    Any ideas????

    Thanks,

    Kyle

    KM, Sep 5, 2005

  2. KM

    Toolman Tim Guest

    KM wrote:
    > Folks,
    > Here's the long and short of it. Mother's pc....monitor won't fire
    > up. Tried 2 additional monitors on the same pc...nothing. Plug monitor
    > into my laptop..all is fine!
    >
    > Assumed it was the video card (built into the motheboard) bought a
    > new stand alone pci video card. Still nothing.
    >
    > Seems as though the pc will not send the signal to the monitor "to
    > wake up"
    >
    > Any ideas????
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kyle

    Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS? (Can you ever even *see* the
    BIOS <g>?)

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005

  3. KM

    DB Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:00:55 GMT, KM <> wrote:

    >Folks,
    > Here's the long and short of it. Mother's pc....monitor won't fire
    >up. Tried 2 additional monitors on the same pc...nothing. Plug monitor
    >into my laptop..all is fine!
    >
    > Assumed it was the video card (built into the motheboard) bought a
    >new stand alone pci video card. Still nothing.
    >
    > Seems as though the pc will not send the signal to the monitor "to
    >wake up"
    >
    >Any ideas????
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Kyle

    In order to use the PCI video card you may have to disable the onboard
    video card - that might be done either in BIOS or by a jumper on the
    motherboard.

    Find the maker of the motherboard, and search on the web for the
    manual, you might be able to disable onboard video and it'll then
    start using the PCI card.

    It also might not be the video, it could be memory, CPU, just about
    anything.

    Sorry I can't give you anything more specific, but it could be any
    number of things causing the problem.

    DB, Sep 5, 2005
  4. KM

    KM Guest

    No can't see any display (that is the kicker) I wish that I could
    disable the video in the system BIOS. I am racking my brain trying to
    figure how to get around this.

    Thanks!!

    KM, Sep 5, 2005
  5. KM

    Keme Guest

    KM wrote:
    > No can't see any display (that is the kicker) I wish that I could
    > disable the video in the system BIOS. I am racking my brain trying to
    > figure how to get around this.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    [...]
    Info please:
    What make is the computer/motherboard? Do you hear any beep pattern when
    you power up? Do the chassis/cpu fans start? Are there any lights lit on
    the cabinet (power, HDD) or on the motherboard (network, power pilot)?
    Any metal objects or other conductive material on the MB? Dust buildup
    under the MB or inside the powersupply?

    Keme, Sep 5, 2005
  6. KM

    DB Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:12:55 GMT, KM <> wrote:

    >No can't see any display (that is the kicker) I wish that I could
    >disable the video in the system BIOS. I am racking my brain trying to
    >figure how to get around this.
    >
    >Thanks!!
    >
    >On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:03:20 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>KM wrote:
    >>> Folks,
    >>> Here's the long and short of it. Mother's pc....monitor won't fire
    >>> up. Tried 2 additional monitors on the same pc...nothing. Plug monitor
    >>> into my laptop..all is fine!
    >>>
    >>> Assumed it was the video card (built into the motheboard) bought a
    >>> new stand alone pci video card. Still nothing.
    >>>
    >>> Seems as though the pc will not send the signal to the monitor "to
    >>> wake up"
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas????
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Kyle

    >>Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS? (Can you ever even *see* the
    >>BIOS <g>?)

    Have you tried what I suggested (jumper?)

    Also, it's considered better to reply at the bottom of a post, that
    way things get less confused.

    DB, Sep 5, 2005
  7. KM

    KM Guest

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 23:26:35 +0100, DB <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:12:55 GMT, KM <> wrote:
    >
    >>No can't see any display (that is the kicker) I wish that I could
    >>disable the video in the system BIOS. I am racking my brain trying to
    >>figure how to get around this.
    >>
    >>Thanks!!
    >>
    >>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:03:20 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS? (Can you ever even *see* the
    >>>BIOS <g>?)

    >Have you tried what I suggested (jumper?)
    >
    >Also, it's considered better to reply at the bottom of a post, that
    >way things get less confused.

    No I am not at my mother's home at the moment. I will however, check
    on the motherboard and see if there is a jumper or some way to get
    around the onboard vcard.
    The fans do fire up, and I can hear the hard disk winding up. No
    beeps though.

    Thanks again,

    Kyle

    KM, Sep 5, 2005
  8. KM

    Toolman Tim Guest

    KM wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 23:26:35 +0100, DB <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 22:12:55 GMT, KM <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> No can't see any display (that is the kicker) I wish that I could
    >>> disable the video in the system BIOS. I am racking my brain trying
    >>> to figure how to get around this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!!

    >> Have you tried what I suggested (jumper?)
    >>
    >> Also, it's considered better to reply at the bottom of a post, that
    >> way things get less confused.

    > No I am not at my mother's home at the moment. I will however, check
    > on the motherboard and see if there is a jumper or some way to get
    > around the onboard vcard.
    > The fans do fire up, and I can hear the hard disk winding up. No
    > beeps though.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Kyle

    Just because the fans go, and the hard drive spins up, that doesn't mean the
    computer is even actually running. The hardware you are talking about only
    indicate that the PS is working, and the motherboard has some ability to
    recognize a power-on signal. Beyond that, you could have no CPU (hence, no
    beeps) or other system failures.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2005
  9. KM

    PC Guest

    "KM" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    > Here's the long and short of it. Mother's pc....monitor won't fire
    > up. Tried 2 additional monitors on the same pc...nothing. Plug monitor
    > into my laptop..all is fine!
    >
    > Assumed it was the video card (built into the motheboard) bought a
    > new stand alone pci video card. Still nothing.
    >
    > Seems as though the pc will not send the signal to the monitor "to
    > wake up"
    >
    > Any ideas????
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kyle

    Kyle

    Hate to say it but is it just the video card?
    Does the powersupply fan/ CPU fan run, do the lights come on, can you hear
    the hard drive start?
    If they don't then start looking at the power supply.
    If they do, the fact that the powersupply fires up and all the lights come
    on does not mean the motherboard itself is going.
    The video output only comes after the motherboard has finished it's initial
    POST (power on self test)
    Any component failure before this point will give the same symptoms you are
    seeing, ie no video.

    Check the voltages supplied by the power supply (usually marked on the side
    of the power supply)
    Try disconnecting/removing everything except the motherboard, CPU & 1 stick
    of RAM and see if it will work then.
    If it does, replace parts till it stops and then you have the culprit.

    If it still does not go the 'practical' test is to try your RAM & CPU in
    another running system that will take those parts.
    If they check out ok the 'practical' solution is to install a new
    motherboard.
    If this is where you end up do your sums first as often a new motherboard
    means new CPU, RAM, Powersupply etc because nothing fits or is under
    specified for the new parts.
    = cheaper to go buy a new system box, mount your old hard drive as a slave
    to extract the old 'data'

    Example (from real life)
    (local prices your's may vary)

    HP Presario, powersupply runs, no video, no beeps, hard drive spinning, fans
    running.
    Motherboard Capacitors bulging, need to be replaced.
    New Capacitors = $200 incl fitting. NO guarantee's it will work anyway, dead
    end.
    Try new motherboard, original HP no longer available, generic low end
    replacement $100 (better spec than original)
    However new motherboard won't take old CPU Ram etc, = new CPU / RAM to fit
    $250
    Old Powersupply now to small = new power supply $65.
    Original HP tied Windows won't now install to generic motherboard = new copy
    of Windows (OEM) $185
    Total cost for parts = $600 + assembly/install costs.
    And you end up with old hard drive, floppy, CD rom drives and case.

    New 'upgrade' box only $ 550 depending on spec.

    Regardz
    Paul.

    PC, Sep 5, 2005
  10. KM

    Joee Guest

    Joee, Sep 6, 2005
  11. KM wrote:

    > Folks,
    > Here's the long and short of it. Mother's pc....monitor won't fire
    > up. Tried 2 additional monitors on the same pc...nothing. Plug monitor
    > into my laptop..all is fine!
    >
    > Assumed it was the video card (built into the motheboard) bought a
    > new stand alone pci video card. Still nothing.
    >
    > Seems as though the pc will not send the signal to the monitor "to
    > wake up"
    >
    > Any ideas????

    Did they add another pci card or muck with the bios before that happened?
    There is (besides mainboard failure) a small chance the resources
    (irq/ioports) of the onboard video got occupied or "shared" by another
    device which wasn't there first, or the bios settings got mangled.
    Open the box, take out every addon pci cards, even sound, nic, modem or
    whatever, except graphic card. If that still doesn't work, find the cmos
    battery and remove it for a while (power cord unplugged). Then shorten the
    contact strips for a moment, take back the battery and hope the best.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 6, 2005