Monitoring NetWork Usage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tim.B, Jun 7, 2008.

  1. Tim.B

    Tim.B Guest

    Hey guys here my network

    Belkin adsl/modem router Hooked up to a Belkin N router Set to access point

    I'm hooked up to the adsl modem/router

    2 Computers Wired Into the Belkin N Router

    and 2 laptops connected wirelessly to the belkin N router

    What I'm needing is a program to monitor internet usage from each
    computer with out having to install the program or a client on all the
    computers would like only to install it on my pc

    Thank you in advance
    Tim
    Tim.B, Jun 7, 2008

  2. In article <484a12f5$>, Tim.B did write:

    > What I'm needing is a program to monitor internet usage from each
    > computer with out having to install the program or a client on all the
    > computers would like only to install it on my pc

    How is one PC supposed to be able to see traffic that's not going through
    it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2008

  3. Tim.B

    RL Guest

    Tim.B wrote:
    > Hey guys here my network
    >

    > Belkin adsl/modem router Hooked up to a Belkin N router Set to access
    > point
    >

    > I'm hooked up to the adsl modem/router
    >

    > 2 Computers Wired Into the Belkin N Router
    >
    > and 2 laptops connected wirelessly to the belkin N router
    >

    > What I'm needing is a program to monitor internet usage from each
    > computer with out having to install the program or a client on all the
    > computers would like only to install it on my pc

    As Lawrence hinted at, the monitoring system needs to be able to see the
    traffic on the network. The simplest way to see all the network data
    would involve using a hub instead of the built-in switch, and connect
    all the computers and the router to it. You could then use monitoring
    software (I have no specific recommendations for software).

    It might also be possible to configure the hosts to use one PC as the
    default route, and have that PC use the router as the default route.
    That would also allow you to see the traffic from other computers to and
    from the Internet. You need multiple subnets configured to do this, but
    it would allow a software-only solution.

    RL
    RL, Jun 7, 2008
  4. In article <g2datv$15q$>, RL did write:

    > It might also be possible to configure the hosts to use one PC as the
    > default route, and have that PC use the router as the default route.

    I use a USB ADSL modem, and the PC that's connected to does the routing for
    my other machines, as well as providing DHCP and DNS service.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2008
  5. Tim.B

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Tim.B" <> wrote in news:484a12f5$:

    > Belkin adsl/modem router Hooked up to a Belkin N router Set to access
    > point

    See if it supports some kind of logging or SNMP Status.
    Try dlsreports.com forums

    If it were me, I would be putting a logging box between the router and the
    lan.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 7, 2008
  6. Tim.B

    Enkidu Guest

    RL wrote:
    > Tim.B wrote:
    >> Hey guys here my network
    >>

    >> Belkin adsl/modem router Hooked up to a Belkin N router Set to access
    >> point
    >>

    >> I'm hooked up to the adsl modem/router
    >>

    >> 2 Computers Wired Into the Belkin N Router
    >>
    >> and 2 laptops connected wirelessly to the belkin N router
    >>

    >> What I'm needing is a program to monitor internet usage from each
    >> computer with out having to install the program or a client on all the
    >> computers would like only to install it on my pc

    > As Lawrence hinted at, the monitoring system needs to be able to see the
    > traffic on the network. The simplest way to see all the network data
    > would involve using a hub instead of the built-in switch, and connect
    > all the computers and the router to it. You could then use monitoring
    > software (I have no specific recommendations for software).

    Some switches either have a 'monitoring' port or allow you to set one as
    a monitor port. I'd doubt the Belkin has one, but it might.

    > It might also be possible to configure the hosts to use one PC as the
    > default route, and have that PC use the router as the default route.
    > That would also allow you to see the traffic from other computers to and
    > from the Internet. You need multiple subnets configured to do this, but
    > it would allow a software-only solution.

    The PC would also need to route between the two overlayed networks I
    think,

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jun 7, 2008
  7. Tim.B

    Alan Guest

    "Tim.B" <> wrote in message
    > Hey guys here my network
    >

    > Belkin adsl/modem router Hooked up to a Belkin N router Set to
    > access point
    >

    > I'm hooked up to the adsl modem/router
    >

    > 2 Computers Wired Into the Belkin N Router
    >
    > and 2 laptops connected wirelessly to the belkin N router
    >

    > What I'm needing is a program to monitor internet usage from each
    > computer with out having to install the program or a client on all
    > the computers would like only to install it on my pc
    >

    > Thank you in advance
    > Tim

    Hi Tim,

    To do this, I would suggest you put an old machine running Linux (or
    BSD perhaps) between the Belkin N-Router and the Belkin ADSL Modem /
    Router.

    Since all the computers are connected to the N-Router either
    wirelessly or wired, then all the traffic must be passing from that
    router to the Modem / Router.

    If you put another machine in between them and run something to log
    traffic from there, then it would get the lot.

    I am thinking that, potentially, the N-Router (which WAN-side would be
    on the same sub-net as the logging machine) could be configured to use
    the logger as it's default gateway, whilst the logger would use the
    Modem / Router as its default gateway. That would avoid you having to
    have two NICs in the logger, although using two NICs is definately
    another possibility.

    An old machine to run, say, BSD would cost next to nothing (a lot of
    businesses would give them away at, say, five years old if you find an
    IT guy and talk nicely). If you had to buy it you'd probably only pay
    $20 max I would guess (that IS a guess!)

    HTH,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Jun 8, 2008
  8. Tim.B

    RL Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Since all the computers are connected to the N-Router either
    > wirelessly or wired, then all the traffic must be passing from that
    > router to the Modem / Router.

    At least one computer is not connected to the router, but assuming that
    can be changed, then what you suggest should work. The OP might not care
    about his own usage of course.

    > I am thinking that, potentially, the N-Router (which WAN-side would be
    > on the same sub-net as the logging machine) could be configured to use
    > the logger as it's default gateway, whilst the logger would use the
    > Modem / Router as its default gateway. That would avoid you having to
    > have two NICs in the logger, although using two NICs is definately
    > another possibility.

    I would definitely use two NICs here.

    > An old machine to run, say, BSD would cost next to nothing (a lot of
    > businesses would give them away at, say, five years old if you find an
    > IT guy and talk nicely). If you had to buy it you'd probably only pay
    > $20 max I would guess (that IS a guess!)

    My main router will be ten years old in August, and is more than
    sufficient for the task, with CPU usage sitting at 2%, memory at 14%.
    It's a Pentium II 450, 384MB RAM, running pfSense 1.2.

    RL
    RL, Jun 8, 2008