    warning before it happens.

    Is it time for a new monitor (this one is 4 years old)?

    I'm running XP home and the monitor is a KDS Avitron.

    Wired_and_Tired, Nov 24, 2005

  2. Wired_and_Tired

    philo Guest

    "Wired_and_Tired" <> wrote in message
    news:70khf.3373$...
    > My monitor has begun going blank at random intervals. The green light on
    > the power button remains constant but there is just no picture. I've
    > checked cables and the power supply and they seem fine. Sound etc. is
    > unaffected and after 10 or 15 minutes the screen comes right back up where
    > it was when the picture died. This seems to happen once or twice an hour
    > and there is no warning before it happens.

    try a different monitor...

    philo, Nov 24, 2005

  3. Wired_and_Tired

    kenny Guest

    I have seen that happen with a display adaptor... (because of its drivers)

    see if this happens if you update- change the drivers

    kenny, Nov 24, 2005
  4. Wired_and_Tired

    Tony Guest

    My thoughts as well. The OP could also check that he has the correct screen
    resolution set for the monitor.

    Tony, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Thanks for the tips. I updated the drivers before posting. Maybe it's just
    time for a new unit.

    Wired_and_Tired, Nov 24, 2005
  6. Wired_and_Tired

    seymour Guest

    is the fan turning on the graphic card
    it may be overheating

    seymour, Nov 25, 2005
  7. Wired_and_Tired

    Keme Guest

    Wired_and_Tired wrote:
    > Thanks for the tips. I updated the drivers before posting. Maybe it's just
    > time for a new unit.

    Shouldn't die after 4 years of normal use, not even if continuously on
    for 4 years straight (working with server maintenance I've seen several
    server console screens enduring that). If it's a CRT, a lot of on/off
    activity, too high or low (!) supply voltage and "dirty power" (as in an
    industrial environment) can cause this, but if it's at home I'd suspect
    other causes too:
    If you have a high performance video adapter I'd suspect that first. See
    other posts for proper advice.

    That aside:
    Is the environment for the screen dusty or humid, or do anyone smoke in
    the room?
    - Humidity can lead to both stray currents and corrosion, which can
    destroy the unit beyond reasonable repair.
    - Dust can be removed by blowing (not too high pressure!) and vacuuming.
    - Tobacco fumes can leave a nasty residue on circuit boards and other
    exposed parts, and lead to stray currents. Thorough cleaning can fix it,
    but be warned: Very high voltage can be present in a CRT for days after
    disconnecting it from external power. Don't open it yourself unless
    you're absolutely sure of what you're doing!

    If there's been smoking in the room, the computer itself may need
    cleaning, too. I recommend that you use electronics cleaning agents
    exclusively (no lubricating/cleaning combination agents). Electronics
    cleaning agents are often highly flammable, so don't connect the power
    until any residue and fumes are gone.

    Keme, Nov 25, 2005