    correct colors then revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's causing
    the problem and what I can do to fix it?

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 21, 2008

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message news:gb5tb2$87o$...
    > Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/ digital out for
    > video to a digital/analog converter to the analog cable on the Sony
    > monitor. . Lately, the video has been displaying images that have a
    > reddish tint and the colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this
    > problem before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
    > disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them. Occasionally, the
    > PC will start up displaying the correct colors then revert to the smeared
    > colors. Any idea what's causing the problem and what I can do to fix it?
    >
    > Tom

    Failed to mention the OS is XP PRo sp3

    Tom, Sep 21, 2008

  3. Tom

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message news:gb5tia$9bd$...

    > "Tom" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/ digital out for
    >> video to a digital/analog converter to the analog cable on the Sony
    >> monitor. . Lately, the video has been displaying images that have a
    >> reddish tint and the colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this
    >> problem before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
    >> disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them. Occasionally,
    >> the PC will start up displaying the correct colors then revert to the
    >> smeared colors. Any idea what's causing the problem and what I can do to
    >> fix it?
    >>
    >> Tom

    > Failed to mention the OS is XP PRo sp3

    How old is the Trintron? They are known to die in such colorful ways. I've
    seen several of the 17" models display a reddish tint within Windows on
    their way to failure.

    My 19" Trinitron (IBM) began to "fade" around the edges at desktop along
    with eventually displaying diagonal "pinstripes" visible both at the Windows
    XP splash screen and also less so (but still lightly visible) at desktop.

    If the monitor is older than 3 years old, it might be signalling its
    ultimate exit.

    Have you swapped with a different monitor by any chance?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Tom

    thanatoid Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in

    > Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/
    > digital out for video to a digital/analog converter to the
    > analog cable on the Sony monitor. . Lately, the video has
    > been displaying images that have a reddish tint and the
    > colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this problem
    > before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
    > disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them.
    > Occasionally, the PC will start up displaying the correct
    > colors then revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's
    > causing the problem and what I can do to fix it?
    >
    > Tom

    I have an 11 year old Sony Multiscan 100sx. Over the years it
    had a few minor problems which lasted a few weeks and "went
    away". Sony magic.

    It is now having a more serious problem which I will have to
    have fixed although it also, strangely, appears to be decreasing
    in frequency and "intensity". It is similar to yours, and it is
    intermittent.

    I was told by a technician there is a small PCB right behind the
    Trinitron tube which controls the three RGB colors and that the
    capacitors on it sometimes start going bad. You can tell by
    bulging of the top of the tube-shaped capacitors or by outright
    obvious signs of problems (leaking goo etc.). Poor solder points
    may also be deteriorating - very easily fixed.

    When the image is OK, is it as good as it was 11 years ago. I
    hate LCD's.

    While I am not afraid of fixing a lamp, I do not feel like
    opening up a TV/monitor. But I am reasonably sure I can have
    this problem fixed.

    You can also Google for "CRT monitor color shift repair problem"
    or some such combination. There are lots of repair advice sites.

    If you can find a Trini built in the last few years before those
    idiots stopped making them, GET ONE. Take advantage of all the
    morons switching to the LCD shit. I saw a widescreen (!) Trini
    for about $300 a year or so ago (it was about $2,500 when it
    came out). A high-end Trinitron /should/ last forever (mine is a
    very basic model and it has lasted 11 years of 5-10 hrs. of
    daily use).

    --
    Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
    votes decide everything.

    thanatoid, Sep 21, 2008
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > "Tom" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > How old is the Trintron? They are known to die in such colorful ways.
    > I've seen several of the 17" models display a reddish tint within Windows
    > on their way to failure.
    >
    > My 19" Trinitron (IBM) began to "fade" around the edges at desktop along
    > with eventually displaying diagonal "pinstripes" visible both at the
    > Windows XP splash screen and also less so (but still lightly visible) at
    > desktop.
    >
    > If the monitor is older than 3 years old, it might be signalling its
    > ultimate exit.
    >
    > Have you swapped with a different monitor by any chance?
    >

    > Stew

    It's abput ten years op0ld. I haven't swapped it w/ another because I only
    have this one.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2008
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Tom" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/
    >> digital out for video to a digital/analog converter to the
    >> analog cable on the Sony monitor. . Lately, the video has
    >> been displaying images that have a reddish tint and the
    >> colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this problem
    >> before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
    >> disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them.
    >> Occasionally, the PC will start up displaying the correct
    >> colors then revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's
    >> causing the problem and what I can do to fix it?
    >>
    >> Tom

    > I have an 11 year old Sony Multiscan 100sx. Over the years it
    > had a few minor problems which lasted a few weeks and "went
    > away". Sony magic.
    >
    > It is now having a more serious problem which I will have to
    > have fixed although it also, strangely, appears to be decreasing
    > in frequency and "intensity". It is similar to yours, and it is
    > intermittent.

    Mine started out intermittently and has become chronic.

    > I was told by a technician there is a small PCB right behind the
    > Trinitron tube which controls the three RGB colors and that the
    > capacitors on it sometimes start going bad. You can tell by
    > bulging of the top of the tube-shaped capacitors or by outright
    > obvious signs of problems (leaking goo etc.). Poor solder points
    > may also be deteriorating - very easily fixed.
    >
    > When the image is OK, is it as good as it was 11 years ago. I
    > hate LCD's.
    >
    > While I am not afraid of fixing a lamp, I do not feel like
    > opening up a TV/monitor. But I am reasonably sure I can have
    > this problem fixed.
    >
    > You can also Google for "CRT monitor color shift repair problem"
    > or some such combination. There are lots of repair advice sites.
    >
    > If you can find a Trini built in the last few years before those
    > idiots stopped making them, GET ONE. Take advantage of all the
    > morons switching to the LCD shit. I saw a widescreen (!) Trini
    > for about $300 a year or so ago (it was about $2,500 when it
    > came out). A high-end Trinitron /should/ last forever (mine is a
    > very basic model and it has lasted 11 years of 5-10 hrs. of
    > daily use).

    I'll buy a nice new LCD.

    Tom, Sep 23, 2008