More 5D evidence...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Mark²

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    > http://www.digitalkamera.de/Kameras/Canon-EOS-5D.asp

    Well, if this is a hoax, I've been taken in. I haven't seen this much smoke
    on the boards in quite a while. But here's hoping that two of the items, the
    5D and 24-105L are real, since they would make me reach for my plastic in a
    second. Full frame (yeah, I know...), an excellent walk-around/event lens,
    and the ability to use all that glass that was designed for that frame size
    is too good to resist. In fact, only the cost of the 1Ds or the 1DsII has
    kept me away from that setup. Plus, the cameras are the size of the Titanic.

    Kinon O'cann, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Mark²

    george Guest

    I guess if you've been waiting for a new Canon, you should be hoping that
    this ISN'T like the Canon 9950 printer (Canon USA chooses NOT to sell it in
    the U.S.).

    george, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "george" <> wrote in message
    >I guess if you've been waiting for a new Canon, you should be hoping that
    >this ISN'T like the Canon 9950 printer (Canon USA chooses NOT to sell it in
    >the U.S.).

    I don't know of any Canon DSLRs that haven't made it to the US.
    The differences have been in name only.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  5. Mark²

    Skip M Guest

    "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message

    >> http://www.digitalkamera.de/Kameras/Canon-EOS-5D.asp

    > Well, if this is a hoax, I've been taken in. I haven't seen this much
    > smoke on the boards in quite a while. But here's hoping that two of the
    > items, the 5D and 24-105L are real, since they would make me reach for my
    > plastic in a second. Full frame (yeah, I know...), an excellent
    > walk-around/event lens, and the ability to use all that glass that was
    > designed for that frame size is too good to resist. In fact, only the cost
    > of the 1Ds or the 1DsII has kept me away from that setup. Plus, the
    > cameras are the size of the Titanic.

    Yeah, I just got a brand new AmEx Gold Business card. This would be just
    the ticket to break it in, don't you think? ;-)

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Mark²

    l e o Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > "george" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I guess if you've been waiting for a new Canon, you should be hoping that
    >>this ISN'T like the Canon 9950 printer (Canon USA chooses NOT to sell it in
    >>the U.S.).

    > I don't know of any Canon DSLRs that haven't made it to the US.
    > The differences have been in name only.

    He's refering to the CD printing function of the Canon inkjets being
    left out. It was the case for Epson printers too but now they include
    the features in the north american models. I don't think this is what
    Canon really want to do. Does anyone know the real reason? Likely
    patents, I guess.
    l e o, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Mark²

    Stacey Guest

    l e o wrote:

    > He's refering to the CD printing function of the Canon inkjets being
    > left out. It was the case for Epson printers too but now they include
    > the features in the north american models. I don't think this is what
    > Canon really want to do. Does anyone know the real reason? Likely
    > patents, I guess.

    The better question is who cares if a photo quality printer can print CD's?

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >l e o wrote:
    >>

    >> He's refering to the CD printing function of the Canon inkjets being
    >> left out. It was the case for Epson printers too but now they include
    >> the features in the north american models. I don't think this is what
    >> Canon really want to do. Does anyone know the real reason? Likely
    >> patents, I guess.

    > The better question is who cares if a photo quality printer can print
    > CD's?

    I do.
    I am having a ball finally being able to produce professional-looking DVDs
    with incredible-looking labels. It beats the pants off of using "Stomper
    Labels" or the like.

    I now have a printer entirely dedicated to printing CD/DVD labels.

    If anyone is interested, Costco is now selling the Epson Photo R300 for a
    measly $99 after an instant #30 rebate. That's only $30 more than it costs
    to buy a set of 6 ink carts for it. -For that reason, I may just buy a
    second one to use at work... :)

    It does a great job of printing on printable CD/DVD discs...
    Fuji makes a great disc that is printable, but still silver.
    Costco sells a stack of 100 White printable TDK DVD-R discs for cheap.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  9. Mark²

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.digitalkamera.de/Kameras/Canon-EOS-5D.asp

    >> Well, if this is a hoax, I've been taken in. I haven't seen this much
    >> smoke on the boards in quite a while. But here's hoping that two of the
    >> items, the 5D and 24-105L are real, since they would make me reach for my
    >> plastic in a second. Full frame (yeah, I know...), an excellent
    >> walk-around/event lens, and the ability to use all that glass that was
    >> designed for that frame size is too good to resist. In fact, only the
    >> cost of the 1Ds or the 1DsII has kept me away from that setup. Plus, the
    >> cameras are the size of the Titanic.
    >>

    > Yeah, I just got a brand new AmEx Gold Business card. This would be just
    > the ticket to break it in, don't you think? ;-)

    Hell, give it good break in. Get two. Just let me know when and where I can
    pick mine up.

    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 16, 2005
  10. Mark²

    Skip M Guest

    "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote in message

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Well, if this is a hoax, I've been taken in. I haven't seen this much
    >>> smoke on the boards in quite a while. But here's hoping that two of the
    >>> items, the 5D and 24-105L are real, since they would make me reach for
    >>> my plastic in a second. Full frame (yeah, I know...), an excellent
    >>> walk-around/event lens, and the ability to use all that glass that was
    >>> designed for that frame size is too good to resist. In fact, only the
    >>> cost of the 1Ds or the 1DsII has kept me away from that setup. Plus, the
    >>> cameras are the size of the Titanic.
    >>>

    >> Yeah, I just got a brand new AmEx Gold Business card. This would be just
    >> the ticket to break it in, don't you think? ;-)

    > Hell, give it good break in. Get two. Just let me know when and where I
    > can pick mine up.

    I am getting two, one for me, one for my wife... ;-)

    Skip M, Aug 16, 2005
  11. Mark²

    Skip M Guest

    > "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >>l e o wrote:
    >>>

    > If anyone is interested, Costco is now selling the Epson Photo R300 for a
    > measly $99 after an instant #30 rebate. That's only $30 more than it
    > costs to buy a set of 6 ink carts for it. -For that reason, I may just
    > buy a second one to use at work... :)
    >
    > It does a great job of printing on printable CD/DVD discs...
    > Fuji makes a great disc that is printable, but still silver.
    > Costco sells a stack of 100 White printable TDK DVD-R discs for cheap.

    Thanks for that info, Mark.

    Skip M, Aug 16, 2005
  12. Mark²

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    > I am getting two, one for me, one for my wife... ;-)

    Figures. Once again, I'm playing second fiddle.

    Again, assuming this damn thing and that lens is real, I'm on board as soon
    as possible, and all the film gear goes away. I might throw in a FF fisheye,
    as well. Love those fisheyes.

    Of course, I keep the 20D as a second body, and the 17-85 lens becaue that
    combo is so damned good.

    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 16, 2005
  13. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    >> "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >>>l e o wrote:
    >>>>

    >> If anyone is interested, Costco is now selling the Epson Photo R300 for a
    >> measly $99 after an instant #30 rebate. That's only $30 more than it
    >> costs to buy a set of 6 ink carts for it. -For that reason, I may just
    >> buy a second one to use at work... :)
    >>
    >> It does a great job of printing on printable CD/DVD discs...
    >> Fuji makes a great disc that is printable, but still silver.
    >> Costco sells a stack of 100 White printable TDK DVD-R discs for cheap.
    >>

    > Thanks for that info, Mark.

    Let me know if you get one, Skip, and I'll send you a few tips I've
    discovered to get the discs printing just right.

    -M
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  14. Mark² wrote:
    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>If anyone is interested, Costco is now selling the Epson Photo R300 for a
    >>>measly $99 after an instant #30 rebate. That's only $30 more than it
    >>>costs to buy a set of 6 ink carts for it. -For that reason, I may just
    >>>buy a second one to use at work... :)
    >>>
    >>>It does a great job of printing on printable CD/DVD discs...
    >>>Fuji makes a great disc that is printable, but still silver.
    >>>Costco sells a stack of 100 White printable TDK DVD-R discs for cheap.

    >>Thanks for that info, Mark.

    > Let me know if you get one, Skip, and I'll send you a few tips I've
    > discovered to get the discs printing just right.

    How 'bout posting such tips right here? I've got said machine- came
    cheap with a G-5- and have printed all of two CDs.

    --
    John McWilliams

    Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
    When we first practice to decieve
    John McWilliams, Aug 16, 2005
  15. Mark²

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> I am getting two, one for me, one for my wife... ;-)

    > Figures. Once again, I'm playing second fiddle.
    >
    > Again, assuming this damn thing and that lens is real, I'm on board as
    > soon as possible, and all the film gear goes away. I might throw in a FF
    > fisheye, as well. Love those fisheyes.
    >
    > Of course, I keep the 20D as a second body, and the 17-85 lens becaue that
    > combo is so damned good.

    At least one 20D stays, and we already have a 15mm fisheye, and finally, it
    will act like one, and the 16-35 f2.8 will act like the wide zoom it's
    rumored to be...

    Skip M, Aug 17, 2005
  16. Mark²

    Skip M Guest

    Thanks, I'll do that...

    Skip M, Aug 17, 2005
  17. Mark²

    Stacey Guest

    Mark² wrote:

    > "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The better question is who cares if a photo quality printer can print
    >> CD's?

    > I now have a printer entirely dedicated to printing CD/DVD labels.
    >
    > If anyone is interested, Costco is now selling the Epson Photo R300 for a
    > measly $99 after an instant #30 rebate.

    Exactly my point..
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Aug 17, 2005
  18. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > Mark² wrote:
    >

    >> "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The better question is who cares if a photo quality printer can print
    >>> CD's?

    >> I now have a printer entirely dedicated to printing CD/DVD labels.
    >>
    >> If anyone is interested, Costco is now selling the Epson Photo R300 for a
    >> measly $99 after an instant #30 rebate.

    > Exactly my point..
    > --
    >
    > Stacey

    And what point was that?

    I can either buy paper sticker labels, creating extra trash, extrra cost,
    extra hassle, extra mess, amateurish looks, and ink consumption...
    ....or I can print directly to disc with merely the ink.
    Makes a great deal of sense to me.

    What's the beef?
    Mark², Aug 17, 2005
  19. Mark²

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:49:34 -0400, Stacey <> wrote:

    >l e o wrote:
    >>

    >> He's refering to the CD printing function of the Canon inkjets being
    >> left out. It was the case for Epson printers too but now they include
    >> the features in the north american models. I don't think this is what
    >> Canon really want to do. Does anyone know the real reason? Likely
    >> patents, I guess.

    >The better question is who cares if a photo quality printer can print CD's?

    This issue has been repeatedly discussed to death in
    comp.periphs.printers. Consensus is that Canon USA refused to pay the
    patent holder.

    There have been repeated threads in that group about importing a
    CD-print-capable printer into the US from Europe, and even some
    threads about do-it-yourself modifications to "unlock" CD printing.

    The real answer seems to be go buy a low-cost Epson printer! By the
    way the new high-end Epson photo printers don't do CD's either.

    Padre Kodak
    Father Kodak, Aug 17, 2005
  20. Mark²

    Confused Guest

    "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote:

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I am getting two, one for me, one for my wife... ;-)

    I am getting one for me, THAT LOOK from my wife... ;^)

    > Figures. Once again, I'm playing second fiddle.
    >
    > Again, assuming this damn thing and that lens is real, I'm on board as soon
    > as possible, and all the film gear goes away. I might throw in a FF fisheye,
    > as well. Love those fisheyes.
    >
    > Of course, I keep the 20D as a second body, and the
    > 17-85 lens becaue that combo is so damned good.

    I'll keep the 70-200 IS on my KIA 20D.

    Jeff
    Confused, Aug 17, 2005