    ups, and power strip, monitor still doesnt respond

    anyone????? im lost.
    , Jan 1, 2006

  2. Donald Guest

    Maybe try putting graphics card in a different slot?

    Donald, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Guest

    hmmmm. i dont think i have more than one slot for the graphics. i'll
    check.
    , Jan 1, 2006
  4. Guest

    ok i dont have another available slot on the motherboard for the card.
    its a giant nvidia card. and it has a fan which turns when i power up,
    so i think its getting power.

    any other suggestions?
    , Jan 1, 2006
  5. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > I am lost on this one. My computer powers on, but no response from the
    > monitor. However:
    >
    > monitor DOES have power
    > Monitor works fine with other computer
    > swapped out graphic card and monitor still doesnt respond
    > swapped cables for new cables, monitor still doesnt respond
    > checked another monitor with system, no response
    > checked and reseated original graphics card, monitor still doesnt
    > respond
    > checked all other cables, everything connected
    > tried plugging computer power and monitor power directly into wall, via
    > ups, and power strip, monitor still doesnt respond
    >

    > anyone????? im lost.

    Two things come to mind.
    1. You have an onboard video card, and the bios is set to use that
    rather than the AGP card.
    2. The slot is stuffed.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Barry OGrady Guest

    On 31 Dec 2005 20:25:42 -0800, wrote:

    >ok i dont have another available slot on the motherboard for the card.
    >its a giant nvidia card. and it has a fan which turns when i power up,
    >so i think its getting power.
    >
    >any other suggestions?

    Try using a mix of upper and lower case.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Jan 1, 2006
  7. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am lost on this one. My computer powers on, but no response from the
    > monitor. However:
    >
    > monitor DOES have power
    > Monitor works fine with other computer
    > swapped out graphic card and monitor still doesnt respond
    > swapped cables for new cables, monitor still doesnt respond
    > checked another monitor with system, no response
    > checked and reseated original graphics card, monitor still doesnt
    > respond
    > checked all other cables, everything connected
    > tried plugging computer power and monitor power directly into wall, via
    > ups, and power strip, monitor still doesnt respond
    >

    > anyone????? im lost.

    Cooper1

    First rule of trouble shooting, divide the job in half.
    You have done the first bit correctly ie is it the monitor or the PC
    You have shown your monitor and cables are fine, with the statement:"Monitor
    works fine with other computer"
    Therefore the logical conclusion is there is no signal from the graphics
    card.
    Remember a monitor won't respond if it doesn't get a signal.

    The known's are:
    1 no signal from the graphics card
    2 there is power at the wall and the PC powers on.
    So you have to now divide the components inside the PC to narrow the problem
    area further still.

    How you do this depends greatly on what you have to hand but things to try
    are:

    Measure the power supply voltages are within 5% of normal, or substitute a
    know good power supply.
    Substitute another graphics card, or use onboard if available.
    Remove all plug in cards, Drive cables etc and all but one stick of ram,
    leave in a known good graphics card.
    Depending on the age of the motherboard keep an eye out for bulging
    capacitors.

    Alternatively you can try the removable components in another suitably
    spec'd PC and see if they come up OK.
    If they all prove OK then the most likely conclusion is the motherboard
    which as a unit is not reguarded as 'repairable' these days.

    Best luck
    Paul.
    PC, Jan 1, 2006
  8. Al Guest

    "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > On 31 Dec 2005 20:25:42 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>ok i dont have another available slot on the motherboard for the card.
    >>its a giant nvidia card. and it has a fan which turns when i power up,
    >>so i think its getting power.
    >>
    >>any other suggestions?

    > Try using a mix of upper and lower case.
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    That was a really helpful piece of advice!!!!
    Al, Jan 1, 2006
  9. Bri. Guest

    In news:FoRtf.4786$,
    Al typed...

    > "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Try using a mix of upper and lower case.
    >>
    >> Barry
    >> =====
    >> Home page
    >> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    > That was a really helpful piece of advice!!!!

    Barry's like that, it's a chance to show
    off his broken sig.

    --
    Bri.
    Bri., Jan 1, 2006
  10. JANA Guest

    Can you get any response if you try to get in to the BIOS mode. Maybe the
    setting is for a PCI card, and you are using an AGP card?

    I have seen a defective mother board also cause your description.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jan 1, 2006
  11. Mistoffolees Guest

    wrote:

    > I am lost on this one. My computer powers on, but no response from the
    > monitor. However:
    >
    > monitor DOES have power
    > Monitor works fine with other computer
    > swapped out graphic card and monitor still doesnt respond
    > swapped cables for new cables, monitor still doesnt respond
    > checked another monitor with system, no response
    > checked and reseated original graphics card, monitor still doesnt
    > respond
    > checked all other cables, everything connected
    > tried plugging computer power and monitor power directly into wall, via
    > ups, and power strip, monitor still doesnt respond
    >

    > anyone????? im lost.

    Based on everything else written earlier, does the monitor
    function when the computer is booted up in Safe Mode? Is the
    monitor working during POST? If so, then check the refresh
    rate that has been set into the video card. Try the refresh
    rate at less than 85 Hz. If unsuccesful, use 75 Hz and, if
    necessasry, 60 Hz.
    Mistoffolees, Jan 1, 2006
  12. Guest

    thanks everyone for your responses. ok. So, as per your advice, I
    have tried another "NEW" graphics card I got from work and that didnt
    respond/work either. i dont have an onboard graphics card as far as
    i can see. I dont know how to meas. the power supply voltages but do
    you mean the power supply on the motherboard or the electrical outlets
    I'm using. Ps. i have plugged the power directly into the wall, my ups
    system and a working power surge protector and none worked.

    i havent tried removing all the other components. i will try that now.

    on another note. when powering up the system, the keyboard wont light
    up (ie. usually the three lights above the keypad blink at least once)
    i tried another mouse/keyboard that i know work and that keyboard didnt
    light up either. i am starting to think something shorted out.
    although i tried substituting a usb keyboard and that didnt respond
    either.

    i built this system a few years ago with some help. it has worked
    beautifully for a long time but it may be time to update the
    motherboard. its a tyan tiger MPX s2466n-4m
    , Jan 1, 2006
  13. Guest

    i cant boot up in safe mode cause i have no display on the monitor.
    , Jan 1, 2006
  14. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > thanks everyone for your responses. ok. So, as per your advice, I
    > have tried another "NEW" graphics card I got from work and that didnt
    > respond/work either. i dont have an onboard graphics card as far as
    > i can see. I dont know how to meas. the power supply voltages but do
    > you mean the power supply on the motherboard or the electrical outlets
    > I'm using. Ps. i have plugged the power directly into the wall, my ups
    > system and a working power surge protector and none worked.
    >
    > i havent tried removing all the other components. i will try that now.
    >

    > on another note. when powering up the system, the keyboard wont light
    > up (ie. usually the three lights above the keypad blink at least once)
    > i tried another mouse/keyboard that i know work and that keyboard didnt
    > light up either. i am starting to think something shorted out.
    > although i tried substituting a usb keyboard and that didnt respond
    > either.
    >
    > i built this system a few years ago with some help. it has worked
    > beautifully for a long time but it may be time to update the
    > motherboard. its a tyan tiger MPX s2466n-4m

    Cooper1

    If your UPS doesn't trip 'on' it's reasonable to say your AC mains are ok.
    All the same plug a lamp or radio into the wall outlet concerned just to
    make sure.

    If the AC is ok as per the check above then measure the output voltages from
    the Power supply inside the PC system box.
    This is the metal box with red/yellow/black wires coming out to the
    hard/floppy/CD drive and another bunch of wires
    orange/grey/green/purple/white/blue/red/yellow/black to a 20 pin plug into
    the motherboard.
    Do NOT open the power supply as they can be 'lethal'.
    Measure the voltages on the pins to the hard/floppy/CD drive (there will
    likely be a spare plug just hanging there) black is negative and the
    red/yellow are +5 volts and +12 volts. The allowable limits are 5V = 4.75 to
    5.25 volts, 12v = 11.4 to 12.6 volts.
    If these are OK check the orange leads on the 20 pin motherboard plug (3.3v
    nominal) are 3.135 to 3.465 volts.
    There is also leads with - (minus)5V and -12V but they are not used much
    these days and can be wildly out.
    If you do not have a 'Voltmeter' to hand try substituting another power
    supply.

    I would think a substitute power supply is probably the better option for
    yourself.

    If the Power supply (or substitute) checks out ok the only option left is to
    remove all the cards, drive leads etc except:
    * front panel power/hdd/reset/speaker etc leads
    *graphics card
    *CPU
    *1 stick of ram.
    Now switch on & see if you have Keyboard flash, video output and any 'beeps'
    from the system speaker.

    If none of these happen it's time to get out the plastic or find yourself a
    hardware 'guru' locally to tell you exactly which part has died.

    Best
    Paul.
    PC, Jan 2, 2006
  15. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > thanks everyone for your responses. ok. So, as per your advice, I
    > have tried another "NEW" graphics card I got from work and that didnt
    > respond/work either. i dont have an onboard graphics card as far as
    > i can see. I dont know how to meas. the power supply voltages but do
    > you mean the power supply on the motherboard or the electrical outlets
    > I'm using. Ps. i have plugged the power directly into the wall, my ups
    > system and a working power surge protector and none worked.
    >
    > i havent tried removing all the other components. i will try that now.
    >

    > on another note. when powering up the system, the keyboard wont light
    > up (ie. usually the three lights above the keypad blink at least once)
    > i tried another mouse/keyboard that i know work and that keyboard didnt
    > light up either. i am starting to think something shorted out.
    > although i tried substituting a usb keyboard and that didnt respond
    > either.
    >
    > i built this system a few years ago with some help. it has worked
    > beautifully for a long time but it may be time to update the
    > motherboard. its a tyan tiger MPX s2466n-4m

    FFS. So the problem is not "the monitor is not responding" - it is the
    computer is not booting up.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jan 2, 2006
  16. w_tom Guest

    PC has described how to start the diagnosis. Foundation of a
    computer is its power supply. If that foundation is compromised, then
    numerous strange problems occur. Some minor corrections. Although +5
    volts must be above 4.75 volts, the meter must read something above
    4.87 due to how meters (non-RMS type) measure voltage. Same applies
    for other voltages on red, orange and yellow wires from power supply
    to motherboard ( above 3.22 and above 11.87 volts). Next verify
    votlages on purple, gray and green wires that measure +5VSB (another 5
    volt power supply) and the Power Good signal. Once these other wire
    voltages verify OK, then power supply integrity is good - move on to
    other suspects.

    Replacing motherboard is called wild speculation or shotgunning.
    First identify the problem. Only then move on to replacing what is
    known to be a defective component.

    w_tom, Jan 2, 2006
  17. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I am lost on this one. My computer powers on, but no response from the
    > monitor. However:
    >
    > monitor DOES have power
    > Monitor works fine with other computer

    Then the problem is with the pc that shows no response. Could just be a
    mis-seated card

    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 2, 2006