More AMD stuff to weep over..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Big Cat@parxxx.net.nz, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Big

    Big Guest

    Big , Sep 22, 2003

  2. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:58:56 +1200, Al-Majid wrote:

    > Hey Bigcat, if you had used 'Tiny url" ( http://tinyurl.com/ ) your post
    > would have looked like this:

    URL rewriters have come and gone over the years and many have finite
    lifetimes on the URLs they do provide.

    It's no use when you're looking through google archives 3-10 years after
    the original posting to find that the posted redirector URL is
    unavailable. At least if the full URL is there it may still be up,
    redirected somewhere else or in the wayback machine (www.archive.org)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:58:56 +1200, Al-Majid wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Bigcat, if you had used 'Tiny url" ( http://tinyurl.com/ ) your
    >> post would have looked like this:

    > URL rewriters have come and gone over the years and many have finite
    > lifetimes on the URLs they do provide.
    >
    > It's no use when you're looking through google archives 3-10 years
    > after the original posting to find that the posted redirector URL is
    > unavailable. At least if the full URL is there it may still be up,
    > redirected somewhere else or in the wayback machine (www.archive.org)

    Tinyurl's URLs are valid as long as Tinyurl is still running. What you can
    do is put both the tinyurl'd version and the real version in your post, and
    people can click on the Tinyurl version to avoid problems with wrapping with
    the real links.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Big

    T.N.O. Guest

    "techie" wrote
    > Why should anyone have to go to all the trouble of using tinyurl just
    > because Microsoft is too incompetent to write a simple newsreader?

    because the masses use OE, and it is just easier than having to deal with
    idiots who cant handle to complex issues related to copying and pasting :)

    T.N.O., Sep 23, 2003
  5. T.N.O. wrote:
    > "techie" wrote
    >> Why should anyone have to go to all the trouble of using tinyurl just
    >> because Microsoft is too incompetent to write a simple newsreader?
    >>

    > because the masses use OE, and it is just easier than having to deal
    > with idiots who cant handle to complex issues related to copying and
    > pasting :)

    Especially if said URL spans 4 lines or more.. :)

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 23, 2003
  6. In article <bko7f1$p0r$>, "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote:
    >T.N.O. wrote:
    >> "techie" wrote
    >>> Why should anyone have to go to all the trouble of using tinyurl just
    >>> because Microsoft is too incompetent to write a simple newsreader?
    >>>

    >> because the masses use OE, and it is just easier than having to deal
    >> with idiots who cant handle to complex issues related to copying and
    >> pasting :)

    >Especially if said URL spans 4 lines or more.. :)

    Let them remain ignorant ! ... that's what masses are for :) :)

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 23, 2003
  7. Big

    lost Guest

    Big, wrote:

    > Seems that the P4 EE beets the new 64 bit AMD

    If AMD should go bust, then people will again understand the meaning of Intel Extreme Pricing

    > I hope these links work, the long one was taken direct from the translated
    > site.

    They don't seem to work

    lost, Sep 23, 2003
  8. Big

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:37:59 +1200, lost <> wrote:

    >Big, wrote:
    >
    >> Seems that the P4 EE beets the new 64 bit AMD

    > If AMD should go bust, then people will again understand the meaning of Intel Extreme Pricing
    >

    >> I hope these links work, the long one was taken direct from the translated
    >> site.

    >They don't seem to work

    They do if you have the brains to use them..

    Big , Sep 23, 2003
  9. Big

    back again Guest

    lost <> wrote in news::

    > Subject: Re: More AMD stuff to weep over..
    > From: lost <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > Big, wrote:
    >
    >> Seems that the P4 EE beets the new 64 bit AMD

    > If AMD should go bust, then people will again understand the meaning
    > of Intel Extreme Pricing
    >

    >> I hope these links work, the long one was taken direct from the
    >> translated site.

    > They don't seem to work

    I don't get it. How could Intel be so stupid? Everyone knows if they label
    anything "Extreme" it will have crap performance and run hot. I still have
    difficulty hoding a straight face when I read about Intel "Extreme"
    graphics.

    back again, Sep 23, 2003
  10. Big

    Al-Majid Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:58:56 +1200, Al-Majid wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hey Bigcat, if you had used 'Tiny url" ( http://tinyurl.com/ ) your
    > >> post would have looked like this:

    > > URL rewriters have come and gone over the years and many have finite
    > > lifetimes on the URLs they do provide.
    > >
    > > It's no use when you're looking through google archives 3-10 years
    > > after the original posting to find that the posted redirector URL is
    > > unavailable. At least if the full URL is there it may still be up,
    > > redirected somewhere else or in the wayback machine (www.archive.org)

    > Tinyurl's URLs are valid as long as Tinyurl is still running. What you can
    > do is put both the tinyurl'd version and the real version in your post,

    and
    > people can click on the Tinyurl version to avoid problems with wrapping

    with
    > the real links.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    A voice of reason in the wilderness. Also I did not know about the lime
    limit on url re-writers.

    Al-Majid, Sep 23, 2003
  11. Big

    Big Guest

    On 23 Sep 2003 14:42:42 GMT, back again <> wrote:

    >lost <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Subject: Re: More AMD stuff to weep over..
    >> From: lost <>
    >> Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >>
    >> Big, wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seems that the P4 EE beets the new 64 bit AMD

    >> If AMD should go bust, then people will again understand the meaning
    >> of Intel Extreme Pricing
    >>

    >>> I hope these links work, the long one was taken direct from the
    >>> translated site.

    >> They don't seem to work
    >>

    >I don't get it. How could Intel be so stupid? Everyone knows if they label
    >anything "Extreme" it will have crap performance and run hot. I still have
    >difficulty hoding a straight face when I read about Intel "Extreme"
    >graphics.

    You got it all wrong and you never ever read the Article, the Extreme version
    of the P4 has 1 2 meg L3 cash, has noting at all about it running hot and it
    kills the 64 bit Athlon..

    Big , Sep 24, 2003
  12. Big

    Andrew Guest

    This is also quite interesting

    http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0LDY=

    <Big > wrote in message

    > Seems that the P4 EE beets the new 64 bit AMD
    >

    > I hope these links work, the long one was taken direct from the translated
    > site.

    http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=htt
    p%3A%2F%

    http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=htt
    p%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ex86%2Dsecret%2Ecom%2Fpopups%2Farticleswindow%2Ephp%3Fid%3D91

    Andrew, Sep 25, 2003