    VGA are two different things so what would I have to use to do this? Thank
    you in advance for any help,
    Chris
    Chris Fonville, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Chris Fonville

    Noozer Guest

    "Chris Fonville" <> wrote in message
    news:cjp8tv$7llt$...
    > I am looking for a monitor with a small VGA connector. What I'm talking
    > about is how far it comes out from the computer when plugged in, do they
    > make them an inch or smaller? If not, is there anywhere I can buy a

    smaller
    > end, so I can cut and solder the wires myself? I have found the

    radioshack
    > part #, but I'm not sure if it's any smaller or not.

    Why? You can't put your PC flat against the wall anyhow or the PSU will
    overheat. Cutting and resoldering will most likely degrade the qualitiy of
    the picture due to the damage to the shielding.

    If the monitor is too close to the wall, just get a monitor where the plug
    isn't at the very back of the monitor. Many have the plug pointing down.

    > I was also wondering if there were CRT monitors that the VGA connector
    > unplugs from both the computer AND on the monitor itself?

    Some do, but I don't know of any models offhand. I know I have a 15" here
    someplace that has a separate cable. I don't think I've seen an LCD monitor
    that has the cable attached.

    > The last thing that might help me is whether or not I can use the S-Video
    > out on my video card to output to the monitor? I have read that S-Video

    and
    > VGA are two different things so what would I have to use to do this?

    SVideo would be for going to a TV or VCR. Definately NOT compatible with a
    VGA monitor.
    Noozer, Oct 3, 2004

  3. "Noozer" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Fonville" <> wrote in message
    >> I am looking for a monitor with a small VGA connector. What I'm talking
    >> about is how far it comes out from the computer when plugged in, do they
    >> make them an inch or smaller? If not, is there anywhere I can buy a

    > smaller
    >> end, so I can cut and solder the wires myself? I have found the

    > radioshack
    >> part #, but I'm not sure if it's any smaller or not.

    > Why? You can't put your PC flat against the wall anyhow or the PSU will
    > overheat. Cutting and resoldering will most likely degrade the qualitiy of
    > the picture due to the damage to the shielding.
    >
    > If the monitor is too close to the wall, just get a monitor where the plug
    > isn't at the very back of the monitor. Many have the plug pointing down.

    I'm not using a standard case. It's a project I'm working on and the case
    is completely custom. Putting it against the wall has nothing to do with
    it. I'm thinking of buying a 15-pin d-sub male connector from radioshack,
    soldering the wires and testing it on a test monitor. The plug from the
    monitor also has nothing to do with it, except that I would prefer that,
    when moving the computer, I could leave the cord attached to the computer
    and simply unplug it from the monitor. This is not required though.

    >> I was also wondering if there were CRT monitors that the VGA connector
    >> unplugs from both the computer AND on the monitor itself?

    > Some do, but I don't know of any models offhand. I know I have a 15" here
    > someplace that has a separate cable. I don't think I've seen an LCD
    > monitor
    > that has the cable attached.
    >
    >> The last thing that might help me is whether or not I can use the S-Video
    >> out on my video card to output to the monitor? I have read that S-Video

    > and
    >> VGA are two different things so what would I have to use to do this?

    > SVideo would be for going to a TV or VCR. Definately NOT compatible with a
    > VGA monitor.

    And there's no way it can be adapted in any way? If not, why? I didn't
    think this was an option, but I am curious as to why. Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Fonville, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Chris Fonville

    Thor Guest

    > "Noozer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris Fonville" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am looking for a monitor with a small VGA connector. What I'm talking
    >>> about is how far it comes out from the computer when plugged in, do they
    >>> make them an inch or smaller? If not, is there anywhere I can buy a

    >> smaller
    >>> end, so I can cut and solder the wires myself? I have found the

    >> radioshack
    >>> part #, but I'm not sure if it's any smaller or not.

    >> Why? You can't put your PC flat against the wall anyhow or the PSU will
    >> overheat. Cutting and resoldering will most likely degrade the qualitiy
    >> of
    >> the picture due to the damage to the shielding.
    >>
    >> If the monitor is too close to the wall, just get a monitor where the
    >> plug
    >> isn't at the very back of the monitor. Many have the plug pointing down.

    > I'm not using a standard case. It's a project I'm working on and the case
    > is completely custom. Putting it against the wall has nothing to do with
    > it. I'm thinking of buying a 15-pin d-sub male connector from radioshack,
    > soldering the wires and testing it on a test monitor. The plug from the
    > monitor also has nothing to do with it, except that I would prefer that,
    > when moving the computer, I could leave the cord attached to the computer
    > and simply unplug it from the monitor. This is not required though.

    what if you went with a right-angle VGA connector?

    http://www.trinetusa.com/d_vc_c18_hd15mm_r_cables.htm

    Finding a CRT monitor with a detachable cable may be difficult these days. I
    haven't seen one in quite sometime. Although if you are proficient with a
    soldering iron and some fabrication, I don't see why you couldn't retrofit a
    modern CRT case with a VGA jack to accept a detachable cable.
    Thor, Oct 3, 2004
  5. "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Fonville" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Noozer" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Chris Fonville" <> wrote in message
    >>> smaller
    >>> radioshack
    >>>
    >>> Why? You can't put your PC flat against the wall anyhow or the PSU will
    >>> overheat. Cutting and resoldering will most likely degrade the qualitiy
    >>> of
    >>> the picture due to the damage to the shielding.
    >>>
    >>> If the monitor is too close to the wall, just get a monitor where the
    >>> plug
    >>> isn't at the very back of the monitor. Many have the plug pointing down.

    >> I'm not using a standard case. It's a project I'm working on and the
    >> case is completely custom. Putting it against the wall has nothing to do
    >> with it. I'm thinking of buying a 15-pin d-sub male connector from
    >> radioshack, soldering the wires and testing it on a test monitor. The
    >> plug from the monitor also has nothing to do with it, except that I would
    >> prefer that, when moving the computer, I could leave the cord attached to
    >> the computer and simply unplug it from the monitor. This is not required
    >> though.

    > what if you went with a right-angle VGA connector?
    >
    > http://www.trinetusa.com/d_vc_c18_hd15mm_r_cables.htm

    I like that, and as long as the right-angle end wasn't very long it would
    work well. The only problem is I would need to get an LCD monitor which I
    don't have the budget for.

    > Finding a CRT monitor with a detachable cable may be difficult these days.
    > I haven't seen one in quite sometime. Although if you are proficient with
    > a soldering iron and some fabrication, I don't see why you couldn't
    > retrofit a modern CRT case with a VGA jack to accept a detachable cable.

    I'm not so much wanting it to detach from the monitor so much as I need the
    computer connector smaller. However, would cutting the monitor cable to
    resolder it cause any problems? Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Fonville, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Chris Fonville

    Thor Guest

    > I'm not so much wanting it to detach from the monitor so much as I need
    > the computer connector smaller. However, would cutting the monitor cable
    > to resolder it cause any problems? Thanks,
    > Chris

    No. Not as long it is done correctly, and keep the unshielded wire length to
    a minimum.
    Thor, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Chris Fonville

    kony Guest

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:22:04 -0500, "Chris Fonville"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I'm not using a standard case. It's a project I'm working on and the case
    >is completely custom. Putting it against the wall has nothing to do with
    >it. I'm thinking of buying a 15-pin d-sub male connector from radioshack,
    >soldering the wires and testing it on a test monitor. The plug from the
    >monitor also has nothing to do with it, except that I would prefer that,
    >when moving the computer, I could leave the cord attached to the computer
    >and simply unplug it from the monitor. This is not required though.

    Not a good idea to move equipment with a (relatively) heavy
    cord attached, it may strain the connections or socket mount
    on the PCB.

    >> SVideo would be for going to a TV or VCR. Definately NOT compatible with a
    >> VGA monitor.

    >And there's no way it can be adapted in any way? If not, why? I didn't
    >think this was an option, but I am curious as to why. Thanks,

    SVideo can be converted with more hardware (external
    coverter box), but SVideo is a different format, is
    inferior... converting back will result in very, very poor
    signal unsuited for use for more than watching movies or
    playing low-res games.
    kony, Oct 4, 2004
  8. "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm not so much wanting it to detach from the monitor so much as I need
    >> the computer connector smaller. However, would cutting the monitor cable
    >> to resolder it cause any problems? Thanks,
    >> Chris

    > No. Not as long it is done correctly, and keep the unshielded wire length
    > to a minimum.

    I picked up the 15 pin d-sub solder connector today (2 of them) at
    radioshack and will try this. Hopefully it will work. Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Fonville, Oct 4, 2004
  9. "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:22:04 -0500, "Chris Fonville"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >>I'm not using a standard case. It's a project I'm working on and the case
    >>is completely custom. Putting it against the wall has nothing to do with
    >>it. I'm thinking of buying a 15-pin d-sub male connector from radioshack,
    >>soldering the wires and testing it on a test monitor. The plug from the
    >>monitor also has nothing to do with it, except that I would prefer that,
    >>when moving the computer, I could leave the cord attached to the computer
    >>and simply unplug it from the monitor. This is not required though.

    > Not a good idea to move equipment with a (relatively) heavy
    > cord attached, it may strain the connections or socket mount
    > on the PCB.

    If I do have it where the cord can be disconnected from the monitor, the
    wire will be attached the inside of the computer as to not pull on the card,
    etc.

    >>> SVideo would be for going to a TV or VCR. Definately NOT compatible with
    >>> VGA monitor.

    >>And there's no way it can be adapted in any way? If not, why? I didn't
    >>think this was an option, but I am curious as to why. Thanks,

    > SVideo can be converted with more hardware (external
    > coverter box), but SVideo is a different format, is
    > inferior... converting back will result in very, very poor
    > signal unsuited for use for more than watching movies or
    > playing low-res games.

    Thanks for that info, I will just have to stick with the VGA then. Thanks
    again,
    Chris
    Chris Fonville, Oct 4, 2004
  10. Chris Fonville

    kony Guest

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:03:59 -0500, "Chris Fonville"
    <> wrote:

    >> Not a good idea to move equipment with a (relatively) heavy
    >> cord attached, it may strain the connections or socket mount
    >> on the PCB.
    >>

    >If I do have it where the cord can be disconnected from the monitor, the
    >wire will be attached the inside of the computer as to not pull on the card,
    >etc.

    Monitors are often a different story, typically the cord has
    a moulded flange where it enters the monitor, if not another
    mechanism clamping down at that point, making it distinctly
    more secure than at the other end. I actually prefer
    permanently attached monitor cord due to removal of that
    pair of mechanical connectors.
    kony, Oct 4, 2004
  11. Chris Fonville

    Bronney Hui Guest

    Watch out though, as if your video jack's inverted when setup, the cable
    could end up pointing to the left instead of the right. So if left/right's
    a concern. Take note.

    "Chris Fonville" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:cjpulm$7v2n$ ¤¤¼¶¼g...

    Bronney Hui, Oct 5, 2004
  12. "Bronney Hui" <> wrote in message
    > Watch out though, as if your video jack's inverted when setup, the cable
    > could end up pointing to the left instead of the right. So if
    > left/right's
    > a concern. Take note.

    I'm not sure that I follow... the d-sub connector will only fit one way, I
    am just not understanding. What do you mean? Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Fonville, Oct 5, 2004
  13. Chris Fonville

    bronney Guest

    Chris,

    I am guessing that you'd like a small connector because there will be
    very little space at the back of your computer case once setup,
    correct?

    So that when everything's setup the cable should point to the right
    direction, either sticking out to the left or the right of the back of
    the case right? Thing is, I went thru more than 8 video cards in my
    life and noticed that the orientation of the D-Sub jack on video cards
    can vary. Some with the trapazoid pointing up and some pointing down.

    So now if you got the 90° VGA cord, and there's only 1 way the plug
    would fit on the jack, you gotto find out in advance whether the cable
    would point left or right after plugged in. You don't want a loop of
    cable at the back of the case I suppose. Assuming placement of your
    case in the environment matters.

    -bron

    bronney, Oct 7, 2004
  14. Thanks for everybody's help, however I found this type of cord:
    http://hallresearch.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ultrathin-4-300.jpg

    which is exactly what I need. The price is steep (I only needed a 3 ft.
    cord, but that was $15 after shipping). The cord actually connects inside
    the case, the ports aren't on the outside of the computer. Having the
    computer against a wall has nothing to do with it. I hope this helps
    somebody who would like a smaller vga cord,
    Chris

    Chris Fonville, Oct 8, 2004
  15. Chris Fonville

    Thor Guest

    > Thanks for everybody's help, however I found this type of cord:
    > http://hallresearch.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ultrathin-4-300.jpg
    >
    > which is exactly what I need. The price is steep (I only needed a 3 ft.
    > cord, but that was $15 after shipping). The cord actually connects inside
    > the case, the ports aren't on the outside of the computer. Having the
    > computer against a wall has nothing to do with it. I hope this helps
    > somebody who would like a smaller vga cord,
    > Chris

    Probably a good thing you only need it to be 3ft. A VGA cord that thin would
    probably degrade the signal too much if it were 6 or 10ft. VGA signals are
    very weak and easily degraded by poor shielding and excessive cable lengths.
    Generally, if you need a cable longer than 6 ft, it needs to have very good
    shielding, and better-than-average wire quality.
    Thor, Oct 8, 2004