Monitoring Multicast Traffic Cisco 3750 Router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by m1hoelbl, May 15, 2008.

  1. m1hoelbl

    m1hoelbl

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hello, first of all sorry for my english it`s not pretty good but I hope you understand.

    I want to monitor the multicast traffic (not the whole traffic) from the Cisco 3750 router and now I have been searching for the solution for a very long time. I try to get traffic information with SNMP. So I was looking for the correct OID and found the ipMRouteInterfaceHCOutMcastOctets-OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.83.1.1.4.1.8 to get the number of octets of multicast packets that have been sent on the interface. In my opinion it sounds very good.

    So I asked for this value for interface 10302 with the following command:
    snmpget -v 2c -c <community> <router> .1.3.6.1.2.1.83.1.1.4.1.8.10302
    And the result was:
    SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.83.1.1.4.1.8.10302 = Counter64: 1484356

    In that thread: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t299987-cannot-calculate-octets.html I read how to calculate the octets into bits. But therefore I need the values from two polls.

    My problem is that the value is changing rarely. Here an extract from the log-file after executing the above command second by second (HH:MM:SS AM <octetvalue for Interface 10302>):
    10:11:14 AM 140328
    10:11:15 AM 159804
    10:11:16 AM 159804
    10:11:17 AM 173276
    10:11:18 AM 173276
    10:11:19 AM 173276
    10:11:20 AM 173276
    10:11:21 AM 173276
    10:11:22 AM 178520
    10:11:23 AM 178520
    10:11:24 AM 184772
    10:11:25 AM 187692
    10:11:26 AM 196128
    10:11:27 AM 196128
    10:11:28 AM 196128
    10:11:29 AM 209192
    10:11:31 AM 209192
    10:11:32 AM 209192
    10:11:33 AM 209192
    10:11:34 AM 209192
    10:11:35 AM 209192
    10:11:36 AM 209192
    10:11:37 AM 209192
    10:11:38 AM 209192
    10:11:39 AM 209192
    10:11:40 AM 209192
    10:11:41 AM 209192
    10:11:42 AM 209192

    I don`t know why but the value is changing very differently (one second 140328, two seconds 159804, five seconds 173276, two seconds 184772,...)

    I only need the multicast traffic for each interface, but I do not know where my mistake is. Is my OID the wrong one or is there another way to achieve my target? I am grateful for any help!

    Markus
    m1hoelbl, May 15, 2008

  2. m1hoelbl

    m1hoelbl

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    No idea? :-(
    I think it is a bug in the firmware (current 12.2.35-SE5), because I tried to do the same with a Cisco 2851 Router and I get meaningful values second by second. But the problem is that I have to do my computation with the Cisco 3750 Router.
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    m1hoelbl, May 20, 2008