    Any advice appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Brian

    m2424l, Dec 21, 2003

  2. m2424l

    Thor Guest

    describe the problem in more detail if you can. Where does the shadowing
    occur exactly? I ask, because from your initial description, it could be the
    video card. I've seen some video cards failing that caused shadows to
    stretch from the right side of text, and icons on the screen.

    Thor, Dec 21, 2003

  3. m2424l

    Jerry G. Guest

    First try the display card, or another known good monitor on the machine.

    If you have a shadow effect, this can be from some failed components in the
    monitor that are causing a low frequency response fault in the video
    amplifier sections. Also, a defective CRT can cause this effect.

    If you can prove that the monitor is defective, you will have to take it in
    for an estimate. You can also take it straight off to a service centre to
    have it verified for you. You may find that the cost of servicing it, may
    be too expensive in relation to replacing it.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Dec 22, 2003
  4. m2424l

    m2424l Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > describe the problem in more detail if you can. Where does the shadowing
    > occur exactly? I ask, because from your initial description, it could be

    the
    > video card. I've seen some video cards failing that caused shadows to
    > stretch from the right side of text, and icons on the screen.

    Thor,
    The shadowing is on the same horizontal line as text, or any image
    especially once you open a window...
    Thanks for your help I'll look at the video card
    Brian

    m2424l, Dec 24, 2003
  5. m2424l

    m2424l Guest

    Jerry, Thanks for the input I'll also try another monitor
    Brian

    m2424l, Dec 24, 2003
  6. m2424l

    Thor Guest

    "m2424l" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > describe the problem in more detail if you can. Where does the shadowing
    > > occur exactly? I ask, because from your initial description, it could be

    > the
    > > video card. I've seen some video cards failing that caused shadows to
    > > stretch from the right side of text, and icons on the screen.

    > Thor,
    > The shadowing is on the same horizontal line as text, or any image
    > especially once you open a window...
    > Thanks for your help I'll look at the video card
    > Brian

    IIRC, the early Nvidia Vanta chipset cards had a big problem with this. Lots
    of early cards were made with that chipset and didn't include a heatsink on
    the GPU. After awhile it burns up, and the first symptom was exactly the
    weird shadows you described.

    Thor, Dec 24, 2003
  7. m2424l

    Spajky® Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:24:15 -0500, "m2424l" <>
    wrote:

    >The shadowing is on the same horizontal line as text, or any image
    >especially once you open a window...
    >Thanks for your help I'll look at the video card

    check the connectors & also if you open monitor (precautions needed !)
    check the contacts of the cable inside it!
    This is s tipical syndrome of non-matched impedance (because of bad
    contact also) ... use some contact spray to clean them ...

    -- Regards, MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
    Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky®, Dec 24, 2003