Montreal - a picture salvaged from inside Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John H, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. John H

    John H Guest

    John H, Feb 9, 2006

  2. John H

    kayla Guest

    Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
    tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
    picture that looks over exposed..

    Thanks
    Lori

    kayla, Feb 9, 2006

  3. John H

    bugbear Guest

    kayla wrote:
    > Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
    > tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
    > picture that looks over exposed..

    This can be done easily using the "Levels" dialog,
    or with more control in a "Curves" editor.

    http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html

    sections 6.1 and 6.2

    The concepts are applicable to most similar tools.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Feb 9, 2006
  4. John H

    John H Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:29:45 -0500, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

    >Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
    >tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
    >picture that looks over exposed..
    >
    >Thanks
    >Lori

    Thanks. I use Photoshop. Once the levels are adjusted go to
    the saturation tools first trying master then selecting specific
    colour ranges, like blues or yellows. This is best done using
    different layers for each for control and the ability to undo changes
    and view effect by turning layers on or off.. I used layer masks to
    erase the effect in areas where adjustments were undesirable, for
    instance levels in the foreground that brought out a lot of noise.
    Brushes of varying opacity can be used for partially mask. The
    saturation sponge was used to tune specific spots. Perspective was
    corrected with transform>distort.

    Moderate sharpening was used. I think you will find the key
    element to be saturation. Hope this is of some help.

    >On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:39:08 GMT, John H <> wrote:
    >

    >> My wife took a picture of the reredos at Notre Dame Basilica
    >>in Montreal a few years ago. It was hurtin' and she was going to toss
    >>it but I wanted to see if it could be salvaged. You can see the
    >>'after' here: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/notredame.html
    >>and the original: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/original.JPG
    >>
    >> I don't know what it is supposed to look like so guesswork was
    >>involved.
    >>

    >>John H

    John H
    John H, Feb 9, 2006
  5. John H

    John H Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:29:45 -0500, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

    >Excellent!!! I have a few of the" before" pictures. Can you please
    >tell how you achieved this? Whenever I try I get a very pale blah
    >picture that looks over exposed..
    >
    >Thanks
    >Lori

    Another thought, Lori. Assuming Photoshop or = you might try
    this trick to get you close before going to saturation. Add a curves
    adjustment layer but just click ok with no adjustments then change the
    blend mode to screen. Add another curves layer in the same way and
    choose screen again. If you want to go farther but not a lot, repeat
    and lessen the effect by using the opacity slider. Add a saturation
    adjustment layer. This can get you close quickly although the global
    nature of the blending change may not always be what you want.

    >On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:39:08 GMT, John H <> wrote:
    >

    >> My wife took a picture of the reredos at Notre Dame Basilica
    >>in Montreal a few years ago. It was hurtin' and she was going to toss
    >>it but I wanted to see if it could be salvaged. You can see the
    >>'after' here: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/notredame.html
    >>and the original: http://www.accesswave.ca/~lifestyle/original.JPG
    >>
    >> I don't know what it is supposed to look like so guesswork was
    >>involved.
    >>

    >>John H

    John H
    John H, Feb 9, 2006
  6. John H

    kayla Guest

    Thanks for your help bugbear and John. I've downloaded the book, must
    learn about layers and get working on some pictures.

    Lori

    kayla, Feb 10, 2006