    stan Guest

    Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
    technical specs should I look for in a monitor.
    stan, Nov 3, 2006

  2. "stan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
    > technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

    LCD or CRT?
    Charles Schuler, Nov 3, 2006

  3. On 3 Nov 2006 12:04:03 -0800, "stan" <>
    wrote:

    >Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
    >technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

    For an LCD I insist on 8-bit per RGB channel [24-bit RGB] NOT 6-bit
    like many monitors on the market when I bought an ACER AL1951 19" on
    specs only—ordered one in. Love it.

    The top end LG monitors I was considering at the time were all 6-bit
    as was Sony and Samsung. Maybe things have improved. I no longer
    check.

    6-bit LCD monitors use dithering to get 24-bit RGB.

    How to tell?

    16.2 million colours = 6-bit

    16.7 million colours = 8-bit

    example:

    http://ca.lge.com/en/index.do

    LG LCD Monitors
    Model : L1718S
    Display Colours :16.2M Colours

    ---

    http://global.acer.com/products/monitor/lcd.htm

    ACER LCD Monitors
    Model: AL1952
    Colour support: 24-bit (16.7 million colours) ... [it took a google
    search to find that @ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ ]

    ---end

    Hap
    Hap Shaughnessy, Nov 4, 2006
  4. stan

    John Smith Guest

    stan wrote:

    > Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
    > technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

    The first thing I look for is to make sure it's a CRT. LCDs are nice for
    most purposes, but for color reproduction, they've got an annoying tendancy
    to mess up the color if you're not sitting in exactly the right spot.
    After that, I look for things like low weight (if it's over about 75
    pounds, I can't lift it onto my desk by myself), high dpi, and a reputation
    for quality. It used to be that you could go into a computer store and
    check out the monitors in person, but these days, the only way to buy a CRT
    is online.

    --
    John
    John Smith, Nov 5, 2006
  5. On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 19:19:04 -0800, John Smith <>
    wrote:

    >stan wrote:
    >
    >> Need a monitor for Mac Mini, aside from Apple branded products, what
    >> technical specs should I look for in a monitor.

    >The first thing I look for is to make sure it's a CRT. LCDs are nice for
    >most purposes, but for color reproduction, they've got an annoying tendancy
    >to mess up the color if you're not sitting in exactly the right spot.
    >After that, I look for things like low weight (if it's over about 75
    >pounds, I can't lift it onto my desk by myself), high dpi, and a reputation
    >for quality. It used to be that you could go into a computer store and
    >check out the monitors in person, but these days, the only way to buy a CRT
    >is online.

    I'd say there's a good deal of misinformation here,
    but no matter. Good luck finding a pro-grade CRT.
    Sony stopped making the "Artisan" series a couple
    of years ago. CRT production is in serious decline,
    and there's no R&D going into it whatsover. The
    flip side is that LCD/TFT technology is emergent
    and getting cheaper (and better) by the day.

    BTW, I have dealt with "mail order" monitors,
    and when something goes wrong, it's a major
    pain to repackage and ship back a 50 lb.
    monitor.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Nov 5, 2006
  6. stan

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 23:03:32 -0500, Raphael Bustin
    <> wrote:

    >BTW, I have dealt with "mail order" monitors,
    >and when something goes wrong, it's a major
    >pain to repackage and ship back a 50 lb.
    >monitor.

    I don't see how this is any different when you buy it locally - you
    just use the packaging and box the monitor came in. The main
    difference with mail order is that you call and get an RMA, and then
    call UPS for pickup - you don't have to schlep the box back down to
    the store.

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
    JC Dill, Nov 5, 2006
  7. On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:26:19 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 23:03:32 -0500, Raphael Bustin
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>BTW, I have dealt with "mail order" monitors,
    >>and when something goes wrong, it's a major
    >>pain to repackage and ship back a 50 lb.
    >>monitor.

    >I don't see how this is any different when you buy it locally - you
    >just use the packaging and box the monitor came in. The main
    >difference with mail order is that you call and get an RMA, and then
    >call UPS for pickup - you don't have to schlep the box back down to
    >the store.

    I was seriously disappointed, a couple years back, with a
    Viewsonic p95F (19") monitor that I bought on the 'net.

    I went through two attempts to return the unit for a better
    one and finally gave up. It was a major chore re-packaging
    it, hauling it into and out of the car, and schlepping it to and
    from the UPS depot. The thing weighed around 50 lbs and
    the box was huge.

    These days I use a 21" LCD that's about 1/4 the weight.
    I don't miss the CRT at all.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Nov 5, 2006
  8. stan

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:45:47 -0500, Raphael Bustin
    <> wrote:

    > It was a major chore re-packaging
    >it, hauling it into and out of the car, and schlepping it to and
    >from the UPS depot. The thing weighed around 50 lbs and
    >the box was huge.

    Call UPS and schedule a *pick-up* and have them do the schlepping.

    JC Dill, Nov 5, 2006