Monster Glass

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JohnR66, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. JohnR66

    JohnR66 Guest

    JohnR66, Oct 5, 2006

  2. On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <> wrote:
    > When enough just ain't enough...
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Misc/IMG_0919.jpg

    I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
    even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
    5" cannon or something?

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 5, 2006

  3. JohnR66

    SimonLW Guest

    "Daniel Silevitch" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <> wrote:
    >> When enough just ain't enough...
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Misc/IMG_0919.jpg

    > I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
    > even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
    > 5" cannon or something?
    >
    > -dms

    Hell, I'm wondering how you move such a thing around given its over 500
    pound weight!
    Considering its on a 6x6 'Blad, field of view is around that of a 850mm lens
    on 35mm or about 500mm lens on a APS sensored digital SLR, so in a way, you
    can get there from here : )
    -S
    SimonLW, Oct 5, 2006
  4. JohnR66

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <> wrote:
    > > When enough just ain't enough...
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Misc/IMG_0919.jpg

    > I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
    > even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
    > 5" cannon or something?
    >
    > -dms

    It had no tripod mount on the lens. There are two gimbal mount points on
    the side of the lens. Those are the white round things sticking out the
    sides. Looking at them at Photokina you could not see any threads in
    them either.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Oct 5, 2006
  5. JohnR66

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:25:12 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <> wrote:
    >> When enough just ain't enough...
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Misc/IMG_0919.jpg

    >I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
    >even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
    >5" cannon or something?
    >
    >-dms

    You're very close. That white protrusion is a trunion mount; there's
    another on the other side.
    And, just like with some cannons, there's a "Y"-shaped mount, that
    those trunions fit in.
    The Y-mount then swivels.
    That thing must weigh a lot!
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Oct 5, 2006
  6. JohnR66

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:25:12 GMT
    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <> wrote:
    > > When enough just ain't enough...
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Misc/IMG_0919.jpg

    > I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much
    > for even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a
    > war-surplus 5" cannon or something?

    That would be one approach. Back in the early 70's the amateur
    astronomy club I belonged to built a 12" f/6 reflecting telescope
    and mounted it on a military surplus gun mount with a U-shaped yoke.
    It was installed under a rotating canvas dome on top of an old
    radar tower at the abandoned Nike missile site near the town of
    Poulsbo in Washington State. It was most definitely not portable.
    I'm pretty sure that scope and everything connected with it are long
    gone now, but the guy who made the mirror (Bob Mathews) still has a
    custom optics business in the area.

    Just on a long shot, does anybody here remember the Olympic Astronomical
    Society from the early 70's? A club with that name had a booth at the
    Kitsap County Fair a few years back, but the kids staffing it didn't
    remember any of the old-timer names I dropped.

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Oct 5, 2006
  7. JohnR66

    John Turco Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <> wrote:
    > > When enough just ain't enough...
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Misc/IMG_0919.jpg

    > I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
    > even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
    > 5" cannon or something?
    >
    > -dms

    Hello, Daniel:

    No photography-related pun intended, with your '5" cannon' remark? :)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Oct 6, 2006
  8. On 06 Oct 2006 04:27:12 EDT, John Turco <> wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:58:13 GMT, JohnR66 <> wrote:
    >> > When enough just ain't enough...
    >> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Misc/IMG_0919.jpg

    >> I'm wondering how such a monstrosity is supported. That's a bit much for
    >> even the heaviest tripod; maybe adapting the mount for a war-surplus
    >> 5" cannon or something?
    >>
    >> -dms

    > Hello, Daniel:
    >
    > No photography-related pun intended, with your '5" cannon' remark? :)

    Heh. No, no pun intended.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 6, 2006