    Thanks

    DAVID

    , Dec 16, 2006

  2. Rosco Guest

    cried out

    > I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for
    > my browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft.
    > old dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my
    > PC.
    >
    > This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream"
    > internet radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
    >
    > Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for
    > me to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the
    > improvment is slight it would be well worth it for me.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > DAVID

    The buffering is caused my having dial up. Dial-up is not designed to
    cope with streaming media speeds. Your phone cable has nothing to do
    with it.

    Rosco, Dec 16, 2006

  3. Jerry G. Guest

    You cannot properly stream with dialup. You need DSL service at the very
    minimum. The fastest you will probably be able to have with a dialup is
    about 42 k to 46k under ideal conditions. This is no where near what is
    required for live streaming of any kind.

    Your telephone company uses a simple twisted pair AWG # 22 AWG # 24
    solid conductor wire from your home to their area hub, and then it
    probably goes by fibre to their central office.

    Subscribe for high speed DSL service, and you will see a world of
    difference.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Dec 16, 2006
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-16, Rosco <> wrote:
    > cried out
    >
    >> I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for
    >> my browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft.
    >> old dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my
    >> PC.
    >>
    >> This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream"
    >> internet radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
    >>
    >> Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for
    >> me to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the
    >> improvment is slight it would be well worth it for me.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> DAVID
    >>

    > The buffering is caused my having dial up. Dial-up is not designed to
    > cope with streaming media speeds. Your phone cable has nothing to do
    > with it.

    Well, a rough or un-shielded extension cable won't be helping.

    Some streaming content is offered at a quality suitable for '56K' dialup,
    but the results can be poor. 'Bufferring' the entire file may be the best
    option - or capturing the data for later re-play. It used to take me
    about an hour to get a useable 30 minute programme using the BBC 'listen
    again' service over dial-up. (I had to play around a bit to get the actual
    URL of the stream out of their 'player', and then use mplayer's dumpstream
    option so that I could listen once the file was complete) (That's on
    Linux).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 16, 2006
  5. nobody > Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for my
    > browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft. old
    > dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my PC.
    >
    > This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream" internet
    > radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
    >
    > Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for me
    > to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the improvment
    > is slight it would be well worth it for me.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > DAVID

    You could run phone cord built out of welding cable and it's not going
    to help a bit. You just don't have a big enough bandwidth on dialup.

    nobody >, Dec 17, 2006
  6. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can
    > get for my browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I
    > have this 25ft. old dollar-store type phone cord running
    > from the phone jack to my PC.
    >
    > This usually works fairly well except when I try and
    > "stream" internet radio I keep getting "buffering" type
    > interruptions.
    >
    > Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it
    > help for me to get a much better "monster" type phone cord?
    > Even if the improvment is slight it would be well worth it
    > for me.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > DAVID

    Expensive cables are usually a waste except to people who
    *claim* they can tell the difference between a silver and a gold
    CD-R.

    Monster Cable etc. are a big scam, and people who buy $5,000
    speakers (or wish they could) usually fall for it.

    I have a 9-year old computer with a 33.6 modem and I was able to
    (got bored, still could) listen to streaming audio and voice-
    chat just fine. You might want to read the documentation for
    your program more closely and see if you can change the memory
    buffer settings etc. Another stick of memory might not hurt
    either.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a dial-up connection, and need all the help I can get for my
    > browsing experience. When I am in my garage, I have this 25ft. old
    > dollar-store type phone cord running from the phone jack to my PC.
    >
    > This usually works fairly well except when I try and "stream" internet
    > radio I keep getting "buffering" type interruptions.
    >
    > Is there a signifigant loss in this phone cord? Would it help for me
    > to get a much better "monster" type phone cord? Even if the improvment
    > is slight it would be well worth it for me.

    A monster cord will be a waste of good money.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 18, 2006