Monster Moth

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², Aug 19, 2005.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Mark², Aug 19, 2005

  2. Mark²

    Beck Guest

    Beck, Aug 19, 2005

  3. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
    >>
    >> Bikpela true!

    > urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

    Hadn't noticed that, but I see it.
    -To keep birds away, perhaps?

    Mark², Aug 19, 2005
  4. Mark²

    Beck Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > "Beck" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >>> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
    >>>
    >>> Bikpela true!

    >> urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

    > Hadn't noticed that, but I see it.
    > -To keep birds away, perhaps?

    Was actually the first thing I noticed, my eyes were instantly drawn to
    them. Maybe it is some kind of defence design.

    Beck, Aug 19, 2005
  5. Mark²

    Beck Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > "Beck" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark² wrote:
    >>> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
    >>>
    >>> Bikpela true!

    >> urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

    > Hadn't noticed that, but I see it.
    > -To keep birds away, perhaps?

    Aside from the moths look, it is a very good picture :)

    Beck, Aug 19, 2005
  6. Mark²

    JimKramer Guest

    It is an Atlas Moth. Where were you when you took it?

    Jim

    JimKramer, Aug 19, 2005
  7. Mark²

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Beck wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
    >>
    >> Bikpela true!

    > urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

    I suppose that is to discourage birds from trying to eat him....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Aug 19, 2005
  8. Mark²

    Andy Clews Guest

    Thus spake JimKramer unto the assembled multitudes:
    > It is an Atlas Moth. Where were you when you took it?

    I know it's said that the wing tips look like snakes' heads, but the
    wing-edges (from the sides up to to the tips) look to me like imitations of
    large moth larvae which would probably be poisonous, thus deterring
    predators. Brilliant bit of self-defence evolution.

    --
    Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
    (Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

    Andy Clews, Aug 19, 2005
  9. Mark²

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:55:39 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
    >http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
    >
    >Bikpela true!

    Wow! It's neat that you got the pic just as it emerged; there's no
    damage to the wings at all!
    Thanks!

    --
    Bill Funk