Monitor sessions

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by TL, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. TL

    TL Guest

    Can anyone shed some light on this issue.

    When i enable monitor session the destination port disables

    monitor session 1 source interface FastEthernet1/0/1
    monitor session 1 destination interface FastEthernet1/0/15

    Both are in the default same VLan
    this is the output of sho monitor

    Type : Local Session
    Source Ports :
    Both : Fa1/0/1
    Destination Ports : Fa1/0/15
    Encapsulation : Native
    Ingress : Disabled

    Switch is a 3750 running ios Version 12.2(25r)SEB

    TL
    TL, Dec 12, 2005

  2. TL

    Hansang Bae Guest

    TL wrote:
    > Can anyone shed some light on this issue.
    > When i enable monitor session the destination port disables

    That is by design.

    > monitor session 1 source interface FastEthernet1/0/1
    > monitor session 1 destination interface FastEthernet1/0/15
    >
    > Both are in the default same VLan
    > this is the output of sho monitor
    >
    > Type : Local Session
    > Source Ports :
    > Both : Fa1/0/1
    > Destination Ports : Fa1/0/15
    > Encapsulation : Native
    > Ingress : Disabled
    >
    > Switch is a 3750 running ios Version 12.2(25r)SEB

    By design, the destination port will not accept any traffic. i.e. you
    can't use your your sniffer port to access your sniffer.

    --

    hsb

    Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to
    Hansang Bae, Dec 13, 2005

  3. TL

    Cen Guest

    It's the correct behaviour.
    However, you can 'inject' traffic into the destination port by using the
    'ingress' parameter of the monitor command.
    Refer to cisco documentation.

    Cen, Dec 13, 2005
  4. TL

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Cen wrote:

    > It's the correct behaviour.
    > However, you can 'inject' traffic into the destination port by using
    > the 'ingress' parameter of the monitor command. Refer to cisco
    > documentation.

    only on some platforms. I believe for the 3750's it is not possible.

    Hansang Bae, Dec 13, 2005
  5. TL

    Guest

    >>> When i enable monitor session the destination port disables
    >> using the 'ingress' parameter of the monitor command.

    > only on some platforms. I believe for the 3750's it is not possible.

    On 4500 I seem to need:

    cat4000-i5s-mz.121-20.EW1

    1 2 1000BaseX (GBIC) Supervisor(active) WS-X4515
    2 48 10/100BaseTX (RJ45)V WS-X4148-RJ45V
    3 48 10/100BaseTX (RJ45)V WS-X4148-RJ45V
    6 48 10/100BaseTX (RJ45)V WS-X4148-RJ45V

    monitor session 1 source interface Fa6/12
    monitor session 1 destination interface Fa2/15 ingress vlan 6 learning

    My PC works right now.

    I do suspect that I have done mon sess and had
    normal traffic 3750 but I can't recall for sure.
    , Dec 13, 2005