    can anybody help/assist me in the right direction please.

    regards

    loeloe
    Loeloe, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Loeloe

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Loeloe wrote:
    > good day,
    >
    > i have a restaurant with a wi-fi hot spot with wep encryption/access
    > enabled but i would like to be able to view/monitor how much bandwidth
    > is being used by the clients.
    > i don't want to install a client onto their notebooks but i would like
    > windows based software that will enable me to see where they are
    > surfing and how much they are downloading.
    > can anybody help/assist me in the right direction please.

    If you got a router there, it does logging and it's on the list, then
    you can use Wallwatcher. WW will see all traffic wired or wireless
    leaving or coming to the LAN.

    http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/

    If the router does logging and is not on the list, then the author of WW
    will work with you and get your brand name and model of router on the list.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 21, 2007

  3. Loeloe

    why? Guest

    On 21 Mar 2007 04:16:12 -0700, Loeloe wrote:

    >good day,
    >
    >i have a restaurant with a wi-fi hot spot with wep encryption/access
    >enabled but i would like to be able to view/monitor how much bandwidth
    >is being used by the clients.

    If you have a managed switch with SNMP you can use MRTG
    http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
    to monitor BW for each switch port.

    There are several packages that will install MRTG/webserver/Perl etc in
    1 go.

    >i don't want to install a client onto their notebooks but i would like
    >windows based software that will enable me to see where they are
    >surfing and how much they are downloading.

    If it's running across encryption you will see less than you think.

    The why of where is also easy you install a transparent proxy server
    like squid
    http://www.squid-cache.org/
    log analysis such as
    http://www.analog.cx/
    or
    http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/
    or pay for 1.

    >can anybody help/assist me in the right direction please.

    Check old posts in 24HSHD I and others have mentioed the above tools and
    others in response to several posts asking what you want. You aren't the
    only one to want the same thing.

    As mentioned the handy wallwatcher.

    For a MS solution, a server running
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/default.mspx
    firewall, reporting cache etc.

    >regards
    >
    >loeloe

    Me
    why?, Mar 21, 2007
  4. Loeloe

    Guest

    On Mar 21, 10:16 pm, "Loeloe" <> wrote:
    > good day,
    >
    > i have a restaurant with a wi-fi hot spot with wep encryption/access
    > enabled but i would like to be able to view/monitor how muchbandwidth
    > is being used by the clients.
    > i don't want to install a client onto their notebooks but i would like
    > windows based software that will enable me to see where they are
    > surfing and how much they are downloading.
    > can anybody help/assist me in the right direction please.

    Traffic Shaper XP is freeware and does connection monitoring and
    statistics: http://bandwidthcontroller.com/trafficShaperXp.html
    , Mar 24, 2007