Monitoring a network using a Catalyst 2950(EI) and PIX 515E

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rob Hulme, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Rob Hulme

    Rob Hulme Guest

    Hi,

    I'm setting up a network using a PIX 515E firewall and a Catalyst 2950
    (Enhanced Image).

    I know that the 2950 supports SNMP and RMON, and I was wondering how
    hard it would be to use these to get statistics / graphs on the
    network utilisation in real time and historically.

    I'd specifically like to be able to see how much bandwidth is being
    consumed filtered by IP / port / etc.

    The equipment will be colocated so I will need to be able to monitor
    them remotely.

    I know little about this area, so any assistance you can give would be
    helpful :D

    I suppose I'm looking for some kind of client that supports RMON.
    Ideally a free / open source Win32 client.

    I would appreciate any help you can give me.

    -Rob
    Rob Hulme, Jan 21, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Rob Hulme <> wrote:
    :I'm setting up a network using a PIX 515E firewall and a Catalyst 2950
    :(Enhanced Image).

    :I know that the 2950 supports SNMP and RMON, and I was wondering how
    :hard it would be to use these to get statistics / graphs on the
    :network utilisation in real time and historically.

    mrtg

    :I suppose I'm looking for some kind of client that supports RMON.
    :Ideally a free / open source Win32 client.

    I think mrtg is written in perl, so you could load in ActiveState perl
    and run mrtg.
    --
    "The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
    -- Dr. Adam Drewnowski
    Walter Roberson, Jan 21, 2004