    Something like the one in Solarwinds only free.

    Thanks,
    Clayton
    Clayton, Jan 7, 2004

  2. In article <bth81l$nrj$>,
    Clayton <> wrote:
    :Anyone know of a good, preferably cheap or free tool that will give you a
    :real time sort of "speedometer" on interfaces via SNMP to run on the ol'
    :desktop? Not like five minute averages, but like 1 second averages.
    :Something like the one in Solarwinds only free.

    Some devices aren't very happy about being polled that often...
    --
    Contents: 100% recycled post-consumer statements.
    Walter Roberson, Jan 7, 2004

  3. In article <bth81l$nrj$>,
    Clayton <> wrote:
    >Anyone know of a good, preferably cheap or free tool that will give you a
    >real time sort of "speedometer" on interfaces via SNMP to run on the ol'
    >desktop? Not like five minute averages, but like 1 second averages.
    >Something like the one in Solarwinds only free.

    Try here ...

    http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/alpha-progs.html

    alan
    Alan Strassberg, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Just my opinion, but if you're interested in interface traffic statistics at significantly
    less than 1 minute polling intervals/average, then you *really* should considering tools
    based around NetFlow traffic reporting technologies (and suchlike bretheren).

    Many (Cisco at least, though I think some other vendors too) devices support NetFlow
    exporting of traffic statistics, and if not, you can get (OpenSource, and commercial)
    software which will "sniff" the interface and generate NetFlow style packets of statistics.

    google for
    ntop
    http://www.ntop.org/
    nprobe
    http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html
    flowscan
    http://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/flowscan/index.xml
    http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/FlowScan/
    http://www.malware.org/flowscan_tools.htm
    Cisco NetFlow Collector
    HP-OV
    InMon have a NetFlow analyzer
    http://www.inmon.com/
    Abilene (Internet2) uses NetFlow
    http://netflow.internet2.edu/
    FreshMeat NetFlow projects
    http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=netflow&section=projects

    Switch.ch (swiss edu and research net) netflow tools page
    - seems to be a good allround reference
    http://www.switch.ch/tf-tant/floma/software.html

    Enjoy,
    PhiL P