    --
    Keith (Southend)
    http://www.southendweather.net

    Keith (Southend), Apr 9, 2006

  2. From: "Keith (Southend)" <>

    | I was wondering whether there was a log or software that available that
    | lists ALL remote sites that have connected to your computer through the
    | internet. Would be useful to see whether my firewall and AdAware &
    | Spybot etc was doing it's job.
    |
    | Thanks

    If you use a NAT Router than the Router can log to a SysLog server or to a PC loaded with
    software such as WallWatacher -- http://www.wallwatcher.com/

    My BEFSR81 logs to a PC loaded with WallWatcher.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Apr 9, 2006

  3. David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Keith (Southend)" <>
    >
    > | I was wondering whether there was a log or software that available that
    > | lists ALL remote sites that have connected to your computer through the
    > | internet. Would be useful to see whether my firewall and AdAware &
    > | Spybot etc was doing it's job.
    > |
    > | Thanks
    >
    > If you use a NAT Router than the Router can log to a SysLog server or to a PC loaded with
    > software such as WallWatacher -- http://www.wallwatcher.com/
    >
    > My BEFSR81 logs to a PC loaded with WallWatcher.

    I have a NAT Router so I'll give WallWatcher a go. Many thanks David.

    Keith (Southend), Apr 9, 2006
  4. Keith (Southend)

    Don Kelloway Guest

    "Keith (Southend)" <> wrote in message
    >I was wondering whether there was a log or software that available that
    >lists ALL remote sites that have connected to your computer through the
    >internet. Would be useful to see whether my firewall and AdAware & Spybot
    >etc was doing it's job.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Keith (Southend)
    > http://www.southendweather.net

    For reference and not to pick a nit, there shouldn't be *any* occurrences of
    remote sites connecting to your computer as your firewall solution should
    prevent all inbound connections. However there will be many instances of
    your computer connecting to remote sites and your firewall should be
    configured to record the connection in a log of some sort. It's that log
    which you'll want to examine.

    --
    Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
    Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security

    Don Kelloway, Apr 10, 2006
  5. David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Keith (Southend)" <>
    >
    > | I was wondering whether there was a log or software that available that
    > | lists ALL remote sites that have connected to your computer through the
    > | internet. Would be useful to see whether my firewall and AdAware &
    > | Spybot etc was doing it's job.
    > |
    > | Thanks
    >
    > If you use a NAT Router than the Router can log to a SysLog server or to a PC loaded with
    > software such as WallWatacher -- http://www.wallwatcher.com/
    >
    > My BEFSR81 logs to a PC loaded with WallWatcher.

    Both WallWatcher and Library files downloaded and unzipped into a folder
    and programme exe fine. I don't seem to be seeing any logs and also
    don't see my Router in the list of supported Routers. I have a Solwise
    SAR715. I'll have a read through the help files but is this possibly a
    non-starter?

    Thanks

    Keith (Southend), Apr 10, 2006
  6. From: "Keith (Southend)" <>

    | Both WallWatcher and Library files downloaded and unzipped into a folder
    | and programme exe fine. I don't seem to be seeing any logs and also
    | don't see my Router in the list of supported Routers. I have a Solwise
    | SAR715. I'll have a read through the help files but is this possibly a
    | non-starter?
    |
    | Thanks

    If it is NOT listed the author can add it if it supports SNMP or SysLog.

    David H. Lipman, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Keith (Southend) wrote:

    WallWatcher_Error.log

    2006-04-10 19:47:23.02 Error in IniWrite: invalid Router number; changes
    not saved ; WWver=3.2.2904

    <snip>
    If a programming error occurs, this indicator will turn red and the
    reason will be placed in "WallWatcher_Error.Log". The indicator will
    remain red until you click it to clear the warning.
    <snip>

    It is red.

    Keith (Southend), Apr 10, 2006
  8. From: "Keith (Southend)" <>

    | Keith (Southend) wrote:
    |
    | WallWatcher_Error.log
    |
    | 2006-04-10 19:47:23.02 Error in IniWrite: invalid Router number; changes
    | not saved ; WWver=3.2.2904
    |
    | <snip>
    | If a programming error occurs, this indicator will turn red and the
    | reason will be placed in "WallWatcher_Error.Log". The indicator will
    | remain red until you click it to clear the warning.
    | <snip>
    |
    | It is red.

    From the WallWatcher URL...

    "CONTACT INFORMATION
    support (at) wallwatcher.com (replace " (at) " with "@"). Please include the program name
    ("WallWatcher", "WW", "WRV", "GetLog", or "DShield") in the SUBJECT line to bypass the spam
    filters. "

    David H. Lipman, Apr 10, 2006
  9. David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From the WallWatcher URL...
    >
    > "CONTACT INFORMATION
    > support (at) wallwatcher.com (replace " (at) " with "@"). Please include the program name
    > ("WallWatcher", "WW", "WRV", "GetLog", or "DShield") in the SUBJECT line to bypass the spam
    > filters. "

    <snip>
    If it is NOT listed the author can add it if it supports SNMP or SysLog.
    <snip>

    Thanks David for your help.

    Ok, my Router is a few years old and I found an archive spec for it...

    http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar715.htm

    Just trying to establish whether it does support SysLog before I e-mail
    wallwatcher, but am struggling to find anything that mentions it, which
    leads me to think it doesn't. All I can find is: "· All management and
    monitoring can be done through SNMP or Telnet session. "

    Thanks

    Keith (Southend), Apr 10, 2006
  10. David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Keith (Southend)" <>
    >
    > | Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > |
    > | WallWatcher_Error.log
    > |
    > | 2006-04-10 19:47:23.02 Error in IniWrite: invalid Router number; changes
    > | not saved ; WWver=3.2.2904
    > |
    > | <snip>
    > | If a programming error occurs, this indicator will turn red and the
    > | reason will be placed in "WallWatcher_Error.Log". The indicator will
    > | remain red until you click it to clear the warning.
    > | <snip>
    > |
    > | It is red.
    >
    > From the WallWatcher URL...
    >
    > "CONTACT INFORMATION
    > support (at) wallwatcher.com (replace " (at) " with "@"). Please include the program name
    > ("WallWatcher", "WW", "WRV", "GetLog", or "DShield") in the SUBJECT line to bypass the spam
    > filters. "

    I e-mailed WallWatcher and this is the reply...

    <snip>
    > Hi Keith,
    > The Spec sheet at the link you provided doesn't mention logging or
    > SysLog, and the manual's Table of Contents doesn't seem to mention
    > logging. Without both of those capabilities, the router probably
    > cannot send a real-time record of its activities to one of the LAN
    > stations it protects, and that's the only way a program like
    > WallWatcher can monitor the router.
    >
    > You may want to contact the manufacturer directly to ask about
    > logging, or you may want to browse through the configuration screens
    > your router offers, looking for such a capability.
    >
    > If you find a way to make it send real-time logs to a LAN station,
    > you can use WallWatcher's "Capture" option on its SPECIAL menu, or the
    > "Log Capture" program described at www.wallwatcher.com , to collect
    > sample data that you can send to me. WallWatcher is customized for
    > each router it supports, so it's best to use it that way... if the
    > router can supply the information in the first place.

    <snip>

    So it looks doubtful whether I can run WallWatcher with my Router,
    however I will e-mail the manufacturer.

    Regards

    Keith (Southend), Apr 11, 2006
  11. From: "Keith (Southend)" <>

    | <snip>
    |
    | So it looks doubtful whether I can run WallWatcher with my Router,
    | however I will e-mail the manufacturer.
    |
    | Regards

    Oh well.

    From what I saw it looks like it is a Router/Modem. If it can be placed in a purely
    Briodges mode (modem only) then you may be able to use an external router that will support
    logging.

    David H. Lipman, Apr 11, 2006
  12. David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Keith (Southend)" <>
    >

    > | <snip>
    > |
    > | So it looks doubtful whether I can run WallWatcher with my Router,
    > | however I will e-mail the manufacturer.
    > |
    > | Regards
    > |

    > Oh well.
    >
    > From what I saw it looks like it is a Router/Modem. If it can be placed in a purely
    > Briodges mode (modem only) then you may be able to use an external router that will support
    > logging.

    It will be something I will consider next time I buy a new 4 port ADSL
    Router.

    Thanks

    Keith (Southend), Apr 11, 2006