Monitoring use on my home network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Chris Cowles, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Chris Cowles

    Chris Cowles Guest

    BunnMan wrote:
    > I have a home network set up using a linksys 4-port router and cable modem
    > for internet access. Router connects to modem and all computers connect to
    > router. Is there any way for em to monitor interent access of the other
    > computers on my network. the other machines are my kids' computers and I
    > would like to check up on what sites they are visitting and what they are
    > downloading from P2P services and such without going in their room and
    > sitting at there computer. Is this possible???
    > Also, can I restrict access to certain inappropriate sites and files on
    > their connection???
    >
    > Thanks and God bless,
    >
    > -BunnMan

    My kids have a separate computer. I subscribed to MSN solely for the
    purpose of getting parental controls and I'm happy. My eldest is 11, the
    younger is 9. It works fine. Once they get into high school I doubt it
    would be sufficient but I won't try to limit it at that point, anyway.
    I'll simply hope my parenting already worked.

    Anyway, MSN provides fine detail reports if you want. Also, it can be
    configured that anyone using http services on a computer _must_ log into
    MSN first. It's a bit of a pain for me when I'm trying to reconfigure
    they're computer, but I have the non-filtered parent account, anyway.

    I would never personally use MSN as a content provider but it works for
    my purposes regarding controlling or monitoring kids' surfing and email.
    I'll guess AOL has something similar but I don't know details.

    BunnMan, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Chris Cowles

    Malke Guest

    BunnMan wrote:

    > I have a home network set up using a linksys 4-port router and cable
    > modem
    > for internet access. Router connects to modem and all computers
    > connect to router. Is there any way for em to monitor interent access
    > of the other
    > computers on my network. the other machines are my kids' computers
    > and I would like to check up on what sites they are visitting and what
    > they are downloading from P2P services and such without going in their
    > room and
    > sitting at there computer. Is this possible???
    > Also, can I restrict access to certain inappropriate sites and files
    > on their connection???

    Not with your setup. The kind of filtering you are talking about where
    you don't filter locally (on each computer) is done with a server
    running a server-side filtering program. This is overkill for you and
    probably not something a typical home user could set up. Clean up each
    kid's computer with malware removal tools, tell them they can't run P2P
    programs and back it up with consequences. You can look into a NetNanny
    type of program or something like Norton Internet Security with
    parental controls. One approach (which I take) is that all computers
    with Internet access are in one room, a public area of the house. The
    computers in the kids' rooms don't have Internet access.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Chris Cowles

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    As far as monitoring and controlling read this:
    http://www.ezlan.net/monitor.html

    The same applies to Filtering you can install a filter program on each
    computer (and then savvy Kids might be able to disable it), or centrally
    filter Internet access.

    If you have a Linksys WRT54GS you can use Linksys parental control service:
    http://www.linksys.com/pcsvc/info.asp

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Chris Cowles

    BunnMan Guest

    I had a feeling that would be the case as far as restricting access. Isn't
    there a way I can look at web history and such on the kids' machines from my
    main computer? I understand I can't stop trash on the way in but at least I
    would know if it came in.

    Thanks and God bless,

    -BunnMan
    BunnMan, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Chris Cowles

    Malke Guest

    BunnMan wrote:

    > I had a feeling that would be the case as far as restricting access.
    > Isn't there a way I can look at web history and such on the kids'
    > machines from my
    > main computer? I understand I can't stop trash on the way in but at
    > least I would know if it came in.

    I suppose you could use Remote Desktop to go in there, but I don't
    understand why you can't just go to their computers and look. It is a
    great deterrent to bad behavior if children know that the parent can
    and will do spot inspections randomly.

    Malke
    Malke, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Chris Cowles

    David Guest

    > I suppose you could use Remote Desktop to go in there, but I don't
    > understand why you can't just go to their computers and look. It is a
    > great deterrent to bad behavior if children know that the parent can
    > and will do spot inspections randomly.

    Sorry I can't give any technical answers. As a parent, I feel the only form
    of decent parental control is parent hovering in background. My kids are 7
    and 9, and when they are online one of us is usually not far away -
    epecially when they have next doors teenagers round. To be fair, I've not
    seen them deliberately go and find anything unsuitable.

    When they are older we will let them have the internet in their rooms, but
    the deal will be that all internet traffic *will* be monitored - including
    spot checks on their pc's either by inspection, remote desktop or whatever
    means is available at the time.

    I'm guessing that there is no real way to stop teenage boys looking at
    breasts etc - the main concern is chatrooms.
    David, Jan 3, 2005