufacturer warranties, because they
    always want to sell you their own warranty as an extra. In any case, Windows
    certainly supports mpeg, so I don't know what that's all about. And every
    source I've ever seen confirms that the memory card reader is a
    stock-standard Eee component. See, for example, the video review of the Eee
    PC4G with XP here, that clearly shows you what's included and gives a nice
    overview of the Eee's strengths and weaknesses.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwB2qtJphE

    If you're going to buy any computer gear in the US, I definitely recommend
    newegg.com. But wait a couple of days, because the XP version of the Eee
    hasn't even been officially been released yet.
    impossible, Apr 7, 2008
  4. impossible

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:55:09 GMT
    "impossible" <> wrote:

    > "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:18:50 GMT
    > > "impossible" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In the US and UK markets, at least, Asus will be selling the Eee
    > >> with either Windows XP or Linux pre-installed for the **same
    > >> price**.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/30/windows-xp-powered-eee-pc-laptop-400-april-9th/
    > >>
    > >> http://www.product-reviews.net/2008...-with-microsoft-windows-xp-at-best-buy-39999/
    > >>
    > >> Oh, and these kind of reviews really hurt:
    > >>
    > >> http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-the-windows-xp-version-of-the-asus-eee-pc
    > >> ""When we reviewed the first iteration of the Eee PC we had three
    > >> main gripes: The webcam can't yet be used for video chats, it's not
    > >> easy to load new applications, and there is no mobile broadband
    > >> support. All three of those issues were solved in the Windows
    > >> version of the system. "
    > >>
    > >> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4351
    > >> "Still, the biggest criticism from consumers was the use of Asus'
    > >> customized Xandros Linux as an operating system. The "Eee" in Eee
    > >> PC stands for "Easy to Learn, easy to work, easy to play."
    > >> Unfortunately, although the point-and-click Linux interface was
    > >> indeed simple, most customers didn't find it "easy." In fact, the
    > >> single most common modification that customers made to their Eee
    > >> PCs was the installation of Windows XP."
    > >>

    > > Hi
    > > Looking at the bestbuy web site, I was interested in buying the
    > > windows version but if you do a comparison the windows version
    > > doesn't support mpeg or have a card reader and the warranty is half
    > > of the linux version... interesting.
    > >

    > Never trust a bestbuy spec sheet -- they're notoriously sloppy about
    > those things, especially when it comes to manufacturer warranties,
    > because they always want to sell you their own warranty as an extra.
    > In any case, Windows certainly supports mpeg, so I don't know what
    > that's all about. And every source I've ever seen confirms that the
    > memory card reader is a stock-standard Eee component. See, for
    > example, the video review of the Eee PC4G with XP here, that clearly
    > shows you what's included and gives a nice overview of the Eee's
    > strengths and weaknesses.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwB2qtJphE
    >
    > If you're going to buy any computer gear in the US, I definitely
    > recommend newegg.com. But wait a couple of days, because the XP
    > version of the Eee hasn't even been officially been released yet.

    Hi
    Yup, newegg is good :) Well I'm surprised they didn't use XPe (or maybe
    they are?) Anyway I've decided to use the Artigo system I have with an
    external touchscreen (Automotive application) and have downloaded a
    trial version of XPe to try out... and maybe wait a few months for the
    bigger version.

    Malcolm, Apr 7, 2008
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:55:09 GMT
    > "impossible" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Malcolm" <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi
    >> > Looking at the bestbuy web site, I was interested in buying the
    >> > windows version but if you do a comparison the windows version
    >> > doesn't support mpeg or have a card reader and the warranty is half
    >> > of the linux version... interesting.
    >> >

    >> Never trust a bestbuy spec sheet -- they're notoriously sloppy about
    >> those things, especially when it comes to manufacturer warranties,
    >> because they always want to sell you their own warranty as an extra.
    >> In any case, Windows certainly supports mpeg, so I don't know what
    >> that's all about. And every source I've ever seen confirms that the
    >> memory card reader is a stock-standard Eee component. See, for
    >> example, the video review of the Eee PC4G with XP here, that clearly
    >> shows you what's included and gives a nice overview of the Eee's
    >> strengths and weaknesses.
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwB2qtJphE
    >>
    >> If you're going to buy any computer gear in the US, I definitely
    >> recommend newegg.com. But wait a couple of days, because the XP
    >> version of the Eee hasn't even been officially been released yet.
    >>

    > Hi
    > Yup, newegg is good :) Well I'm surprised they didn't use XPe (or maybe
    > they are?) Anyway I've decided to use the Artigo system I have with an
    > external touchscreen (Automotive application) and have downloaded a
    > trial version of XPe to try out... and maybe wait a few months for the
    > bigger version.
    >
    > --

    Yes, I think the sooner someone figures out a uniquely good application for
    the Eee the better. And maybe that automotive application of yours, or
    something else involving the need for cheap, mobile test-gear technology, is
    just the thing. Otherwise, I'm not convinced myself yet that there's really
    much of a market for this 'tweener hardware -- too clumsy to count as a
    handheld device, too under-powered to count as a notebook.
    impossible, Apr 7, 2008
  6. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>,
    Malcolm did write:

    > Looking at the bestbuy web site, I was interested in buying the windows
    > version but if you do a comparison the windows version doesn't support
    > mpeg or have a card reader and the warranty is half of the linux
    > version... interesting.

    No big surprise there. They've got to make up the USD50 premium for Dimdows
    in some way.

    By the way, what's the bet that price drops are coming through in
    anticipation of the release of the new Eee 901 model?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 8, 2008
  7. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <1207623733.64007@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    > You do realise that for what it is [the Eee is] way overpriced to start

    with.

    Compared to what? What else offers a comparable range of features for that
    price?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 9, 2008
  8. impossible

    Damos Guest

    Re: More bad news for Lawnux advocates

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:09:20 +1200, E. Scrooge > <"<scrooge"@*shot.co.nz>
    wrote:

    >> By the way, what's the bet that price drops are coming through in
    >> anticipation of the release of the new Eee 901 model?

    > You do realise that for what it is it's way overpriced to start with.
    >
    > With so little hardware in it the original novelty eee wouldn't be worth
    > more than $400 at the very most.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thats true if you're after a standard laptop.

    I'm interested in the eee 9.1 because it will allow me to wordprocess and
    read pdf's and chk email.
    But the biggest advantage to me is its _size_. OK it doesn't have a cd.dvd
    drive but I have tv and sterio for doing that.
    It doesn't have the biggest storage ability but it will happily carry
    hundreds of documents and pdf's.
    I also have a box at home with more than enough processing power.
    Its small enough that I can put it in my backpackand ride to and from work.
    If we are brutaly honest unless we are playing games, editing graphics
    files alot of the things we use are pc's for could be done using pc's from
    several years ago.
    (although that comment is probably correct for the average user than the
    ppl who frequent news groups like this one)

    The ee is like mini car, its small and does what it aims to do, so dont
    complain that it's boot is smaller then a standard saloon car.

    D.

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.
    Damos, Apr 9, 2008
  9. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <1207716621.115799@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >> In article <1207623733.64007@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >>> You do realise that for what it is [the Eee is] way overpriced to start

    >> with.
    >>
    >> Compared to what? What else offers a comparable range of features for
    >> that price?

    > Compared to a Laptop with a screen that's twice the size. Has more RAM
    > and a decent size Hard Drive.

    For NZD599? Show me.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 9, 2008
  10. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > [The Eee] will be seen as a toy using yesterdays technology.

    True enough about the Dimdows XP version.

    Given the popularity of Vista among the consumer market, I can't see an
    XP-based Eee doing well at all. The consumers will recognize that Microsoft
    is trying to dump obsolete software on them, and that will only hurt the
    Microsoft brand.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 9, 2008
  11. Re: More bad news for Lawnux advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > In article <47fc74fc$>, Rob Simpson <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a good use for it and the
    >> size is perfect. And I have had a play with one. Have you? Or are you
    >> just dissing it because you can?

    > Because I have better, I have an Apple MacBook Pro.

    Get an Eee as well. It's great to take those places where the MacBook is too
    much to carry.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 9, 2008
  12. impossible

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 19:56:54 +1200, whoisthis <> wrote:

    > In article <47fc74fc$>, Rob Simpson <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:53:39 +1200, whoisthis propped his eyelids open
    >> with toothpicks and wrote:
    >>

    >> > It will be seen as a toy using yesterdays technology.

    >> If you don't like it, nobody is twisting your arm to buy it. There are a
    >> lot of people who have bought one, and I haven't seen a single complaint
    >> about it in any of the ngs I frequent. It's possible that no buyers view
    >> any of the same groups, but it's just as possible some do and they are
    >> happy with their purchase. Either way, just because you have some
    >> problem
    >> with the size, or the OS, it's not going to make a speck of difference
    >> them, and I doubt your views will make any difference to future possible
    >> buyers.
    >>
    >> Personally, I'm waiting to see if the price does come down a bit for the
    >> original version, then I will get one. I have a good use for it and the
    >> size is perfect. And I have had a play with one. Have you? Or are you
    >> just
    >> dissing it because you can?

    > Because I have better, I have an Apple MacBook Pro.

    Which I would expect cost more than $400 though.

    ;-)

    D.

    Damos, Apr 9, 2008
  13. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > In article <fti6oh$h3l$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, whoisthis did
    >> write:

    >> > Because I have better, I have an Apple MacBook Pro.

    >> Get an Eee as well. It's great to take those places where the MacBook is
    >> too much to carry.

    > My MacBook has been around the world with me and has spent all day in a
    > day pack wandering around Rome ...

    Not something you could pop into an overnight bag, though.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 10, 2008
  14. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <1207778253.828484@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >> In article <1207716621.115799@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:fthftb$3m3$...

    >>> Compared to a Laptop with a screen that's twice the size. Has more RAM
    >>> and a decent size Hard Drive.

    >> For NZD599? Show me.

    > The Warehouse had Lenovos on special for $600.

    "Had"? So it's not available any more?

    Remember the Eee price I'm quoting is the regular, undiscounted price, not
    a "special" price. No cashbacks or other nonsense.

    > Anyway a cheap laptop on average is around $800 new.

    That's fine for those who really want to pay more. Not everybody does.

    > The piddle arse keyboard of the eee is easy to make mistakes on.

    I don't find that. I'm typing on it right now, at about my usual
    touch-typing speed. See if you can find any mistakes in this posting. :)

    > The low res screen is it's biggest handicap.

    Not too bad. The main app I use on it is Firefox, so I'm regularly looking
    at pages too big to fit on the screen without scrolling both sideways and
    up and down. Even so, it's still more convenient to be able to view them
    while reclining here on my sofa, than to walk the few steps to my office in
    the next room, where I have bigger screens available.

    I will agree that the touchpad is a pain. That's why I avoid using it at
    every opportunity. Including learning to use the arrow keys to scroll
    around in Firefox.

    > Be a bit hard to download a GB of pictures from a digital camera into the
    > little eee ...

    True. But then, why download them? Why not just take the card out of the
    camera, stick it into the Eee, and view them directly from there?

    > ... and even harder to see them at their original resolution on
    > the 7 inch screen.

    True, except any machine with a bigger screen size would be even harder to
    carry around, on top of the weight of your camera, lenses, spare batteries
    etc. It's all about tradeoffs.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 10, 2008
  15. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > In article <ftjpkn$fmm$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, whoisthis did
    >> write:

    >> > My MacBook has been around the world with me and has spent all day in a
    >> > day pack wandering around Rome ...

    >> Not something you could pop into an overnight bag, though.

    > FFS.... get over it and yourself, why not come out with something
    > important like the colour of the case.

    Typical Apple-lover response. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 10, 2008
  16. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > In article <47fe924a$>, Rob Simpson <> wrote:
    >
    >> A Linux powered EEE is perfect for the usage I intend to get out of it.
    >> Why should I pay 4 times the price for your quality? I could wipe my arse
    >> with $20 bills for a week and still be laughing at you.

    > Quality has everything to do with it. Everything I do just works.

    Except when it doesn't
    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/01/23/video-pros-dont-install-that-quicktime-7-4-update-yet>,
    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/03/14/itunes-to-everyone-sucks-to-be-you>.

    This whole thread seemed to be about trying to bash those who think that an
    Eee, or any of the other budget Linux-powered laptops, might be a good
    choice for some users. Why is that seen by some as such a big threat?
    Because it means the first little cracks are starting to show in
    Microsoft's heretofore unassailable dominance.

    And why did the Apple advocates feel the need to bring their favaourite
    platform into the discussion as well? Because they're accustomed to being
    the only brand that gets the looks and the admiration from random strangers
    when they carry their wares in the coffee-shop or in the street. But the
    Eee shows you can get a cute, stylish little machine without having to pay
    Apple-style prices for it. In fact, it's difficult to see how Apple could
    bring out such a machine in the same price bracket.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  17. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > The Eee is such an extremely limited machine which make it worthless for
    > 90% of the things I do. It is not going to take over the world.

    From little acorns
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/11/asus_intel_predict_huge_growth/> ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  18. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <1207908960.769750@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >> ... any machine with a bigger screen size would be even harder
    >> to carry around, on top of the weight of your camera, lenses, spare
    >> batteries etc. It's all about tradeoffs.

    > Losing the power of a reasonable size PC complete with sound and graphics
    > cards is far too much of trade off.
    >
    > What you have left is small stripped down over priced nolvety item that's
    > next to useless if someone wants some real computing power.

    Think of it as a secondary machine, cheap enough to buy in addition to, not
    instead of, your primary machine. Small enough to take places where it
    would be hard to go with your primary machine, yet still packing a
    reasonable package of computing power. So it gives you access to
    capabilities that otherwise you would not have at all.

    And the Eee is not your only option. For instance, HP is now joining this
    space <http://www.switched.com/2008/04/09/hp-reveals-asus-eee-competitor/>
    <http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS4205653001.html>.

    This market looks set to get quite big
    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/11/asus_intel_predict_huge_growth/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  19. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > In article <ftni04$nnu$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, whoisthis did
    >> write:
    >>
    >> > The Eee is such an extremely limited machine which make it worthless
    >> > for 90% of the things I do. It is not going to take over the world.

    >> From little acorns
    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/11/asus_intel_predict_huge_growth/>

    > Zip Drives

    Quite popular among Mac users, if I remember rightly. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 11, 2008
  20. Re: More bad news for Dimdows advocates

    In article <>, whoisthis did
    write:

    > In article <ftnica$nnu$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> This market looks set to get quite big

    <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/11/asus_intel_predict_huge_growth/>.

    > The market for the following was huge too.
    > Hoola Hoop
    > Rubiks Cube
    > Chatter Rings
    > Zip Drives
    > Floppy Disks
    > Tamaguchi (sp?)
    > 8 Track tapes
    > Beta Max

    Apple II, 68K Macs, PowerMacs, PowerBooks, Newton, Pippin ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 12, 2008