Monitoring the using SNMP C2950

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by xantos, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. xantos

    xantos Guest

    I am monitoring a C2950 every 5 minutes using SNMP to gather info
    about CPU, memory and interface statistics.
    Monitoring a C2950 at night time is no problem because there is no
    much traffic.
    But during day-time I have problems with a fast-ethernet interface.

    In the morning as soon as the amount of traffic passes approximatily
    640kbits/sec (according to the statistics) monitoring the
    fast-ethernet interface causes problems.

    The utilisation bits/sec statistic stucs.
    The packets/sec statistics has an information gab from the morning
    when the amount of traffic passes the approximatily 640kbits/sec until
    the evening when the amount of traffic passes the 640kbits/sec
    approximatily again.

    The oposite gigabitethernet interface gives nice figures.

    Manual snmpgets gives normal answers.
    CPU usage is 1-2 percent.

    I am wondering whether the C2950 can handle the snmp requests combined
    with larger amount of traffic.

    Please advise.
    Xantos.

    xantos, Oct 24, 2003

  2. xantos

    Andre Beck Guest

    (xantos) writes:

    > I am monitoring a C2950 every 5 minutes using SNMP to gather info
    > about CPU, memory and interface statistics.

    With MRTG?

    > Monitoring a C2950 at night time is no problem because there is no
    > much traffic.
    > But during day-time I have problems with a fast-ethernet interface.
    >
    > In the morning as soon as the amount of traffic passes approximatily
    > 640kbits/sec (according to the statistics) monitoring the
    > fast-ethernet interface causes problems.
    >
    > The utilisation bits/sec statistic stucs.

    It stays stuck at that value?

    > The packets/sec statistics has an information gab from the morning
    > when the amount of traffic passes the approximatily 640kbits/sec until
    > the evening when the amount of traffic passes the 640kbits/sec
    > approximatily again.

    Hmm.

    > The oposite gigabitethernet interface gives nice figures.
    >
    > Manual snmpgets gives normal answers.

    Thats strange.

    > CPU usage is 1-2 percent.

    On some Cisco platforms, SNMP can wreak havoc to the CPU load. Do for
    instance never try to pull the MIB2 routing table from a box that has
    BGP full table (or any table of significant size)...

    > I am wondering whether the C2950 can handle the snmp requests combined
    > with larger amount of traffic.

    If the manual snmpgets give normal answers, it appears that it can.
    Have you checked your monitoring app? Maybe it's just a limiter in
    that software, like MaxBytes/AbsMax in MRTG. Or the software combines
    SNMP OIDs in the queries in a way the 2950 chokes on. Try to sniff that.

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-

    Andre Beck, Oct 25, 2003

  3. xantos

    xantos Guest

    Andre Beck <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > If the manual snmpgets give normal answers, it appears that it can.
    > Have you checked your monitoring app? Maybe it's just a limiter in
    > that software, like MaxBytes/AbsMax in MRTG. Or the software combines
    > SNMP OIDs in the queries in a way the 2950 chokes on. Try to sniff that.

    Thank you Andre,
    It was caused by a few limiters in the MRTG configuration file like MaxBytes/AbsMax.
    I changed the port-configuration but not the MRTG parameters.

    Kind regards,
    Xantos

    xantos, Oct 27, 2003