    Microsoft had to go beyond the target of 5000 layoffs it announced earlier
    in the year, now this.

    Proprietary software is in decline.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 11, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On Nov 11, 7:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=27130>
    >
    > I believe they're the second-largest proprietary-software company. First
    > Microsoft had to go beyond the target of 5000 layoffs it announced earlier
    > in the year, now this.
    >
    > Proprietary software is in decline.

    but is OS in asendence?

    I think the answer is a mixed no.....the increasing cost of proprietry
    software is interesting, generally we are noticing hefty cost
    increases usually a mixture of licencing changes that impact badly and
    a % increase in the annual maintenance fee. So we are cutting back,
    and/or user pays where we can. This raises some interesting results,
    the biggest issue is the disconnection between the payer and the user,
    if the user doesnt pay they want the latest and greatest....if they
    are asked to cough up...the difference is startling....a huge % dont
    and in fact ask for OS instead (where its available).

    On the flip side with the release of "R" SAS is now offering a greatly
    reduced site licence to defend its market and brain share, result we
    are saving a packet and can run it just about any where, thanks to
    open source competition...

    In the private world my admittedly limit contact points to continuing
    use of products like Office97/2000..some use of oOo, or pirating seems
    to be increasing...in small businesses. Pirating can be a mixture of
    straight out, or getting hands on acedemic/student versions...its
    almost cheaper to do a course and become eligable student software
    than pay list.

    regards
    thingy, Nov 12, 2009

  3. In message
    <>, thingy
    wrote:

    > On Nov 11, 7:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >> Proprietary software is in decline.

    > but is OS in asendence?

    Given that open-source businesses continue to grow in revenue and profits,
    I'd say yes.

    > On the flip side with the release of "R" SAS is now offering a greatly
    > reduced site licence to defend its market and brain share, result we
    > are saving a packet and can run it just about any where, thanks to
    > open source competition...

    Sure, that sort of tactic may slow the shift, but the shift is still
    happening. And being that selling software is the essential core of their
    business model, the proprietary companies cannot sustain cut-down prices
    (and consequent cut-down profits) for very long.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 12, 2009