Monopod (tripod) head

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Graham, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, Steve King wrote:

    > I'm looking for a simple monopod (or tripod) head with a quick camera
    > release. The only real action I'd like the head to perfom is a quick flip
    > to vertical from the normal horizontal position. Any recommendations?

    You might not want to bother with a head... just get a quick-flip adapter
    and be done with it. If you're going to use it on a monopod then you sure
    don't need a panning head, though you might want tilt....

    mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

    When that's broken I can use my Nikon D100 :cool:
    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
    <http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=766040>

    Mike Graham, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Mike Graham

    Steve King Guest

    I'm looking for a simple monopod (or tripod) head with a quick camera
    release. The only real action I'd like the head to perfom is a quick flip
    to vertical from the normal horizontal position. Any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    Steve . . .

    Steve King, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Mike Graham

    Steve King Guest

    Mike Graham <> wrote:

    > You might not want to bother with a head... just get a quick-flip adapter
    >and be done with it. If you're going to use it on a monopod then you sure
    >don't need a panning head, though you might want tilt....

    Mike,

    I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
    Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?

    Thanks, Steve . . .

    Steve King, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, Steve King wrote:

    > I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
    > Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?

    Geez, I just saw one at the camera shop a few hours ago, but I didn't
    specifically look at it... I've seen wedding photographers use them.. they
    stay mounted to the camera and they hold the flash so that when the camera
    is flipped the flash stays in the same place. Very handy.

    Mike Graham, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Mike Graham

    rs11 Guest

    Stroboframe Vertaflip is one,. you can get it a good camera store or order
    online.
    works Great

    rs11, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Mike Graham

    JIM Guest

    "rs11" <> wrote in message
    > Stroboframe Vertaflip is one,. you can get it a good camera store or order
    > online.
    > works Great

    You might also like to visit with these guys: www.reallyrightstuff.com -
    they carry a thing called an "L" bracket that would be slower than a
    "quickflip" style rig and you would need a ball head w/QR to use it with.
    However, it allows you to attach your camera *solidly* to either your
    monopod or tripod.

    My experience with any bracket that allows you to rotate the camera within
    it is the reason I don't use one. Too many moving parts do not a solid,
    non-moving, vibration free, mount make. On a monopod, probably not a major
    issue; however, if solid mounting on a tripod is ever a consideration,
    considering a camera within a moveable bracket is counterproductive with
    anything less than some of the most expensive brackets available!

    Shoot'em up, steady, shakey, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
    you for it!!

    Jim

    JIM, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <Mhsdb.10872$>, rs11 wrote:
    > Stroboframe Vertaflip is one,. you can get it a good camera store or order
    > online.
    > works Great

    Doh! I spent about an hour last night figuring out the name. That's it.
    :cool:

    Mind you, the ones of these that I have seen have been fairly large
    affairs that are made to hold an external flash relative to the tripod while
    the camera is flipped, so the flash stays above the lens regardless of
    orientation. This is all well and good for a tripod, but might suck a wee
    bit for 'go-light' monopod work. Mind you, Stroboframe may well sell one
    that doesn't have the flash mount.

    Mike Graham, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Mike Graham

    Martin Guest

    "Mike Graham" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Steve King wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for a simple monopod (or tripod) head with a quick camera
    > > release. The only real action I'd like the head to perfom is a quick

    flip
    > > to vertical from the normal horizontal position. Any recommendations?

    > You might not want to bother with a head... just get a quick-flip

    adapter
    > and be done with it. If you're going to use it on a monopod then you sure
    > don't need a panning head, though you might want tilt....

    Hmmm, always amused me that my monopod came complete with a remarkably
    smooth pan head :) I suppose that the manufacturer just had one production
    line for the heads irrespective of whether they were going on the monos or
    tripods...

    > --
    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > Mike Graham | Metalworker, rustic, part-time zealot.

    Martin

    Martin, Sep 29, 2003
  9. writes:

    >I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
    >Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?

    Manfrotto makes one: the 234RC. It comes with a quick-release mount for
    the camera as well. The base of the quick-release plate is square, so
    you can mount the camera on the head to give either landscape/portrait
    orientation switching, or to use it for tilt adjustment. I think
    there's also a plain 234 head, without the quick-release.

    In the USA, the same head will be sold as a Bogen with some
    incomprehensively different model number.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 29, 2003
  10. Mike Graham

    Stuart B. Guest

    Steve,

    I got some specialized Bogen head from B&H a couple of years back for
    use with my monopod. It included a nice quick release plate and the
    ability to easily tilt through 90 degrees. Perfect to painlessly
    switch from landscape to portrait on the monopod. (Or inbetween if
    you want to do "artsy" things with your framing).

    I think this thing (at B&H) is the same as I bought:

    Bogen
    3229 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Quick Release - Supports 6.00 lb
    (2.72 kg) $27.00

    I leave it attached to my monopod at all times.

    Stuart B

    Stuart B., Sep 29, 2003
  11. Mike Graham

    JIM Guest

    "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message
    > writes:

    .....<cut>....> In the USA, the same head will be sold as a Bogen with some
    > incomprehensively different model number.

    Yep, same as Stuart's 3229. MOF, you will have a hard time finding a 234RC
    designation on Bogen's web site - at least in the U.S.;)

    JIM, Sep 29, 2003
  12. Mike Graham

    Jim Davis Guest

    Re: Re: Monopod (tripod) head

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:24:41 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
    Martindale) wrote/replied to:

    >>I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
    >>Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?

    >Manfrotto makes one: the 234RC. It comes with a quick-release mount for
    >the camera as well. The base of the quick-release plate is square, so
    >you can mount the camera on the head to give either landscape/portrait
    >orientation switching, or to use it for tilt adjustment. I think
    >there's also a plain 234 head, without the quick-release.
    >
    >In the USA, the same head will be sold as a Bogen with some
    >incomprehensively different model number.

    I got one of these for my monopod. I got it because I wanted something
    very small, light, and cheap. It works great. It allows me to have the
    monopod leg way out front where it should be. My lens's tripod collar
    allows me to flip to vertical.

    Jim Davis, Oct 4, 2003