    Would this be a good buy?
    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks for any help.
    Sam, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Sam

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:00:04 +1200, "Sam" <> wrote:

    >My A.O.C 19" CRT monitor has just died.
    >I am thinking of replacing it with a Philips 17" LCD (170B6CB) costing $462.
    >I don't play games, just normal use.
    >Would this be a good buy?
    >Any other suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks for any help.

    Check the Lamp Warrantee and the Dead Pixel thing..

    Plus most of the cheaper models are not True 16 Million colours.

    So if its a 16.2m then its not, but ok if its a 16.7m, just noticed its not a
    True 16 mil colours, it uses dithering to get the extra colours, they are
    basically a 256k colours screen..

    You also pay more for DVI port and Built in Speakers..

    Fast pixel switching is also needed to Play DVD movies..
    Tony, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Sam

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:00:04 +1200, "Sam" <> wrote:

    >My A.O.C 19" CRT monitor has just died.
    >I am thinking of replacing it with a Philips 17" LCD (170B6CB) costing $462.
    >I don't play games, just normal use.
    >Would this be a good buy?
    >Any other suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks for any help.

    Or you could look at another CRT such as the Disck Smith 17" for $198.
    GraB, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Sam

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:16:45 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:00:04 +1200, "Sam" <> wrote:
    >
    >>My A.O.C 19" CRT monitor has just died.
    >>I am thinking of replacing it with a Philips 17" LCD (170B6CB) costing $462.
    >>I don't play games, just normal use.
    >>Would this be a good buy?
    >>Any other suggestions?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>

    >Or you could look at another CRT such as the Disck Smith 17" for $198.

    But that is NOT a LCD...
    Tony, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Sam

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:12:01 +1200, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:16:45 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:00:04 +1200, "Sam" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My A.O.C 19" CRT monitor has just died.
    >>>I am thinking of replacing it with a Philips 17" LCD (170B6CB) costing $462.
    >>>I don't play games, just normal use.
    >>>Would this be a good buy?
    >>>Any other suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any help.
    >>>

    >>Or you could look at another CRT such as the Disck Smith 17" for $198.

    >But that is NOT a LCD...

    Yes, you are absolutely right!! A CRT monitor is not an LCD. Very
    good. But I was suggesting an alternative at under half the price and
    no possibility of dead pixels.
    GraB, Jun 19, 2005
  6. Sam

    SteveM Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in news:42b4edec$:

    > My A.O.C 19" CRT monitor has just died.
    > I am thinking of replacing it with a Philips 17" LCD (170B6CB) costing
    > $462. I don't play games, just normal use.
    > Would this be a good buy?
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    I have an ex-lease dell 19" Trinitron monitor for sale if you are in
    Auckland.......

    Remove the obvious from my email address above if interested........

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jun 19, 2005
  7. Sam

    Rob Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message news:42b4edec$...
    > My A.O.C 19" CRT monitor has just died.
    > I am thinking of replacing it with a Philips 17" LCD (170B6CB) costing

    $462.
    > I don't play games, just normal use.
    > Would this be a good buy?
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Depends whatyou are using it for. If you are using it for graphics work,
    where colour is important, then no. The thing about some of these new
    screens, is (a) they claim to have fast pxels switching, (up to 8ms) but
    they only display 256 k colours. (b) The viewing angles also aren't good. I
    have a philips 25ms LCD display purchased a few years ago (very expensive at
    that time, but perhaps better quality), and I believe it is so much better
    than the models being sold today. Both the colour is far better, and so are
    the veiwing angles. I also haven't noticed much difference in pixel
    switching speeds. I don't notice any motion blur on mine, however I have
    noticed motion blur on models that claim to be far faster. I also notice
    very little difference in colour or brightness when I view the screen at
    different angles.

    The best thing is to view one in the shop. I have heard that sony have
    released some new ones which use 'clearbright' which is supposed to offer
    really good colour reproduction.
    Rob, Jun 20, 2005