    Any assistance or advice very much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    C.C.
    Champagne Charlie, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Champagne Charlie

    °Mike° Guest

    Either take it to a repair shop, or replace it.

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:30:36 -0000, in
    <P0YOb.98$i%>
    "Champagne Charlie" <Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Thanks Mike. The monitor isn't 'broken' as such, so I'm not going to pay the
    'vultures' to do what I can do by myself. Thanks for the tip, but I like to
    have a go at sorting things out by myself, it's just that I really would
    like some opinions on this one.
    Cheers.
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Champagne Charlie

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:52:15 -0000, in
    <7lYOb.184$i%>
    "Champagne Charlie" <Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk>
    scrawled:

    >Thanks Mike. The monitor isn't 'broken' as such,

    It's not working, therefore it's broken.

    >so I'm not going to pay the 'vultures' to do what I can do by myself.

    I can understand that, but the problem is that diagnosing hardware
    faults is a job for somebody "on site". Do you not have a shop that
    would give you a free estimate (so you have an idea of what's wrong)?

    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Champagne Charlie

    ICee Guest

    Champagne Charlie wrote:
    > My monitor is forever 'cutting' out on me. The screen just goes blank
    > 'for no apparent reason'. I took it to a friend's and tried it on his
    > PC.....same result! I can hear a relay (or something) near the
    > monitor's switch clicking when the picture comes and goes. Also, if I
    > loosen the connection where the monitor plugs into the PC's video
    > output and wiggle it, the same thing happens, so does this suggest
    > it's problem with the plug? Or the socket? Or both? How can I find
    > out what the 'real' cause of this problem is? The video (chip) is
    > built into the motherboard, not a seperate card. The soldered side of
    > the socket (inside the PC) 'looks' okay, (where it is sodered onto
    > the motherboard) but I'm not an expert, so maybe it could be there's
    > something wrong here? Is there a way to clean the plug's pins and the
    > socket's holes? What can I use for this job? It's driving me nuts! It
    > 'can' run okay for hours...'sometimes! Mostly though, it's very
    > erratic and unpredictable. Oh yes....'when the picture dissappears,
    > the monitor pops up a message to say that there is no signal input so
    > check all connections.
    > Any assistance or advice very much appreciated.
    > Thanks!
    > C.C.

    Naturally, if you loosen the connector and wiggle it, the video will cut
    out. The problem is with the monitor, as you proved by trying it on
    another system. It's time for a new monitor.
    ICee, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Champagne Charlie

    Harrison Guest

    There are few to no user serviceable aspects of a monitor.
    There is also a fair risk of injury associated with capacitors if you
    don't know what you're doing.
    It's best to replace the monitor. They are so cheap these days that it
    hardly makes sense to even take it to a repair shop.

    Harrison, Jan 19, 2004