Moon image comparrisons D-70 and Scanned

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger Halstead, May 29, 2004.

  1. Here's an up-to-date shot (tonight) of the moon using the D-70.
    ASA was set at 400. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Sunspots.htm
    There are some sunspots as well so the page may take a while to load.

    I think with work I might have gotten a little sharper focus, but I
    need to add electric focus to the Meade 10" as it shakes so bad when I
    even touch the focusing knob. Again, I've seen far better shots, but
    it at least gives an idea as capability. The shot was at f 6.4 and
    1/400 sec. This is a single shot with no special procedures or
    precautions taken. (other than asking my neighbor to please not turn
    on the back yard light tonight.) <:))

    I have another that was shot before dark that I may add to show the
    lack of contrast in daylight.

    I did one 5 minute exposure through the 12 to 24 Nikon lens just
    pointed overhead (unguided, but with the clock motor running) I didn't
    get the polar alignment quite right and there was a bit of drift N/S
    on the image which I haven't put up yet. Using the NR setting there
    was no noticeable noise in the shot which was at ASA 400 as well.
    However the light pollution is quite evident even on such a clear
    night.

    We have a frost warning and it's time to bring in the equipment which
    is dripping wet from condensation.

    Maybe some time in the next few evenings (if it's clear) I'll try to
    get some deep sky photos.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, May 29, 2004

  2. On Sat, 29 May 2004 06:14:08 GMT, Roger Halstead
    <> wrote:

    >Here's an up-to-date shot (tonight) of the moon using the D-70.
    >ASA was set at 400. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Sunspots.htm
    >There are some sunspots as well so the page may take a while to load.
    >
    >I think with work I might have gotten a little sharper focus, but I
    >need to add electric focus to the Meade 10" as it shakes so bad when I
    >even touch the focusing knob. Again, I've seen far better shots, but
    >it at least gives an idea as capability. The shot was at f 6.4 and
    >1/400 sec. This is a single shot with no special procedures or
    >precautions taken. (other than asking my neighbor to please not turn
    >on the back yard light tonight.) <:))
    >
    >I have another that was shot before dark that I may add to show the
    >lack of contrast in daylight.
    >
    >I did one 5 minute exposure through the 12 to 24 Nikon lens just
    >pointed overhead (unguided, but with the clock motor running) I didn't
    >get the polar alignment quite right and there was a bit of drift N/S
    >on the image which I haven't put up yet. Using the NR setting there
    >was no noticeable noise in the shot which was at ASA 400 as well.
    >However the light pollution is quite evident even on such a clear
    >night.

    I went ahead and included the star image as well. It's a JPG and on
    the screen I couldn't tell the difference between the 500K file and
    the 60K file so I compressed it and put it up.

    It's now about 3:00 AM so the daylight shot of the moon is going to
    have to wait. <:))

    Roger Halstead, May 29, 2004