    I sure could use your help.

    Thanks,

    Kyle

    KM, Aug 31, 2005

  2. KM

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:00:44 GMT, KM <> wrote:

    >Having trouble with a pc monitor. When you trun the monitor on the
    >green light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes yellow.
    >
    >Monitor? or P.C.?
    >
    >I have checked the cables and connections to the best of my ability
    >and all seems well.
    >
    > The way I understand it is that the monitor must receive a signal
    >from the pc to turn on. If not, the monitor will stay in standby or
    >suspend mode right??

    Correct. Could be a monitor or could be video card.

    Best way to make sure is whichever is easier - try a different monitor
    on computer, or the monitor on another computer.

    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2005

  3. KM wrote:

    > Having trouble with a pc monitor. When you trun the monitor on the
    > green light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes yellow.
    >
    > Monitor? or P.C.?

    If you know how to access your computers bios screen, do this. Any monitor
    and graphic card should take that resolution and frequency. If the monitor
    still fails, either it is defective or the graphic card.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Aug 31, 2005
  4. KM

    Rick Merrill Guest

    KM wrote:
    > Having trouble with a pc monitor. When you trun the monitor on the
    > green light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes yellow.
    >
    > Monitor? or P.C.?
    >
    > I have checked the cables and connections to the best of my ability
    > and all seems well.

    Look INSIDE the connector(s) and make sure all the pins are the same
    length. If the 'sync' signal pin is too short it may just need to be
    pulled out to be the same as the other pins. This happens once in a while.

    > The way I understand it is that the monitor must receive a signal
    > from the pc to turn on. If not, the monitor will stay in standby or
    > suspend mode right??

    Right.

    Rick Merrill, Aug 31, 2005
  5. KM

    KM Guest

    Tried a second monitor and the same happens. This pc is a 2 yr old
    Compaq presario with a built in video card on the mother board. Can I
    simply buy a stand alone video card and go from there? Will the pc
    recognize it without getting into the bios?

    Thanks again,
    Kyle

    KM, Aug 31, 2005
  6. KM

    Rick Merrill Guest

    KM wrote:
    > Tried a second monitor and the same happens.

    Same cable???

    Rick Merrill, Sep 1, 2005
  7. KM

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:51:52 -0400, Rick Merrill
    <> wrote:

    >Same cable???

    I don't recall the last time I've seen a monitor where the cable
    wasn't part of the monitor.. :)

    Evan Platt, Sep 2, 2005
  8. KM

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:51:52 -0400, Rick Merrill
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Same cable???

    > I don't recall the last time I've seen a monitor where the cable
    > wasn't part of the monitor.. :)

    Mercy, I guess it isn't done, but you still need to look at the
    pins on the cable.

    Rick Merrill, Sep 2, 2005
  9. KM wrote:

    > Tried a second monitor and the same happens. This pc is a 2 yr old
    > Compaq presario with a built in video card on the mother board. Can I
    > simply buy a stand alone video card and go from there? Will the pc
    > recognize it without getting into the bios?

    Does it have a agp slot? If it has, it will most probably recognize a video
    card you inserted. But there is a good (rather bad) chance your mobo got
    serious other problems (too) and is about to die completely, so better
    borrow a graphic card to try out.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 2, 2005
  10. KM

    KM Guest

    Yea the monitor has a "hard wired" cable. The 2nd monitor had the same
    issues. I am going to take the suggestion to borrow a video card. I
    will give it a shot this weekend.

    I appreciate the help and support.

    thanks!!

    Kyle